Goring Heath PN/N

tigers_eye

Visit site
Hi folks!

Back from holiday and thinking about what to do next with William. Missed entries for Highclere, so looking at calendar Goring looks good timing and location for me. Never been, and reading programme it says they will only run the PN if space. Was going to do Highclere PN then go Novice at Charlton Park, but if anyone on here can comment on suitability of GH as a first time Novice that would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

ihatework

Visit site
GH is nice, quite a bold course, and the hills make it a bit more tricky.
The novice track is a downgraded intermediate track.

I wouldn't have said it was an ideal first novice but most horses tend to jump well there.

Have you considered Berkshire College mid-September, now that is a definite first Novice

tigers_eye

Visit site
Would like to get out before then really, saw a PC competition there a couple of weeks ago and worked out what the N course would be mostly. It is a possibility I suppose. What's the water like at GH, and what would you say was tricky about it - do you mean things like come round a corner and be faced with a fence? He's really given me no reason at all to think that anything he'll be faced with at Novice will be a problem, except perhaps if there's a ruddy great ex-intermediate trakhener! Also what's the surface like for the sj? Thanks very much
cool.gif

BBs

Visit site
Sillymare did her first Novice there in the spring, the SJing is up to height and the xc is big and bold but really William will find it absolutely fine!

The water is about fence 5 wtih a log in step up and arrow head out - you are constantly going up and down at the start of the xc and then it levels out towards the end.

A good warm up for Charlton Park Novice which I forsure wouldnt want to run there first time novice
crazy.gif

BCA is a good first timers novice, and i was sure they still had spaces at Highclere - but could be just intermediate? however, give Holly a call and ask her to put you on a waitlist?

Nice to have you back - Im off on Tuesday for my holiday
smile.gif

SillyMare

Visit site
India did Goring as her first (and only) Novice this spring (before she did a leg, not because it put us off Novice for ever).

Big SJ track made worse by terrible wet ground (I was in a right state because it was our first time at that height).

Didn't think the XC was particularly tricky - just well up to height (massive table near the end). There are a couple of off-set combinations near the end that cause a few problems. Water was a step in and then 2 steps out with a jump on top - need to get out with a bit of impulsion.

ihatework

Visit site
Nothing overly tricky, just quite bold and hilly in places.
For me (but then I'm a complete wuss) would be fences 5-8 ish. You come off a fairly decent drop and then come to the water complex ( log-step-water-step-fence) followed by one of those narrow square box things that seem to be popular followed by trakkhener.

SJ is normally biggish.

Ground has the potential to be hard.

ETS: I don't actually event myself, but have seen a number of courses and GH used to be my local event.

tigers_eye

Visit site
Right, shall go there - will just hang on to his head and kick! Might also have to work on that waist-line of his (and mine - soooo much nice food whilst away
blush.gif
).

Highclere closed PN entries a while back but have spaces in all other classes
frown.gif
. However it's the yard's summer show which raises funds for things like new electric fencing and sj poles and I am designated course designer
wink.gif
so perhaps not a bad thing!

Thanks all for v useful contributions - now who's coming to laugh at us?! BTW BBs - this is only my second ever N, and the only other one I did was HC!!!

Am sure will spk to you before you go but just in case you'd forgotton I'm REALLY jealous! *wants little green icon*

Thanks again B&J & SM!

vic07

Visit site
my overriding memory is so many drops but it is all quite straighforward - did my first intermediate there in 2000 - i think! the course isn't much different now. Horses do need to be fit due to the many hills.

what about south of england? - which is generally a first time novice!

Good luck!

tigers_eye

Visit site
Have entered now! Think we'll be fine, just need to hope for lots more rain now....

The plan is GH, then Charlton Park, then Tweseldown, then Little Downham, then with any luck he'll be qualified for Barocca *s if I think he's up to it next year
wink.gif
Hey, I need something to aim for, I've done a grand total of 3 PNs this year
blush.gif
frown.gif

Right, off to a wedding now...... (not mine
tongue.gif
)

seabiscuit

Visit site
I absolutely love Goring it is one of my favourite courses-you just have to keep pointing and kicking. Its big bold and galloping which is my favourite and IMO the very best kind of course for a young horse. The Novice is run over the very old intermediate course, so it does look big, but because the course is flowing the size of the jumps it doesnt matter. It sounds like just the sort of course for William.Maybe practise cantering down some very steep hills, cos you have to go over a big fence with a drop,fly down the hill and then make a sharp left hand turn for the water! The SJ will be well up to height too but straightforward I think.

Bossanova

Visit site
I love Goring and Highclere will set you up nicely for it. It's not overly big but slightly technical in places. Rides beautifully though and you can really get your teeth into it.