Good h & H vibes needed and thoughts on shoulder injury

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Not an area I know much about as used to focusing lower down.

My horse has been off work recently with a mild suspensory injury, he was box rested and turned out in a very small pens and walked in hand and all seemed to be going well but then a couple of months in he seemed to be getting worse.

He's about 4/10 lame and interesting enough it's just as bad if not worse on a straight line as a circle but equally lame on hard and soft ground which was not how the original lameness presented (worse with lame leg on outside of circle).

He's been up at the RVC all yesterday and today for investigation and been puzzling everyone there. Finally they did a bone scan today and found a hot spot in his shoulder.

I didn't get to speak to the vet directly as I managed to lose my phone so wasn't contactable and was only able to pick up a message he left so haven't gone through the possibilities even if he was prepared to speculate.

The only things that occur to me are that he's either done some serious damage in his box or there was some underlying degenerative condition that worsened with lack of movement, neither of which is very positive. :(

criso

Visit site
No one had any shoulder injuries?

Guess it shows how true it is about most injuries being lower down.

Should have said, he's still there for x rays tomorrow to see what they can find.

Oberon

Visit site
No point in fretting until you've found out what's going on.

Sending vibes anyway though. Hope it's good news. xx

Tiffany

Visit site
It could be something quite simple such as he's been holding himself differently due to the suspensory injury and his shoulder muscles are sore.

Try not to worry until you know for sure.

Fingers crossed he'll come right.

criso

Visit site
Not sure if any soft tissue strain shows up on a bone scan as well as bone activity. Also there is nothing that shows as sore when stretched and prodded which you might expect with muscles.

Their first thought when he wasn't coming right was that something had been missed, maybe round the knee which would have been taken out by the same blocks that did the suspensory which was what they spent Weds looking at.

I could see that they were genuinely puzzled by him but worried just by the degree of lameness which given he's rested does not seem to be responding.

Knowing Frankie the xrays will again be inconclusive, luckily he's insured but I can see it all going on diagnostics.