good to see a prosecution on ear cropping

bonny

Visit site

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Ive seen a few dogs with cropped ears recently. I assumed they had been imported. Im not so sure now.

I think thats what they'd like you to believe but its often untrue. There were Cane Corso pups advertised several years ago on FB that I reported, the pups were only 8 weeks old, both parents shown in photos in Leicester. I dread to think who is doing them, the ones I saw were all ragged and swollen.

Clodagh

Visit site
I cannot imagine cutting a pups ears off. So hideous.
I hate the dubbing of cock birds though, and that is thoroughly acceptable behaviour to most people.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
yes definitely legal,
I blame Rara for my chicken showing knowledge :p, I know it's only done for some breeds but please don't ask me which!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
It is gross I think. I don't get how anyone can scissors to an animal!

when you think how many birds some of these breeders hatch then cull and the conditions some are kept in then its not so surprising. i mean even beak trimming will be phased out in commercial layers soon and people will still think that laying hens are kept in inhumane conditions.

Clodagh

Visit site
Modern game, Oxford game (I think and not Carlisle?). OEG. Lots of them.
Sadly I think they do look better dubbed, it is just the process!

Goldenstar

Visit site
When I lived in Turkey they got a Karabash puppy to guard the apartment block .
They where clueless and I had to help him out despite I resolutely had ignored all the dogs you saw everywhere , I got back from the yard one day and he did not come and put his paws up on the fence when I parked the car he was curled up tight in a corner they had cut half his ears off with scissors .
I tried to make Mrgs let me buy him when we left but he was already having to repatriate a kitten that found it way into the apartment ( whoops ) .
So buying a dog at would have been a wildly inflated price and then quarantine it was not going to happen .
I worried about him for years .

Karran

Visit site
It's starting to be the done thing where I am.
Theres some tri-coloured blue bulldog type yearling called "killer" (if only i was joking...) who has had his ears chopped, that I was befriending recently in the park.
I've seen it with a few other dogs, since spotting him, all the same bull breed type and similar owners (surprise) so theres obviously someone going around, and this is the latest trend for the local idiots!
Poor little things.

DressageCob

Visit site
I've seen loads of dogs with cropped ears on Facebook. And a company which imports them. I hate it. I can't believe there is still a market for these dogs. What's wrong with their natural ears?

eatmyshorts

Visit site
Was glad to see the prosecution too ... just a pity they have now moved to England, but hopefully will be monitored. Always report if you have suspicions of illegal cropping (it is legal to import cropped dogs, but I'm sure you have to be able to produce a license) ... sometimes litters are advertised for sale of freshly (& badly) cropped pups ... obviously the guilty parties lack brains as well as compassion. No address is required to investigate these sort of allegations ... it’s amazing what the authorities can find out.

GSD Woman

Visit site
It is legal her in the USA. I am not a fan but at least here it can be done under anesthesia and the dogs get follow up care and pain medications. That poor Bully pup. I hate the look of the battle crops. Yuck. My own belief is that if someone wants a dog with prick ears and/or no tail then they should find a breed that has that naturally.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
I offended the owner of a crop eared dog when I told him it made it look like a kitten. He tried to argue tough but I showed him some internet piccies of kittens and the look was the same. He was mortified.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Pressed send too early!!

Didn't realise I could report as I only know dogs name and nothing about owner

I expect that it would be less about reporting them specifically than giving them the heads up its happening in the area. Puppies are generally advertised quite openly but I doubt they have the resources to endlessly look at ads on the off chance.

eatmyshorts

Visit site
Not so, MOC, I’m glad to say ... at least in Scotland ... the Scottish SPCA have a Special Investigation Unit, & reports of individual ads will be investigated. Because sometimes adverts get removed if they get bad attention, it’s useful to take a screenshot, contact name, & phone number.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Not so, MOC, I’m glad to say ... at least in Scotland ... the Scottish SPCA have a Special Investigation Unit, & reports of individual ads will be investigated. Because sometimes adverts get removed if they get bad attention, it’s useful to take a screenshot, contact name, & phone number.

thats good to know, I had to report to the RSPCA (from Scotland) and sent screenshots etc. I just thought that maybe Karran also wouldn't want to start asking names/details etc if its someone they bump into a lot.