Grackle or Flash- Which is more suitable please?

Archie73

Visit site
Hi

I have a nearly 7yo 17hh Warmblood who was out of work for several months before I bought him in January, he is now getting very fit and I have been riding him in a nu sheule lozange bit and a cavesson but he has starting opening his mouth to evade contact quite often.

My Instuctor suggested a flash which I have put on (it is fitted correctly) and he does go well in it but grinds his teeth quite a lot.

Would a grackle be better and possibly less intrusive (he was ridden in a german hackamore before I had him so is used to pressure on the nose).

My Instuctor is of the opinion that the flash is kinder but when I was a kid I always had grackles (old style) for my jumping ponies.

I just want him to be happy and more or less stopable.

All advice greatly appreciated.
confused.gif

Silverspring

Visit site
Personally I would say a grackle was kinder, it put pressure over the strong bones on the horse's face rather than concentrating on the soft fleshy aprt around the muzzle.

That said I would want to know whay the horse was grinding it's teeth, is it constant or just when you ask for certain things?

Archie73

Visit site
Thanks Princess!
It is on off on off, he did it on a 2hr hack and then in the school the 2nd time I rode in it.....

Silverspring

Visit site
If there is no consistency then it is probably that he just like the noise of it!

I would get his teeth checked anyway next time the dentist is out, the problem with a grackle is that if his teeth are sharp then the leather work often lies over the shapr teeth and can cause discomfort.

I wouldn't want to put anything other than a loose cavesson on unless I was 100% sure the horse's teeth were not sharp.

bailey14

Visit site
The horse could have discomfort elsewhere in its body which causes it to grind its teeth in pain/discomfort. Maybe a chiro would be the next step before resorting to tack changes. Just a thought. x

Archie73

Visit site
Hiya Apple cart, he did not grind his teeth at all before I put a flash on.....would really like know your opinion on which you think is kinder flash or grackle? thanks if you can.

He had the saddler last week, a physio on Monday and teeth a few months ago.......I really can't think of anything else to check,!!!

bailey14

Visit site
I would consider trying a raised port mouthpiece as it may be that he experiencing some discomfort in his mouth - maybe his tongue is to thick for the type of bit you are using although it doesn't seem likely in this case. I have never used a grackle so can't comment, but have used a flash, sadly without getting said horses teeth checked first. Have learnt from experience which is why I suggested getting horse checked over, but as you already have I am at a loss to know what to suggest. Rather be honest and say I don't know than to speculate endlessly. Sorry I can't be of more help xx

Archie73

Visit site
Thanks to Martlin and Applecart- really appreciate your honesty....I think bit is fine, I think I might try the grackle if I can borrow one....personally I think he is quite eccentric and just likes to protest cos he can, I think he just loves to be in control of me LOL.......should add that I do the cavesson fairly tight and can get a little finger easily in the flash...rode in jst the cavesson done up the same last night and no grinding....Me thinks he is just a bit too clever and knows I hate the thought of his discomfort....I know too much credit to his intelligence but hey, hes mine and I love himxxx

Archie73

Visit site
Thanks to fingers too!!! Sorry missed your reply!! BD is far to scary for us...more jumpy bumpy with no control i'm sorry to say!

MAy be when we both grow up LOL

suzysparkle

Visit site
Definately a grackle (of the high ring sort) or a drop. I don't think a flash can be comfortable as it squashes the inner cheek onto the teeth. A grackle sits over the bony part so doesn't have this problem. A drop is also good as it closes the mouth lower down so doesn't need to be done up tightly. You struggle to find decent ones these days though.

KatB

Visit site
High ring grackle. If the noseband is too tight, it stop the horse being able to move its jaw and so flex at the jaw correctly. Just a thought but could be why he is only grinding with a noseband holding his mouth shut
wink.gif

LadyRascasse

Visit site
my mare does this the first thing we did was get the dentist as we were worried she had done something to them, but they where fine so i put a grackle on her and she doesn't do it now.

the other thing that my vet suggested when he saw her do it is that she could possible have gastric ulcers (she doesn't)

Tnavas

Visit site
Some horses really hate the flash noseband as the bottom strap lies over the flesh part of the nostril. I've recently stopped two confirmed head shakers by removing the flash strap.

I prefer the grackle as it can be set hig enough to clear the majority of the teeth and the strap around the jaw misses the sensitive nostril.

Archie73

Visit site
Hi

Thanks for all your advice, I am going to try a grackle!!!!
I rode last night in just a loose cavesson and while he was a little feisty he did not grind his teeth and seemed to really try in the school even though he still opened his mouth when I asked him to things he finds a little hard due to fitness issues.

I would love to continue with just a cavesson but realise that I really am going to need a bit of extra help over jumps etc.

Thanks again, I was really supprised by how good the advice here is!!

GermanyJo

Visit site
Mine does the same thing , was a bit better in a high ring Grakle... however was a vast improvement a drop - I know they are not 'fashionable' but definately worth a try in my opinion

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Try him in a drop. My 17hh IDxTb came to me in a flash but I loathe it. He goes beautifully without it but in it, he grinds his teeth, tries to open his mouth and is generally horrible to ride.

Skhosu

Visit site
Personally I would be getting teeth checked and looking at my riding to see if there is a reasonf or him opening his mouth, and trying a different bit as a flash will just mask the problem, not solve it.