Good Karma Sanctuary, Cairo

reynold

Visit site

I was aware of the tourist problems there but hadn't heard of this place before, only Brooke (and supported them).

I do like to support smaller charities and the fact that she's putting horses down who cannot/shouldn't be 'saved' is something I do believe in.

Wasn't it Santorini where the donkey rules were changed as a result of public pressure over the internet?

misst

Visit site
Oh my god I knew it was bad there but not that bad. I will donate and I agree I will be happy for my money to be used to end suffering. Those pictures have made me feel really really upset. I admire her grit for doing this. The idea that they leave a sick horse and put two tourists on one horse is just horrific. I understand they are poor but.....
My friend wants me to visit Egypt next year with her and I wasn't keen. This has decided me.

misst

Visit site
No idea :( but if you find a proper link would you post it as I will make it one of my regular ones too.

Smitty

Visit site
I saw this yesterday, haven't seen and don't want to see any pictures. I found it harrowing reading and am intending to support with a small monthly contribution, but did think I would check on here first to see if this was a known rescue/charity?

Caski

Visit site
I haven't heard of this charity, there are a couple of dodgy ones out there. I do support Egypt Equine Aid.
I was unaware but have been a regular supporter of the Brooke in Luxor will definitely do what I can for Good Karma, their ethos seems very sound

Reacher

Visit site
I supported the Brooke for a long time and then I understood a few years ago they moved out of Egypt? I then supported PFK (and stopped donating to the Brooke) based on recommendations on here.
I’ve restarted a monthly donation to the Brooke.

Birker2020

Visit site

I was aware of the tourist problems there but hadn't heard of this place before, only Brooke (and supported them).

I do like to support smaller charities and the fact that she's putting horses down who cannot/shouldn't be 'saved' is something I do believe in.

Wasn't it Santorini where the donkey rules were changed as a result of public pressure over the internet?
I was aware that they don't put animals to sleep in that country due to religious reasons as its considered a sin to help an animal die.
That's why you see horses with prosthetic legs.

Ratface

Visit site
I supported PFK for several years, and had direct conversations with the person based in England who set it up. She visits regularly and has undoubtedly saved the lives of many horses, dogs and donkeys. I would recommend them as an authentic charitable enterprise.