Good doers & hay

trendybraincell

Visit site
I've been trying to come up with some method of slowing The Welsh Cobs hay consumption down for ages :confused: it came to a head yesterday when I gave him his day allowance of hay at 7.30 I went home had breakfast got changed then went back to the stables at 9.30 to hack out...arrive to find he's eaten all his hay :eek: damn greedy thing!!!

After looking at a few sites posted on the BD forum, I got a little creative this afternoon....

Step one: start with 25 gallon water tank
IMG_0084.jpg

Step two: remove excess plastic
IMG_0086.jpg

Step three: measure bottom of tank & cut 22mm plywood to fit
IMG_0087.jpg

Step four: sand
IMG_0088.jpg

Step five: drill as many holes as required
IMG_0089.jpg

Step six: sand all edges, better you get a splinter now than the horse tonight :p
IMG_0091.jpg

Step seven: get helpful dog to tidy up waste
IMG_0090.jpg

Step eight: take to yard, put in hay & place plywood lid on top
IMG_0092.jpg

Step nine: introduce Welsh Cob
IMG_0094.jpg

When I left he still hadn't gone anywhere near it, it could be the most effective tool for weight loss :p we'll see in the morning if his stomach won out over his head :rolleyes:

wellsat

Visit site
How cute is your dog!

Thankfully I don't have to restrict Gerry's hay but I have been there in the past. I think Daisy would have kicked your box to pieces if I'd tried that with her.

devilwoman

Visit site
How funny bless him, his face looks all stunned :D - my fattie would put her front leg in that and pull it over its her "safe" way of battling all things that she's not sure of. hope it works for you.

trendybraincell

Visit site
Its very much a prototype, I had a look at lots of home made ones from the US...I am sceptical if it will be enough, but you have to start somewhere

tobysg

Visit site
Just a thought, from the last pic. Do you not think he could like, somehow, nudge the wood up with his nose/lip and then get the hay from underneath?
or, if he pulled a bit of hay out the wood would come up and out as he pulled it?
Just a ,not very thought about, wondering!

trendybraincell

Visit site
Yes tobysg, he could possibly figure out a way to move the wood, hence I am sceptical about this first version. We have several modifications in mind to deal with the various issues that may arise...this is just the first incarnation :)

RB13, he's far from a good boy!!! I suspect once he gets used to it he will figure out he can move it but then we will try to improve it

trendybraincell

Visit site
Thank you jestickle, ideas are always welcome :)

I will not use haynets for various reasons, so currently just playing with different methods...the site at the end of your thread is the one I was looking at yesterday :)

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Truefully - are you a half harted horse hay dieter? just wondering cos its the kind of thing i have done in the past - you know put the horses "night hay in" go for a wonder and end up nattering round the yard.... then you pop back for a last skip out and see said pony has NO hay left..... so you throw in another 3 sections to last overnight... you get to car and see if frosting over.... so you pop back and throw in another one cos you know he needs to eat to keep warm.

I hate good doers - they should have a health warning on them and only be sold to very strict horse owners ! lol

trendybraincell

Visit site
Truefully - are you a half harted horse hay dieter? just wondering cos its the kind of thing i have done in the past - you know put the horses "night hay in" go for a wonder and end up nattering round the yard.... then you pop back for a last skip out and see said pony has NO hay left..... so you throw in another 3 sections to last overnight... you get to car and see if frosting over.... so you pop back and throw in another one cos you know he needs to eat to keep warm.

I hate good doers - they should have a health warning on them and only be sold to very strict horse owners ! lol

Truthfully.....No

He has 6 kilos am & pm if he's in, he went up to 8 kilos when we were -11 for a week, but back down 6 now

I am one of those very strict owners :D

Last edited: