Good dress rehearsal always ends with a bad performance...

Terminator

Visit site
I have seen some older threads on this subject but wonder if anyone has any further enlightening advice on this issue: When out at unaffiliated local dressage comps (prelims atm), my sceptical and routine-hugging cob fairly quickly turns his nervous energy into some lovely responsive and forward going work during the warm up, as he eases into his new surroundings. However, on entering the arena (indoor or outdoor alike) he becomes tense, fresh and disconnected from me. I have tried leaving the warm up at the last possible minute and entering the arena as soon as the previous competitor goes, as well as standing outside of the arena to give him a long look but neither seemed to help particularly. I have heard that 'show schooling' sessions might help, but no idea where I would find such events. Also, I realise I am not devoid of fault - I don't feel particularly nervous before going in for a test, but once I feel him tensing I find it difficult to relax as he becomes very strong and it turns into a vicious cycle. Any training/riding/routine suggestions gratefully received.

jam14

Visit site
Can you hire the arena and see how he goes or can you go for a lesson somewhere like a pre show away from home. This helps mine and me!

Terminator

Visit site
Thank you. Yes, we have tried this on several occasions with different arenas. He is fine after five or ten minutes in a new place, but asking him to adapt immediately is another story. If only I could ride around for that long first... not sure the Judge would be overly impressed - ha!