Gotta be impressed with this!

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
And I thought my friends horse loading himself from the yard gate was impressive :D

Loved how one considered the way into the trailer, and the other just barged on :D

JillA

Visit site
It's how they reach that point which is the problem - the basic theory is they make it uncomfortable to do anything else, and by uncomfortable I do mean very very uncomfortable. I dallied with the scheme for a while and at one event couldn't load to come home. Yes, they got my horse in the trailer but he was a sweating quivering mess by the time he was in there.

catroo

Visit site
If I drive my trailer or lorry into the ponies field they are straight there desperate to get in, when the ramp comes down it can be a free for all with all four clambering aboard. When I use the trailer to collect hay/bedding I have to shut the ponies away so I get piece while we unload. They also recognise the sound of my lorry and when we pull into the yard (stored at home) they start squealing with excitement.

Oh and no stick in sight!

jeeve

Visit site
NH is really good whether you follow pnh or Kelly marks intelligent horsemanship or whatever, you can get fantastic bond and results with your horse.

But it's horses for courses isn't it- you have to want to follow that path. I am just getting back into horses / NH again and for the first time in ages am really enjoying my horses again.

Am in the middle of Kelly marks book perfect partners - and it is a good read.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Yes, it was impressive. Those horses had completely free choice on whether they came to call and loaded themselves. So whatever method the guy was choosing, the horses were happy with it.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Mine likes to get into/onto anything open in passing, particularly if there's a haynet tied up in there! I've never shown him a carrot stick, plenty of carrots, tho! He also comes galloping to call, maybe I should do a video!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It's how they reach that point which is the problem - the basic theory is they make it uncomfortable to do anything else, and by uncomfortable I do mean very very uncomfortable. I dallied with the scheme for a while and at one event couldn't load to come home. Yes, they got my horse in the trailer but he was a sweating quivering mess by the time he was in there.
There are unfortunately a lot of 'bad' parellliists who do use too much force and are a pretty unpleasant lot always looking to fleece the gullible. (Not inferring that you are gullible JillA!).

I had help with loading my claustrophobic mare from someone who followed a lot of the parelli techniques but in a sensible way. The mare was encouraged into the trailer with plenty of patience, and if she decided to leave it any time, she was allowed to. I was repairing the damage done by my BHS instructor who had loaded her previously by using the old school method of a broom up the backside! That technique worked that one time but my highly intelligent and sensitive mare wasn't going to let that happen a second time, so was rearing if I took her within 50m of the trailer!

She now self loads. She remains claustrophobic, so we have an arrangement that I always travel her with a companion, and she agrees to cope with what she stills finds to be an unpleasant experience.

Parelli isn't all rubbish, but you have to be careful which bits you use and how you use them! My mare actually loves it, and she is not one to be forced into doing anything!