Got a shock when I took her rug off..

LeneHorse

Visit site
She is massive! We are talking sumo wrestler! How can a horse pile on weight in a week? She's been going out every day in the snow from 7 until 3, then in at night with hay, so she's actually getting less than usual as there is no grass! She gets a handful of chaff with her supplements for dinner, and more chaff and a handful of hi fibre cubes for breakfast as I don't want to turn out on an empty tummy in this weather and don't have time in the morning to wait for her to eat a haynet.(we are not allowed to put hay out in the field for them). The only difference is I have not ridden all week due to the snow (not that she gets ridden hard anyway - just a couple of schooling sessions in the indoor during the week and hacked at weekends, which I'd class as light work and not enough to make a difference to her weight). I was going to ride in the school tomorrow but madam has come in minus a front shoe!
I don't want to leave her rug off either as its to be minus 5 tonight.
Any suggestions?

Izzwizz

Visit site
Same with my mare, not so bad with my gelding. Think its just down to pure lack of work and going up and down the hills. I call it a hay belly. Shes not having large amounts, just a small net and Dengie Good Doer for breakfast, out from about 10.30 - 2 with no hay in field for same reason as you. Small net to come into then larger net for bed. Im sure the extra kgs will go as and when this awful white stuff goes away and we can out and about again. I wouldnt worry too much.

LeneHorse

Visit site
Could it be fluff? Has her coat got thicker?

Sadly it's not fluff, it's most definitely blubber. I'm going to put the weigh tape on her tomorrow and check the reading. She had been losing weight the last few times I weighed her (she had put on a bit in the spring when I couldn't ride and its been a battle all summer to get it off) so I'm disappointed she's putting it on again. Usually she loses a bit in the winter and I really don't want her coming out of the winter overweight as that's just asking for trouble. I'd rather get on top of it now. The joy of having a good do-er!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Is she coming in at night? Unless she is clipped she does not need to wear a rug inside, let her use some calories keeping warm.
Even if she is living out, if she has a good thick coat, she could probably manage without a rug, although now that she has got used to it, this might not be a good time to take the rug off.
Sorry just re-read OP, again she can manage without a rug outside during the day if she's not clipped.

Last edited:

Holly Hocks

Visit site
She is massive! We are talking sumo wrestler! How can a horse pile on weight in a week? She's been going out every day in the snow from 7 until 3, then in at night with hay, so she's actually getting less than usual as there is no grass! She gets a handful of chaff with her supplements for dinner, and more chaff and a handful of hi fibre cubes for breakfast as I don't want to turn out on an empty tummy in this weather and don't have time in the morning to wait for her to eat a haynet.(we are not allowed to put hay out in the field for them). The only difference is I have not ridden all week due to the snow (not that she gets ridden hard anyway - just a couple of schooling sessions in the indoor during the week and hacked at weekends, which I'd class as light work and not enough to make a difference to her weight). I was going to ride in the school tomorrow but madam has come in minus a front shoe!
Any suggestions?

Mine is exactly the same! We've been leaving heavyweight turnouts on 24/7 for the last week while there's been snow, so whowever turns in/out has an easier job. Mine has been having a scoop of chaff (admittedly a large scoop) and speedibeet in the morning (took 16+ mix out as not doing any work in this weather) and again at night. He's been out in the field where we're also not allowed to put hay and having a haynet at night. I took the rug off tonight to add a fleece underneath and he is HUGE!! He is a 20 year old TB. I thought they were supposed to lose weight in winter, especially when they get that bit older, but not mine! He is like a belly on sticks!

classicalfan

Visit site
If she's as round as a barrel don't assume it's blubber. Many of our horses appear huge because of all the fibre they're being fed but if you check 'blubber' areas you won't find much fat. If she really is turning into a porker then yes, keep the rug off. A horse with a full coat doesn't start to burn calories to keep warm until the temperature gets down to minus 2°C and below.

Queenbee

Visit site
Any suggestions?

I know what you mean! Little man had grown again in a week, snow all over since Saturday and him and eb's have been on haylage and tea, don't shoot me, they do not have breakfast cause she wouldn't eat it, she wants to go out, out, out when you turn up! He has been having a big tea of chaff and fast fibre and his bum has see-sawed up above his withers again (majorly). This pleases me, I want him to grow and grow, I would love for him to make 16hh so every time he grows I smile :)

Walrus

Visit site
My hay is much better than the poor grass we have here. Since its snowed and my pony has had hay in the field and no work I think he's gaining weight, he's having the smallest hay rations possible spread out throughout the day and I'm trying to source some oat straw too. When the snow goes he will go back to no hay in the field which should help as although will have some grass to pick at to keep him occupied he wont be getting as much hay.

