Good 'light' or food for losing weight.

Taffyhorse

Visit site
Our collie has porked out a bit and needs to lose some weight. He's currently fed on Arden Grange Chicken and Rice with half a pouch of JWB wet food as a topper - can't really cut down the amount as he's pretty much on the bare minimum so would like to change dry food.

I know AG do a light food - any recommendations for any other good quality light foods?

Thanks in advance.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
If a dog is healthy and needs to lose weight I would also up the exercise regime as well as reducing the feed. What does your dog weigh ?

You are already feeding a complete feed and so do not need toppers unless its something like tinned sardine,mackrell etc.

Taffyhorse

Visit site
S4sugar - off the top of my head I can't remember but its considerably less than the daily recommended allowance. I can weigh it later when I feed him.

CC - probably not but we are talking about less than a tablespoon here and he gets a bit fussy without the topper. He get tinned sardines in oil once a week and then he doesn't get the topper.

Dobiegirl - absolutely but unfortunately this is a difficult option for several reasons. His current regime is out with me for approx 20 mins before work with his tennis balls and throwing stick, dog walker comes at lunchtime and walks him for 45 mins, the OH walks him again for approx 20-30 mins. At the weekend, OH takes him for a longer walk in the daytime approx 60-90 mins and then again in the afternoon for another 20-30 mins.

I would normally walk him for 40 mins in the morning but I am 7 months preggers with pretty nasty pelvic girdle problems - this renders shuffling more than 200 yards a near impossibility hence taking him out with his balls and throwy. However, he also has mild hip dysplacia so don't want to overdo the ball throwing - I alternate throwing with hiding his balls in the undergrowth so he has to go and find them which he loves.

Vet has recommended putting him onto a light food - he was on AG light before and did really well on it but stupidly I changed him back to the normal brand. Vet recommends Chappie or Burns neither of which I'm mad keen on hence I'm asking here for opinions on other light food.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Chappie is not the worst in the world, believe it or not! Sardines are great for conditioning...so they will put weight on.

I wouldn't actually up that walking regime if he has mild HD. As you say, too much going A-over-T (if he is anything like mine!!) for his ball, skidding, splatting etc, wouldn't be good.

s4sugar

Visit site
Arden grange is high protein & high fat -
Analytical Constituents: Crude Protein 25%, Fat Content 15%, Crude Ash 7%, Crude Fibres 2.5%, Calcium 1.1%, Phosphorous 0.75%, Omega-3 0.99%, Omega-6 2.72%.

Composition: Chicken meat meal (27%), rice (26%), maize, chicken oil, beet pulp, fresh chicken (5%), chicken digest, yeast, whole dried egg, linseed, fish meal, fish oil, prebiotic FOS, prebiotic MOS, cranberries, yucca extract, glucosamine, MSM, chondroitin, nucleotides.
I would switch to an equal volume of Skinners duck & rice. Easier on your pocket and better recipe.

tamsinkb

Visit site
I know you say you want a dry food, but I have my spaniel (who has hip dysplasia and shoulder problems) on Nature diet trays (Senior / lite) I give him half a tray a day ( less than recommended amount for his size) but he does get treats. He has lost 4.5 kg in 7 months despite being on reduced exercise for the bulk of that time. He is now around his ideal weight and looks fab - he is currently sitting smugly at my feet having devoured a marrow bone.

Tamsin

Jools1234

Visit site
did your vet reccommend chappie dry? i have spoken to the vets at work about it after a heads up on here and its not nice stuff, the wet though is great.

if he was ok on the one you had him on before i would just change him back to that, you know it works for him and you will be busy enough soon that you wont want to be worrying about the dogs diner:)

Taffyhorse

Visit site
Thanks all -think i might just switch back to the Arden Grange Lite, he did well on that before but i thought it would be good to hear about other options.

Clodagh

Visit site
Our lab who would explode if given anywhere near recommened amounts just has a mug full of dry food (Harringtons or Skinners) once a day, about the same as our border terrier. I have never worried about what it says on the packet.

callmelucky

Visit site
Is he fed any treats? alot of people dont realise that even a couple of treats could be the equivalent of a hamburger for us. If he is fed treats id say instead of giving them, u take some biscuits out of his daily allowance of food and use them.

Taffyhorse

Visit site
Well he has a mini bonio type biscuit treat when I leave for work and the dogwalker gives him one of those or a mini marrowbone biscuit treat after she has walked him but that's it.

I don't think cutting these out will do much on their own although I'm happy to cut them out. He's not very food oriented so I never really use treats for training or at other times simply because he's not normally interested - even so called 'high value' treats like cheese, chicken or ham elicit no interest if his attention is focused elsewhere, his ball on the other hand...

Clodagh - I'm already feeding a pretty small amount, if I feed any less he will just be hungry so I'd rather swap to a lite food and be able to feed a slightly bigger portion.

I have ordered some AG lite so we'll see how we go with that.

s4sugar

Visit site
I can never understand why people pay more for a food because it doesn't have wheat or additives and then give treats with those ingredients.
I use JWB cat complete as treats -tiny well flavoured morsels rather than large chunks.