Good hight for an eventer

Visit site
Well I'm 15 5ft9 and normai weight but have quite long legs and was thinking of a irish sports horse or similar breed want to go past novice with it and am going to get it young so can ride and bond with it for a long time

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
For your height, and to event, definately over 16h.

Do you have the experience to bring a youngster on up to novice level? Have you evented before? If not you would do better getting something experienced to help you first of all..

MagicMelon

Visit site
There's no particular height thats best for an eventer. Height-wise its really just down to what you need for your own height and what you're comfortable on. I have a 16hh lightweight who I feel slightly big on (even though I'm not particularly), but I like them at this height as I find them generally more agile and easier to ride. The bigger they get, the more difficult it is to nip through combinations and for them to chip in strides etc.

becca1305

Visit site
In the nicest possible way I agree with honey :eek:...Unless you've evented something at PN/N level before then I would look to get something experienced first. Ive been there as a teenager too (with a non-horsey family)albeit a couple of years younger than you, and thought it was a great idea to get something quite young to 'grow' with. I learnt a lot from it which I've used to progress my riding and most recently applied successfully (I hope!) to bringing on a young ISH who I had just stepped up to unaffil equiv of Novice level last year. But I would have learnt a lot more, and saved a lot of money buying a schoolmaster to start with.

I am assuming you havent competed at this level before, if you have then apologies I made my assumption based on your question. It is also just my opinion and you may be lucky and get an ISH with an old head on young shoulders who you can progress with :).

I would however definitely be looking to get something in the region of 16hh-16.3hh. I was about your height at 15 (and leggy) and Ive finished up as a good 5ft11. My mares 16hh 1/2an inch solid ISH type and Im *just* about okay on her without looking silly! :)

Visit site
I was only asking people's opinion if it would be better 4 me 2 have a 15.2 or a 16.2 because of my height I do compete mostly against 16hh+ even though I am normally one of the smallest in the warm up with my horse at the moment who is only just 15hh (who isn't mine) :)

Visit site
Sorry. Just seemed a bit strange that someone who had been there and done it all wouldn't know what heights eventers tend to be..

I was only asking people there opinion if a 15.2 or a 16.2 would be better as I am normally up against 16+hh and am normally the smallest in the warm up with the 15 hh I ride( he's not mine):)