"GOOD NUTRITIOUS FOOD"

poiuytrewq

Visit site
The other thing suggested by a few people who have looked at the terrible state of my horses feet is "GOOD NUTRITIOUS FOOD" , one said oats and barley.... He is a "can be difficult" TB and i am very reluctant to feed either to him.
Condition wise he is ok His ribs dont show and he looks pretty good, although is loosing a bit of muscle due to box rest.

I thought maybe a conditioning mix or nuts but will this cause fizziness? Can anyone recommend something which will not make him boil over but give him a bit of extra goodness which will help with hoof growth please?

scotsmare

www.creativewritingforaliving.co.uk
Stick to something that is completely balanced - if your boy is on box rest then chaff with a balancer plus lots of hay will be sufficient. I'd recommend that you still added a foot supplement to it. Unfortunately putting feet right is not a cheap or fast thing to do but you will get there.

Ziggy_

Visit site
I think alfalfa is supposed to be good for hoof growth, so you could try Alfa-A Oil?

That said, I don't know much and I'm just hanging around hoping for replies to my thread!!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
At risk of sounding really stupid (spot the horse owner who only ever had good doer welsh x types!!)
What actually is a feed balancer? I mean is it a vitamin type thing that you give a small scoop of or is it more a "feed" in its own right?

toomanyhorses26

Visit site
could try winergy the low energy one as you can feed a fair amount of this which is perfect in box rest situations and in my expierience is less likely to heat up horses than some other mixes/cubes etc

Kallibear

Visit site
There are loads of hoof supplement out there, some rubbish and some great. The great ones are generally expensive
blush.gif

I'd go for either Farriers formula or formula4feet. Both are balancers (harlequin35 - they're small-pelleted, highly vit and mineral concentrated feeds that you add to their diet to make sure they're getting everything they need, esp if feeding straights) with little starch or cereals so sjhouldn't make him fizzy. They really dow work (and so they should at that price!)

Other think that would be worth doing if he has crumbling feet is treating him for white line disease (similar to thrush but of the white line).

niagaraduval

Visit site
I would go for Biotin. Farriers formula works a treat. I have hear karatex hoof hardener works wonders too.
Good Luck, I had to battle with crap hooves for over a year, I know what it's like!