Goodbye Kempton Park

sasquatch

Visit site
This makes David Attenborough's message in Planet Earth about needing to protect our environment around us seem even more poignant, it's not just losing a racecourse, but all the fields and greenbelt land that's now being built on.

I'm in agreement with the poster who said about redeveloping unused factories and old buildings. There are so many wasted spaces in cities filled with empty, unused buildings or half-finished abandoned projects that could be made into housing, but I can imagine the cost is either too much for housing developers, or it's just cheaper to build on fields than redevelop already existing structures.

Caracarrie

Visit site
This makes David Attenborough's message in Planet Earth about needing to protect our environment around us seem even more poignant, it's not just losing a racecourse, but all the fields and greenbelt land that's now being built on.

I'm in agreement with the poster who said about redeveloping unused factories and old buildings. There are so many wasted spaces in cities filled with empty, unused buildings or half-finished abandoned projects that could be made into housing, but I can imagine the cost is either too much for housing developers, or it's just cheaper to build on fields than redevelop already existing structures.

The trouble is with brown-field sites, many are horribly contaminated. It costs a fortune to remediate and some cannot be done at all. There are plenty of stories of people finding their houses are a health hazard. I grew up in Cornwall and there is a serious problem with arsenic contamination. Further up around the China clay area there is alot of natural uranium ore - most of Cornwall is radioactive actually and radon gas is a problem in modern draught-free houses. Our old cottage vented itself quite naturally!. A friend of mine's uncle put a lump of ore in a wine bottle and kept it by the fire. Some years later a visitor commented on the beautiful shade of green that the bottle was - and was stunned to hear that it was a colourless, clear bottle at the start!

The other major problem is that so many developments, especially those in the rural and greenbelt locations are huge 5 bedroom detatched places which isn't going to solve any housing problem but makes maximum profit for the developers. This is why it should be housing associations and councils that should be doing the building and the business of buying your council house should be stopped immediately. I don't blame people for taking up the offer, especially those in the older 1930s properties that were superbly built and had good sized gardens, but the whole point of council houses was that they were for people who couldn't afford to buy or rent privately. I rented privately for 20 years and didn't expect my landlord to say I could buy it with a 75% discount because I'd paid all that rent. Council tenants have already benefited massively from reduced rents and new kitchens/bathrooms on a regular cycle, something private tenants or many houseowners could only dream of.

silu

Visit site
Getting old isn't all bad...nearly! I was at Kempton on that fateful day when Arkle broke his Pedal bone. I will never forget seeing him in the flesh. Head held high and a look of total superiority over his opponents. It will be a sad day indeed if Kempton is lost forever.