GPS trackers?

soloequestrian

Visit site
Does anyone use one? I'm actually looking for one for a cat - he disappeared for 2 years and is now back so I would like to be able to keep tabs on him (he arrived back complete with an enormous vet bill....). He is quite big so could probably take a tracker meant for a small dog.
I've seen this one on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182395980380?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT which looks both ideal and too good to be true.....
There is also one called 'Lightbug' which hasn't been released yet but looks small enough to be useful.
I live in a rural area of Scotland so unfortunately the ones that rely on lots of people having the same phone app wouldn't be any use.
Any recommendations/ experiences?

Brownmare

Visit site
I had a Retrieva tracker for my whippet and it was brilliant but even the new smaller Nano version would be too big for a cat. I had to ditch mine as we moved to an area with no mobile reception so it was worse than useless as it gave me a false sense of security! I am looking for an alternative and the best one for us apears to be the Findster which does not rely on mobiles at all. It may work for you too as it is quite a small bit of kit that is attached to the collar.

Withers

Visit site
The problem I found with a gps on a cat was that the collar came off and the device was only found by sheer luck as it pings to a large area. Also, cats like to hide out of sight so, if injured or stuck somewhere you would only have a rough idea of location. Ok if it's open ground but no good in a housing area with fenced gardens etc. If your cat never loses its collar, doesn't use the quick release types, it might work. There is one with a light on it to help locate it. Its one of the ones in this list http://www.techradar.com/news/world...or-keeping-tabs-on-your-furry-friends-1313560

I used Tabcat for one of mine when I moved as he had got out and tried to find his way home and was lost for 3 months. Only one has a tab as the other fights other cats and loses the collar too frequently. It's not gps but rfid so it beeps you right to the device within a 100 metre area provided it is not obscured too much - it'll pick up through a fence and a wall, but not right through a house (in my experience). I've always found the collar if it has come off, even if I can't get to it immediately, so have only replaced once since buying 2 years ago. I have had to knock on neighbours' doors asking to retrieve a collar though.... Mine don't roam too far though. You do need to test it regularly to check battery is OK and is sitting against contacts. Customer service has been good when I had a faulty replacement tag. Not perfect, but it was a bit of peace of mind.

A device with both gps and rfid would be better for my cats.

Last edited: