Good show jumping coaches/any advice?

J_sarahd

Visit site
If you’ve not seen it in the weekend plans threads over the last few weeks, I’m having a few issues with pony. 9/10 he is jumping great and isn’t really bothered about fillers or cross country jumps anymore.

But I’ve fallen off 3 times in the last 4 weeks because he’s just slammed the brakes on. It seems to be at jumps that are off the corner or on a dog-leg.

Basically, any advice??? Or any good show jumping coaches in the Midlands who may be able to help with 2/3 lessons? We do have a regular coach.

I think it is a schooling/rider problem rather than pain as he’s jumping other jumps on more straightforward lines well.

My Boys M&D

Visit site
Whereabouts in the Midlands are you? How come your regular coach can't help?

Chloe Smith (daughter of Robert Smith) is a resident trainer at the National RDA centre near Warwick, she's excellent.

If you're sure it's not a physical problem, is he having a chance to see the fences off a corner/turn or does he carry his head too high/low?

J_sarahd

Visit site
Leicestershire/Nottinghamshire area. Don’t get me wrong, she can help me and I will continue to have lessons with her. I just like having a different point of view every now and then. This seems as good a time as any to get a different eye on whats happening and I am prepared to spend a bit more on a very experienced eye.

Thank you!!

I thought that was the case at Vale View a few weeks ago, but I’ve just watched the video from this week and it doesn’t seem to be the case.

I’m not ruling out pain, but I am a bit confused why it’s always the ones off the corner, on a dog-leg etc that he says no to.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Without seeing a video it is really hard to comment - but 2 questions I'd ask myself are

1/ is my speed of approach right? if the incidents are happening on a dog leg or off a corner, are you going too quickly to give him time to process the question? Remember, anything below 90cm can be popped from trot most of the time. It sounds like you may be coming in too quick, because that speed of approach is what results in such a sudden stop you get forced through the front door.

2/ is your balance on approach right? if you are getting in front of the movement you're in a precarious place, potentially putting him off balance and causing the stop - and causing you to fall off. Is your lower leg forward and secure? If you know they're likely to put in a stop you should be riding in safety seat, staying slightly behind the movement and allowing your reins to slip over the fence a little if you are at risk of catching them in the mouth.

If you can confidently say that you're coming it at the right speed and in the right rider balance, then the physical checks approach makes sense to follow.

J_sarahd

Visit site
Not sure how to upload videos onto here!! I have the fall from Saturday on video and the fall at Vale for more experienced HHOers to look at?

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I find if coming off a tight turn it will be due to hind limb lameness if they are happy jumping off a straight line and the jumps are normally well within their comfort zone. Especially if this issue has grown exponentially within a time frame. Tbh it’s what started the warning bells on my eventer - tight turns off right rein. It was the RH which was the problem hind leg.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
A majority of the time when I see a refusal out of a corner or on a dog leg is because the rider didn't set the horse up for success. Either too fast, cut the corner too sharp, or let the horse sort of barrel around on the forehand, the rider got ahead of the motion, and the horse can't take a proper jump that way. Or due to the poor set up by the rider the horse didn't get enough time to see the fence and it was "boom! Jump!" And most horses will then refuse.

I'd be setting up poles off of corners and dog legs, and focusing on cantering over them. Getting a good approach, keeping a good pace, and then slowly raise the pole over time. I find doing a course of poles might help you analyze things between fences. The stress of the jump is out of the equation, and you can bite it over a pole and come out ok, usually. A 90cm + fence, not so much.

When you can see your distances, get good approaches to the pole, and count your strides evenly so you aren't changing pace or having any hectic adjustments, then slowly advance the exercise.

I don't know if this will work for you, just a suggestion.

J_sarahd

Visit site
A majority of the time when I see a refusal out of a corner or on a dog leg is because the rider didn't set the horse up for success. Either too fast, cut the corner too sharp, or let the horse sort of barrel around on the forehand, the rider got ahead of the motion, and the horse can't take a proper jump that way. Or due to the poor set up by the rider the horse didn't get enough time to see the fence and it was "boom! Jump!" And most horses will then refuse.

