Got to ask, does anyone own one of these?

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Right, I was in a very well known equestrian shop and a lovely lady was desperately trying to sell me as much as possible. She asked if I wanted a horse tooth brush, as horses had to have their teeth brushed regularly or they would lose them.
So does anyone use a horse tooth brush?
Just for doubting Thomas' s here is a link:
http://www.equidentltd.com/

FDC

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
c031.gif

a234.gif

trickivicki

Visit site
PJ has a gap in between his front teeth on one side, last time the dentist cam he had a little bit of an infection and it was a bit inflamed (believed to be a bit of grass seed or a little thistle stuck in their) he recommended i keep the gap clean and tidy...

Mentioned to (not so horsey) mum and she appeared back from the supermarket with Bonjela (sp???) and some giant toothbrushes, denture cleaners I believe and they do the job great.

But is for gap clearing rather than polishing up a prize winning set of pearly whites

(I know, its a bit odd)

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
Bought a friend one a few years ago. Her elderly TB had poor gums and used to get hard feed caught. She had to use mouth wash for his gum infections and the brush was ideal. So yes they do have a purpose but it did cause a giggle.

LadyRascasse

Visit site
haha no i am rather attached to my arms!

but i do think it is a good idea for older horses who do get food stuck, i knew a mare that had to have a hose down its month every morning to dislodge all they hay that had got stuck in the night. would have made its owners job easier with a brush

kerilli

Visit site
when i bought my very first horse her previous owner told me that she brushed the mare's teeth every day. however, she did feed her packetsfull of crisps all the time, so maybe she needed her teeth brushing because of that... ;) ;)
i asked an EDT years ago whether feeding polos, sugarlumps etc would rot a horse's teeth the way it can ours, and he said no, their enamel is totally different to that on human teeth, and not affected the same way.
so... no, i don't brush my horses' teeth. i have a mare with incisor problems (she knocked half of them out in a falling-over-at-flat-out-gallop incident) and after veterinary attention the most i did was to squirt warm salty water in from a syringe. that was tricky enough, i don't think she'd stand for the whole Colgate treatment, although the mintyness might help!

LadyRascasse

Visit site
oh i just thought of something, we need volunteers to go round the new forest, dartmoor, exmoor etc to make sure all the wild ponies don't lose there teeth from neglect :rolleyes:

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Glad it is not just me then. Although by some replies they obviously have their uses. I can't image what my YO would say if I turned up with one of those for my 2, she already thinks Cappy is the world's most pampered horse, just because he has an after dinner mint!

FDC

nickslynn

Visit site
Surprised they dont do a special toothpaste as well! ;)
Maybe I should go off and invent one quick and make my fortune?
You would need at least 1/8 of a tube at a time so some money to be made there I think :D :D