Good joint supplements

SBJT

Visit site
Hi all,

Looking for a good joint supplement for my horse. He’s starting to hit his sr years and I’d like to preempt as many issues as possible so thinking of adding a supplement to his regime. He already gets pre/pro biotic (but I’m thinking of taking him off this), hemp oil and a general supplement. He also has full access to mineral. I’ve been reading that something with glucosamine but i was talking to other owners who said it’s not effective if it’s not given every day. Since he’s an easy keeper I’d prefer not to go that route. So I’m wondering what do other people do?

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I'm not sure if any of them actually work, speaking as I've tried pretty much everything. I think a lot of it is fillers and a con.
Only difference I saw was when my arthritic gelding was on Boswellia.

Sasana Skye

Visit site
I feed FlexAbility Professional to my 15yo. Haven't noticed any significant differences but then there was never a problem in the first place. Although, the vet did comment that she looks freer than she did before but that could be because of anything for instance she had her teeth and back done between the last visits and a new saddle fitted. But people do rave about it.

I've been using it like you do to prevent problems. I follow Dr D Marlin on social media and bought it following his advice (graph below) - I think it's his product but he is from a scientific field, published papers on the subject and talks a lot of sense so I went for it. It's expensive at £80 a pot (if you give Science Supplements a review on trust pilot - good or bad - they send you a discount code so I got my second pot for £60) and lasts a month give or take. It's also the only thing I've tried that my extremely fussy eater will agree to eat.

Joint supplements.png

Last edited:

EnduroRider

Visit site
I also feed SS Flexability Professional as I appreciate there being some science behind it. I also feel that rather than spend maybe £50 on something per month that is not providing adequate levels, I would rather pay the extra and know I am throwing everything at it! Similarly I am not feeding to treat a problem but rather as a preventative.

QueenT

Visit site
Vet recommended Flexadin - anyone has experience using that? I am using Pharma Quinn Joint Complex for 16 yo with diagnosed arthritis (contains "the big 4", MSM, HA, glucosamine and chondroitin)

Shay

Visit site
There is very little research - and what there is is somewhat equivocal. MSM and Boswellia have proven positive effects. Glucosamine (in horses and humans) has no scientifically proven impact. Any experience I could offer (and I have quite a bit and some personal opinions - yes I do feed joint supplements) will not tell you what to do with your horse.

It really is a "finger in the wind". Pick your finger and stick with it!

Hack4fun

Visit site

Sasana Skye

Visit site
I really like the graph, thank you. A great piece of work. I am looking at PREMIERflex HA. According to this link https://www.equineanswers.co.uk/premierflex-ha/p4 the initial feeding amounts for glucosamine is 13g, chrondoitin sulphate is 5g, MSM is 10g. This is quite different from the data in the graph.That would probably place it 3rd. Any views on this?

I'm getting my info from Dr David Marlin - he has a page on Facebook and has written multiple posts on joint supplements. I'm no scientist so I couldn't prove or disprove what he says but I know that there is a difference between the ingredient level that these companies advertise and the active ingredients, and the quality of those ingredients - which is what actually counts. I.e. quote: "1g of a high quality ingredient may have a greater effect than 10g of lower quality version of the the same ingredient."

EnduroRider

Visit site
The graph is titled as being 'maintenance level' so that will likely be the different to the amounts that are quoted on the link as 'initial' aka a loading dose.