LeneHorse

Visit site
Yes, I suspect the extra hay they've been getting due to being in for longer than usual is the most likely cause. Just wish the snow would go away and we could get back to our normal routine. However the BBC today said the cold spell could last until after New Year here. :(

Last edited:

eggs

Visit site
If your hay is anything like the hay around here it will be very good quality.

We had a really good autumn grass growth and still have loads of grass in our fields. the five year olds who live out are still not rugged or hayed but are still not dropping any weight (which I wish they would).

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
Wow, this post has cheered me up no end! My lad is 18, lives out 24/7, he and the two youngsters have been getting a level scoop of Alfa A each day, and I soak one level scoop of sugarbeet which lasts the three of them three days, and Harl is massive! They've been ignoring haylage in the field, so I haven't fed them any for about a week, all they have is grass and that one feed a day. Harl has a lightweight rug on - I took it off today to weigh him as I was worried he would be dropping weight, not at all - he is a 14.3hh cob, and the weigh tape today says 680Kgs!

My OH has a theory that the fructans in the grass are being realeased due to the cold, and the sugars are 'assisting' the weight gain - any opinion on this?

cm2581

Visit site
Not wanting to freak you out but how old is this horse? I have known of horses who are suffering heart failure to appear to gain a huge amount go weight in a short space of time when in fact it is the accumulation of fluid.

Hopefully she's just a fat pie and needs to do some exercise!!

cm2581

Visit site
cm2581 - if that's for me, he's 18, and has been around 650Kg all summer, so I suppose not excessive gain, just a surprise in December!

Was actually referring to the OP. But for you - I hope your weigh tape is dodgy or you are mistaking where to use it!!! A 14.2hh at that weight should be dead!!

Gentle_Warrior

Visit site
Was actually referring to the OP. But for you - I hope your weigh tape is dodgy or you are mistaking where to use it!!! A 14.2hh at that weight should be dead!!

No offence to the poster, but I was thinking the same, I have a very large heavy Suffolk Punch cross Cob aged 18 and am struggling with his weight gain, he was 616 in the summber which was not ttoooo bad and is now upto 632 and I am not happy, but a 14.2 at that weight must be HUGE

Sorry but so pleased by this thread- it has made me feel less alone !

x

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
Not dead yet... this was taken about a fortnight ago, definitely fat, but I don't think the D&H weigh tape is lying (I do know how to use it correctly)! I'm not risking him by riding on the ice, so he'll just have to stay in the field until I can start working him slowly again.
Harley23112010.jpg

silverdollar

Visit site
After reading all these comments im thinking maybe we are over feeding our welsh cross hes 20 yr young gelding weve had him about 5 months so because of the winter we started feeding him 1 scoop sugarbeet 1 to 2 scoops 16 plus and there is hay in the field all the time ( he lives out ) with turnout rug but today we pt on another blanket under as threat of minus 5 temps. he doesnt seem to have gained or lost weight is there anything else we should be doing as i dont want any problems after the winter, hes hardly getting any work out at the moment hope none inds me asking :)

Gentle_Warrior

Visit site
It all depends on the horse. I am doing the following but it does not mean it is right if you know what I mean

Horse
Heavy weight Suffolk Punch x cob aged 18,

Morning Feed
1 scoop hi fi lite chaff
1 1/2 mugs Baileys Local balancer
2 scoops glucosimine
oil

Evening feed
1 scoop hi fi lite chaff
1 mug Baileys Local balancer

Rugs
Medium Weight - Only because I half clipped him about 4 weeks ago before I done my neck in - other wise would be naked

Hay
1 1/2 sections at night only

Routine
Out during day in large field with grass and 3 other neds
In at night in Paddock with shelter with 1 other ned (playful one)!

Riding
At present nothing for the past month. Will shortly be re-clipped and ridden at weekends out hacking ( work fulltime and no lighting in school )

he weighed 616kg in summer field and is now between 624 and 632 in winter field.
x

Ella19

Visit site
Mine looks huge but she's beefed up, partly muscle and partly hay belly. When I weight taped her she's exactly the same as she's always been, looks are deceptive.