Good quality leather headcollar?

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I use a leather headcollar for turn out with a grazing muzzle attached. The cheap one off Ebay has stretched so that the nose is pulled down - it looks a bit like a drop noseband now! I paid about £10 for it and is worn about 12 hours a day, so can't really complain!

Can anyone recommend a good quality cob size headcollar that will hold it's shape better? Happy to pay a fair bit more than £10 ?

Skib

sites.google.com
I bought a Shires leather head collar for my share mare - in total ignorance. But she needed leather. I was used to webbing head collars, or rope and thought the leather very heavy for a horse to have to wear on its head but I am told it is fine.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I bought a bridleway one about 18mo ago, and was very impressed at quality vs price (it was about £25-30 I think).

Granted it wasn’t worn all day, but has been hung up by the field in all weathers for 18mo and still looks perfect bar a few scratches if you clean the mud off!

SpotsandBays

Visit site
I bought a bridleway one about 18mo ago, and was very impressed at quality vs price (it was about £25-30 I think).

Granted it wasn’t worn all day, but has been hung up by the field in all weathers for 18mo and still looks perfect bar a few scratches if you clean the mud off!
I have one of these too and it’s lovely. But I also don’t turn out in mine!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Thank you all!

Lots of suggestions to look into! I'm not worried about it being too nice to use just for turn out - I know it'll get trashed but I'd rather he was really comfortable for the hours he's wearing it.

Looks like I have some shopping shopping to do :)

ihatework

Visit site
For turnout I’d definitely use a cheaper imported headcollar. They will age quicker and not as well made, which is what I would want for turnout - they need to break quite readily under strain.