Good dog bad dog

popcorn1

Visit site
Anyone watching this?

I felt quite sick when they allowed all them dogs to 'share' the birthday cake. An accident waiting to happen.

wren123

Visit site
I agree about the birthday cake scene!
I didn't like it when they let the yellow Labrador type dog jump down from a high wall, not good for joints, the girl laughed.
The dog therapist was a waste of space, terrible with the whippet.

It all seemed a bit chaotic.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It’s got to better than being home alone all day .
the dog yoga scene was hilarious when Enid went for the chicken .

P3LH

Visit site
All I can say is I think I’ll stick with a nice walk before work, and them sleeping all day either alone at home or at my Mum’s house—location not important, as long as there’s a spot that is the most inconvenient and intrusive for them to lie in, they’re good.

mine would hate it. I watched and cringed completely.

Clodagh

Visit site
It’s got to better than being home alone all day .
the dog yoga scene was hilarious when Enid went for the chicken .

I would never, ever use one. If the alternative was rehoming my dogs I would rehome them. I think they are the most bizarre idea ever, devised to make money while either not caring or not knowing how dogs actually interact.
I have a friend who has one and basically 12 dogs are shoved in a large cage together for the day. Owners love it as they go home exhausted, but only as a result of stress.
My point is being home alone all day would be better for the vast majority.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I would never, ever use one. If the alternative was rehoming my dogs I would rehome them. I think they are the most bizarre idea ever, devised to make money while either not caring or not knowing how dogs actually interact.
I have a friend who has one and basically 12 dogs are shoved in a large cage together for the day. Owners love it as they go home exhausted, but only as a result of stress.
My point is being home alone all day would be better for the vast majority.

Amen.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I don’t understand how/why we’ve become a nation of ‘you can’t work and leave a dog at home’.
Even growing up, everyone I know had a dog or in most cases multiple. All worked full time. Dogs were fine.

Same!
I think the over abundance of day care leads to people getting a dog assuming there will always be someone/somewhere else to look after it during the day, then as a result choose an unsuitable breed or do not put the development into the dog/teach it to spend periods of time (which will happen eventually either by design or accident).
Then the dog folds.

Moobli

Visit site
I don’t understand how/why we’ve become a nation of ‘you can’t work and leave a dog at home’.
Even growing up, everyone I know had a dog or in most cases multiple. All worked full time. Dogs were fine.

I don’t know if I’m older but when I was growing up most family homes had a dog but there was also usually a mother/housewife at home during the day. The dog might not have had much interaction or walking/training time but I suppose there was company and someone to let them out to the loo if needed.
I’ve had dogs and worked full time but wouldn’t have trusted a dog walker or chosen daycare had it been an option. My whole life was geared around the dogs though to the detriment of any social life ?. So I know it’s possible and I know many people don’t have a choice but to have to work, but I still don’t think it’s ideal that many dogs are left 8 or more hours a day alone so can see why people choose to employ a dog walker or daycare.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
As Moobli says, back in the day there was usually someone around at least part of the day. When I was breeding I would never sell a pup to someone who worked full time, even if they had arrangements for a lunchtime visit, as I felt it was setting the pup up to fail on house training etc. I have always worked round my dogs, and the most they have been left is 4 or 5 hours, very occasionally longer. I am thinking of having a pup in the not too distant future and my plan is to only be away for a couple of hours at a time whilst it is young.
The thought of these doggy day care centres fills me with horror, there was one on a local news programme a while ago and it made me cringe, you could just see from the body language of some dogs that they weren't happy.

paisley

Visit site
Just too many dogs all together at once- you see it on walks and the scrap coming as dogs feel a bit trapped with no escape. Felt a bit sad for the whippet who was obviously feeling some level of separation anxiety, but I think there's a bit more back story than you can cover in 10 mins (owner was poorly a lot and in and out of hospital)

I've visited one before to see, and instantly knew the whippet would hate it. I have to leave him for longer than I'd like sometimes for work, but the compromise for me is not going out unless he can come too, and two short breaks without him in the last 11 years.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Not all dogs hate it - a friends lab went to one for a while whilst my friend was unwell, she is now well and doesn't need it but still sends him once a week as he would sit at the door waiting for the 'bus' to arrive and whining. He is always waiting at the door 8am Wednesdays, lead in mouth and runs to the bus as soon as the door is opened.

I can understand why many are against it, and I think it is a very very select few who cope well in that sort of environment.

P3LH

Visit site
I suppose I’m quite lucky with my career choice that I get a certain number of the school holidays off, and work from home for the remainder of them. However I think I’d still be happy to work with less time at home, as all they do is sleep after a walk when I’m home anyway. The roughs actively seem irritated for the first few days of any holiday im at home for!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Not all dogs hate it - a friends lab went to one for a while whilst my friend was unwell, she is now well and doesn't need it but still sends him once a week as he would sit at the door waiting for the 'bus' to arrive and whining. He is always waiting at the door 8am Wednesdays, lead in mouth and runs to the bus as soon as the door is opened.

I can understand why many are against it, and I think it is a very very select few who cope well in that sort of environment.

That's kind of what I mean. For me I see dogs who are far too happy to get away from the owner, playing with other dogs just becomes a bigger attraction than everything else and bleeds into other areas of life where they think every time they see another dog they get to go and rough house.

My mother worked when I was growing up and the dogs had access to a secure outdoors area during the day. If they had been stuck in the house all day and all night I'd have an issue, but all ours did fine with good walks either end of the day and lived into old age.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Erm yer man doesn't seem to know the difference between Siberia and Alaska - Huskies and Malamutes are different breeds?!
And expecting a dog to know how to dock dive with no training. Chuck a ball and hope for the best.

I know a lot of this stuff is hammed up for the camera but it's excruciating.
Currently watching a brachy pup ragging around to the point of exhaustion/hyperventilation but that's good because she's 'tired'.

Turning off now as it's making me cross.

misst

Visit site
I watched it after reading this thread last week. Horrendous!
Poor little French Bulldog pup was so out of breath and they seemed to think this was a good idea to keep it running. Large Newfoundland jumping hay bales in a "fun" sports day race in 30degrees of heat. The dock diving seemed odd to me, I wouldn't want my JRT jumping off there though the man running things said he had JRTs doing it in the past. The mud was crazy. Too many dogs running around, mixed sizes and breeds - all very odd.
The FB pup was also up on a table at one point - and nearly fell off. But why put a dog on a table? Mine are so spoilt but even I draw the line at that - why encourage it.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Dock diving is a performance sport which takes a lot of training and conditioning which was why I was a bit perplexed that he was just chucking a ball and expecting the dogs to know what to do. Especially with someone else's dogs.

A lot of the dogs were way too heavy but I know someone who runs a daycare and it's a running battle.