GOOD Riding schools/instructors in the Bristol/Bath area...

Beanyowner

Visit site
I am wondering if anyone knows of some good riding schools or instructors who can provide good horses for lessons with them in the Bristol/Bath and surrounding areas?!?

I know there is obviously Summerhouse in Gloucester but just wondering if there is anything closer to home.

Am looking for a BHS I or BHS II qualified instructor or equivalent.

Thankies!
grin.gif

teapot

Visit site
Probs not any closer distance wise, more likely further but the two best ones down there would be Talland or Huntley

SW3

Visit site
Talland would def be up there. (She said not having been there yet!) On paper it looks amazing - if a little daunting (and certainly not the cheapest - but there again, if you get what you pay for it is probably money well spent?!)

Depends where you are based really and where you want to travel to. I work in Bristol city centre (having moved to Bristol from London recently) and have been looking for places since I moved across, either in North Somerset or South Gloucs. I've been having a few lessons from Eve Pool (BHSI) at Urchinwood (North Somerset) - using the school horses (well one in particular who used to compete at advanced medium BD. The place is very much a riding school in the traditional sense of the word (i.e. lots of kids, beginners etc) but I think Eve is very good. She trained with Baron Blixen amongst others.

Not wishing to hijack your post OP, but I would be really interested in your and everyone elses views in response to this one.

Also, I have a 2 yr old TB (currently at home with my parents up north) who I would like to bring down for breaking etc in a year or so. This is with the - possibly vain - hope that he will pick up the mantel of my beloved eventer (now 20 and still doing the odd BE90 & BE100 Open on a low key no rush basis!) and be my competition horse for years to come. Of course, I work full time so will need to send him to a pro in the Bristol area for backing and bringing on. I would be eternally grateful for any names / recommendations that you fine Sth Westerly folk may have?

Beanyowner

Visit site
Hi SW3...I will keep you informed on any details I find on my search...the best places at the moment seem to be Summerhouse or Talland...I agree on teh daunting Talland front but like you said...you get what you pay for!

Not sure about breaking...am thinking maybe Claire Lilley? Never used her but seen her adverts floating about. So definitely worth a google! Will keep an ear out for anymore for you too!

Beanyowner

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
There is nowhere. Plenty of good instructors, but no Riding Schools left.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks DD...I thought as much
frown.gif
Just asking on the off chance someone new had set up which I hadn't heard about yet! lol Will call Summerhouse and Talland.

SW3

Visit site
Thanks to Beanyowner, trendybraincell and spacefaer for the top pro-finding tips!! Peternells look top notch and I will google Claire Lilley and Tanya Neville this eve. I'm a bit neurotic about finding the right place for my boy - both for backing and then livery thereafter.
crazy.gif
Realise how lucky I've been up to now as I havent had to go into the whole 'finding the right yard' shenanigans before! Thanks again ...

monkeybum13

Visit site
SW3- petternells are good for backing but a friend was a livery at their and didn't enjoy her time there - all the facilities but just not friendly, she asked alice for some advice and when she got her weekly bill they had added on "£5 - advice"

trendybraincell

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
SW3- petternells are good for backing but a friend was a livery at their and didn't enjoy her time there - all the facilities but just not friendly, she asked alice for some advice and when she got her weekly bill they had added on "£5 - advice"

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow thats mad...I have just moved from there and NEVER encountered any problems like that, but I will say it is run very much like a business (obviously thats what it is) but you know what I mean
grin.gif

charliebo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif
Very cheeky!

siennamum

Visit site
There are quite a few really decent dressage trainers round Bristol, Terri Ikonen (sp) is highly recommended by a friend who has had lessons with her for a few years and now keeps her horse there. Maggie Doel is a fantastic trainer & may well do breaking & schooling.

I agree with DD though, there virtually are no riding schools left near Bristol, the only remaining ones which I know of iare Cog Mill and Oaktree - althought I believe South West Equestrian has set up as a riding school.

If I were going to have lessons myself, I would go to Huntley, might go back to Talland. Wouldn't go near Summerhouse.

SW3

Visit site
Spacefaer - I'm being a total techno muppet.
crazy.gif
I've tried to PM you twice to get Tanya's details (and find out what you know about her!) but on both occasions my little missive has disappeared into the ether without trace. (Which is pretty embarrassing when you consider I have a job which involves using computers all day!) Just wanted to let you know that I'm not intentionally being a rude b*tch. I am grateful for the advice and keen to find out more, just a bit hamstrung by my incompetence!!
wink.gif

Monkeybum (love the name!) - a £5 line item on your bill 'for advice' is taking the p*ss a bit I reckon. Surely that's part of the customer care side of being a YO, or at least, that's what I would have thought? (old fashioned fool that I am !!)

Siennamum - thanks for the extra tips.... off to google Maggie Doel...

monkeybum13

Visit site
cog mill is no longer a riding school
and DO NOT GOT TO SOUTH WEST EC
please please please!!!

another vote for Therri Ikonen at lime tree - she is great for all levels, not sure if she has schoolmasters to ride

Beanyowner

Visit site
Oh don't worry...won't be touching SW Equestrian with a barge pole! I live not too far from there so have heard all the horror stories!

Will enquire with Therri Ikonen...thanks!

SW3

Visit site
Let us know how you go Beanyowner - keen to find out if you find someone wonderful !

Also useful to know that SWEqu is a horror story zone....

05parkerr

Visit site
this is where I get...what were you thinking!??

I use to work at South West Equestrian....cue the WTH!!!!!!!!!

tis a nice yard par the owners.

little_critter

Visit site
I've been to Claire Lilley twice now (3rd lesson tomorrow woohoo!) and can really recommend her. A really nice lady, nice horses and a brilliant way of explaining things.
Also went to Dovecote a few times - yes it's in Somerset but totally the other end of the county so would take over an hour (maybe more) to get there. Sam is nice and so are the horses but I stopped going because it took so long to get there.

juliap

Visit site
Nicki Stevens at Burcott Riding School (nr Wells) is fabulous both as an instructor and for breaking / rebreaking. She is great at explaining things & does a great job with youngsters.

School horses are all well schooled and if you ask them properly they respond.

PM for Nicki's no - not always the best at getting back to messages left on the answer phone!