I'd be setting up poles off of corners and dog legs, and focusing on cantering over them. Getting a good approach, keeping a good pace, and then slowly raise the pole over time. I find doing a course of poles might help you analyze things between fences. The stress of the jump is out of the equation, and you can bite it over a pole and come out ok, usually. A 90cm + fence, not so much.

When you can see your distances, get good approaches to the pole, and count your strides evenly so you aren't changing pace or having any hectic adjustments, then slowly advance the exercise.

I don't know if this will work for you, just a suggestion.

This is very helpful! Thank you

Bellaboo18

Visit site
It's a bit hard to see in the videos but are you sure you were on a good stride? Both look like a bit of a miss, he goes to chip in an extra stride and then is in too deep to take off (?) It's tricky to see from the angle though.

IrishMilo

Visit site
The first one you came in too lacklustre and were expecting him to jump without any input from you. If you know he's got a habit of stopping you need to get the canter going and him know you mean business before you present him. The second one was 100% you, no offense ?You were coming on a dodgy stride, I could see from about four strides out you either needed to commit to a long one or hold him firm with leg on so he had room for an extra stride. I think he's a genuine pony and you'll be fine. You just need to be more firm. Had you have stayed on (moot point, dur), if it were me I'd have given him a wallop behind the saddle and presented again.

Chippers1

Visit site
I was going to say, similar to the above, these look like the stops I get with Buzz when I just stop riding and hope that he'll just go over it :D
Exactly as IrishMilo says, I have to be firm in what I want him to do and ride like that every time otherwise we just grind to a halt like that!

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Are your usual lessons at home or do you take him 'out' for lessons?
If you're happy with him physically (and it's worth getting him checked out regardless - if you're worried there's something physically wrong then you'll not push him, then he will stop!) then I'd definitely take him 'out' for lessons. Not sure exactly where you are but Selina Finneran at Milton EC (near Worksop, North Notts, easy off the A1) may be worth a try? I used to have lessons with her years ago with my SJ pony and her indoor arena is quite tight so you can do lots of practicing courses and jumping dogs legs, off corners etc. http://www.miltonec.co.uk/services2.htm

J_sarahd

Visit site
To be honest Irishmilo and Chippers, thats exactly what I wanted to read!! In the second one I was fighting him round that corner to get his head up/stop leaning, so probably stopped riding forward into the fence. I’d rather you said that then “he’s broken!”

J_sarahd

Visit site
Are your usual lessons at home or do you take him 'out' for lessons?
If you're happy with him physically (and it's worth getting him checked out regardless - if you're worried there's something physically wrong then you'll not push him, then he will stop!) then I'd definitely take him 'out' for lessons. Not sure exactly where you are but Selina Finneran at Milton EC (near Worksop, North Notts, easy off the A1) may be worth a try? I used to have lessons with her years ago with my SJ pony and her indoor arena is quite tight so you can do lots of practicing courses and jumping dogs legs, off corners etc. http://www.miltonec.co.uk/services2.htm

I tend not to jump at home but I am arranging a lesson with current coach at home to work on turns. I am happy to travel so thank uou for the recommendation!

IrishMilo

Visit site
To be honest Irishmilo and Chippers, thats exactly what I wanted to read!! In the second one I was fighting him round that corner to get his head up/stop leaning, so probably stopped riding forward into the fence. I’d rather you said that then “he’s broken!”

No, I think just clever!

Chippers1

Visit site
I also used to have a problem with refusals at jumps after coming round a corner, it was because I would come in at a terrible angle and stride normally! This was down to nerves too so i've had to work on it quite a bit, starting smaller. As it so happens i'm having issues with Buzz at the moment which I think may be down to ulcers, just getting him looked at soon as the refusals are more than normal!

J_sarahd

Visit site
Feeling much, much better now after most of you have said it’s my riding and I’m going to hold off competing until February earliest and just train over the rest of the winter

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Not an expert in any way. However to me it looks as if you could also possibly be anticipating the take off and are inadvertently tipping forward on what you consider the take off stride to be.