good hacking near Llandilio

Hatti

New User
Visit site
Hi we are moving to Wales in the next few months and I am trying to find some good hacking in the area. We will be moving close to Capel Isaac near Llandilio , any recomendations as bridleways seem few and far between.

Archangel

Visit site
Hello :) I am just a bit over from Capel Issac. The bridleways are very few and far between I'm afraid, but the lanes are very quiet especially on Salem/Taliaris side, where there is better visibility (lanes round here are a bit heart stopping). Quite a few horses in the area though.

There is a good forestry area to the north west, not quite so far as Brechfa - very good for fittening and great views - that would be a good 1.5 - 2 hour circuit - here is a link showing the location Graig ddu

If you have a trailer then Brechfa is in easy reach to the north - you can ride for hours. Cynghordy near Llandovery is fabulous - again you can go for hours without seeing a soul and brilliant parking with a corral for the horses.

Llanllwni Mountain is a huge open area with bridleways but you have to know where you are going due to dangerous bogs.

Pembrey Country Park is a fair way away but worth the effort in getting there (I was there this morning) and the riding is fab, the beach is 8 miles long with a forest behind - sandy soil so always good going. You need a permit to ride in the Forest.

How exciting to be moving here - bring lots of waterproof clothes!

Hatti

New User
Visit site
Many thanks this is really helpful, my youngest daughter is only 8 and although the ponies are very well behaved I would prefer not to be restricted to road hacking only. There is also another Small wooded area called Blaencwn does anyone know if it is accessible on horseback or anything else good to know in the area. We are getting very excited Pembrey park sounds amazing

Hatti

New User
Visit site
Thank you again for all the helpful information. Just wondering what the fields are like around Capel Isaac, can you gain any access and ride on the boarders of farmland or are you restricted to roads only.

Archangel

Visit site
I am pretty sure it is roads only. The fields don't really have borders as such as they are no crops, only sheep, cows, more sheep and silage.

There is a Facebook group - called something like Capel Isaac and surrounds riders they might know more.

BronsonNutter

Visit site
You can also hack round Llyn Llech Owain country park and Mynydd Mawr (both Gorslas/Crosshands direction) unless something has changed since I moved away! Personally I found the hacking round there very dull (country lanes) so used to box up to Brechfa, the Gower (can go for MILES), Llanllwni mountain or Pendine beach for galloping. Pembrey is nice but the sand depth is quite variable so I'd never hit top speed on my TB there - but Pendine was fab and worth the trip.