Grain free food suggestions

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Hi, I’ve got a little dog that’s allergic to many things. We’ve found feeding her James Wellbeloved Grain free in either turkey or salmon and veg flavour suits her well. However in the current climate it’s very likely that I will lose my job soon and I’m looking at ways to save pennies where I can. I wondered if anyone had any suggestions for a similar feed that’s perhaps not as expensive. I’ve a few months worth in stock at the moment, I had a feeling this time would come.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Harringtons? I've had to use it when I've run out of JWB. Tonnes more poo though.
Have you checked out the own brand/generic brands from Pets at Home/Jollyes?
Some smaller/independent pet stores will stock their own food, including grain free, with plain packaging/clear sack which is basically the same as the high end stuff.

Smitty

Visit site
My little terrier has been on Sainsburys Hypoallergenic dog food for the last 3 years or so, it is 60% chicken, grain free and he loves it. No upset tums, small poos and it is £6.00 for 2kg.

palo1

Visit site
Harringtons? I've had to use it when I've run out of JWB. Tonnes more poo though.
Have you checked out the own brand/generic brands from Pets at Home/Jollyes?
Some smaller/independent pet stores will stock their own food, including grain free, with plain packaging/clear sack which is basically the same as the high end stuff.

This is what I do and the food is fab! I am lucky that we have a really good local pet shop that does a 'working' dog grain free food (it's a 60/40 mix) and both dogs are looking great on it. It's not especially cheap however but cheaper than the top branded foods. I pay about £40 for 15 kilos - it seems quite a common product so you might find a local pet store than stocks this sort of thing.

ETA When I was looking at all the different options this was comparable to Arden Grange though actually slightly 'better' in terms of ingredients. My next step 'up' would probably have to be Eden but I am open minded about other possiblities at the same level as the one I have now so interested to follow this! :)

{97702}

Visit site
I fed Skinners for years and thought it was really good - then I swapped the dogs to Arden Grange and they did even better on it!

Interestingly I went back to Skinners recently to try and save a few £s and all four dogs immediately lost weight (not a good thing, they were just right before) so I’ve gone back to AG now! I get a good deal from my local feed store because I buy 4 x 12 kilo sacks a month, so they discount it to £32 per sack for me to compete with the online stores.

Clodagh

Visit site
I fed Skinners for years and thought it was really good - then I swapped the dogs to Arden Grange and they did even better on it!

Interestingly I went back to Skinners recently to try and save a few £s and all four dogs immediately lost weight (not a good thing, they were just right before) so I’ve gone back to AG now! I get a good deal from my local feed store because I buy 4 x 12 kilo sacks a month, so they discount it to £32 per sack for me to compete with the online stores.

That's interesting, mine have been on MWH for years but partly I got worried about the legume quantities and also it was costing a fortune. I put them on skinners (salmon and rice) and the three older ones look fine but Ffee is a skinny min now, I keep feeding her more but she just does more poo and still looks ribby. I was thinking I'd have to go back to MWH, at least for her, but I may look at Arden Grange then.

PurBee

Visit site
Ive just been looking into this too for my dogs And cats. Cant believe the amount of soy and grain in petfood, all ended up with immune symptoms -switched to no grain/legume and symptoms clear up.

Watch out for the dog ‘grain free’ ranges - they’re mostly loaded with rice and legumes, and just 20% actual meat protein.

Cheapest i could find and FAR better quality for a better price than the other ‘grain free’ brands is Wolf of Wilderness. Its around 3 euro’s per kilo.
WOW has at least 60% actual meat content in their dry food! my dogs love it, and even my cats love the dog kibble!

Its on offer on zooplus at the moment - i just bought a load.

https://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dr..._rr&slot=2&exprienceid=7562&strategyid=101319

Clodagh

Visit site
Ive just been looking into this too for my dogs And cats. Cant believe the amount of soy and grain in petfood, all ended up with immune symptoms -switched to no grain/legume and symptoms clear up.

Watch out for the dog ‘grain free’ ranges - they’re mostly loaded with rice and legumes, and just 20% actual meat protein.

Cheapest i could find and FAR better quality for a better price than the other ‘grain free’ brands is Wolf of Wilderness. Its around 3 euro’s per kilo.
WOW has at least 60% actual meat content in their dry food! my dogs love it, and even my cats love the dog kibble!

Its on offer on zooplus at the moment - i just bought a load.

https://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dr..._rr&slot=2&exprienceid=7562&strategyid=101319

Well thank you, I was mid order of something ese when I saw this, so have just ordered a load, I hope the dogs like it! (HA!). THe 12kg salmon bag currently has 3 kgs free and I got 2 x 12kg bags of wild boar, because who could resist!

PurBee

Visit site
Well thank you, I was mid order of something ese when I saw this, so have just ordered a load, I hope the dogs like it! (HA!). THe 12kg salmon bag currently has 3 kgs free and I got 2 x 12kg bags of wild boar, because who could resist!

brill clodagh - im sure theyll love it! On that site their delivery is fast now - was very slow at the beginning of covid due to huge order increase....but my recent order arrived in 3 days. I was amazed when the cats crowded around to try the kibble - they loved it too and that says something, as theyre so fussy ?

Clodagh

Visit site
TBH they are labradors and eat absolutely anything with exactly the same enthusiasm. I feed the magpies on Tescos cheapest value kibble and if they find a spilled bit of that it goes down like its caviar!
My fussy feral cat likes MWH too, so am sure she will eat it. (I do give her cat food though).

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I swapped to Pets at Home step up to naturals as a much cheaper alternative to Barking Heads. He looks very well on it and nice firm poo. It doesn’t rate too badly on the Dog food index for the price range. He does get itchy in summer but I think that’s possibly due to a grass allergy. Will see if it comes back this year. I mix it with a 1/4 can of Butchers meat in gravy. I feed the beef and sweet potato which is grain free or chicken and turkey version which is wheat free.

I tried Skinners salmon and rice but his poo was always very soft and yellowish on that.

PurBee

Visit site
Yellowed poop generally in mammals suggests liver not absorbing fats and so fats excreted turns poops yellowish.
bear in mind certain yellow foods could do this too like turmeric maybe? Or if there was something in the ingredients which would potentially cause liver issues, then the liver enzymes get affected and sluggish liver function causing malabsobtion of fats, messing up bile production = yellow poops.

it’s fashionable for animal food creators to add herbs/supplements/botanicals that arent necessarily supported medically for certain animals. There’s plenty of horse feeds with added garlic, for instance.

Clodagh

Visit site
brill clodagh - im sure theyll love it! On that site their delivery is fast now - was very slow at the beginning of covid due to huge order increase....but my recent order arrived in 3 days. I was amazed when the cats crowded around to try the kibble - they loved it too and that says something, as theyre so fussy ?

They are on their third bag now and I am so impressed. Tawny looks amazing and her ears are clean in spite of swimming. She is much less itchy around her lips as well. I recommend.