Grand National so many failed to finish!

Little Squirrel

Visit site
Syncronised fell when loose at the 11th and broke his leg. According to Pete was brought down at Beecher's and it looked like he broke his shoulder.

It is always sad to lose any horse but I hate when the public jump on the bandwagon saying how cruel it is etc etc. What people don't seem to appreciate is that these things happen in any equine sport. As Donald McCain pointed out on Thursday after Gottany Os broke his leg Where there's livestock, there's deadstock. This is true for any farmer in the country and when people's livelyhoods are horses the same has to be said. They are living fragile anilmals who are bred to do a job and for the most they love that job.

Each horse that died today wouldn't have felt a thing as their blood would have still been up and they would have been dealt with in a respectfull and efficient manner.

Both the horses which died were freak accidents. There were plenty worse falls today and the horses got up and were fine. Noel Fehily broke his leg for anyone that's interested in the jockey's welfare!

Little Squirrel

Visit site
Oh dear let them be devistated !!! they knew the risk the horses didint have a choice it was made for them !! jockeys if they get hurt or killed so what ???they made a choice....

You are completley ignorant. A friend of mine was a jockey and he was killed. He was one of the nicest guy's you could meet. He was 25 when he died.

How would you feel if that was your friend, brother, father?? These lads make a living from riding horses. They love what they do. Yes they have a choice but they are the bravest men in any sport.

ladyt25

Visit site
As I have said on another post, it is so sad but you do have to look at the bigger picture and so many horses die every day doing mundane things or competing in other disciplines. I actually thought at the end of the National today that all horses were fine as had seen all get up after falls. I was very shocked to hear about Sychronised as saw him running on an jumping when he was loose so that is very sad BUT at that point noone was forcing him to run and jump so there was little that could be done.

I don't know anything about the build up with According to Pete but how horrid that that was the outcome from a very unfortunate fall.

I wouldn't want to stop racing or the GN at all but I do think they could do with reducing the numbers allowed in it tio be honest. It always seems later, when they have spread out a bit there are less incidents. It's those first few fences where they're like a stampede where I am most tense.

Kokopelli

Visit site
I'm so sad for the pair of them but particularly according to pete.

He seemed such a character and was stunning as well, I didn't place a bet but if I did my money would have been on him.

And his poor owner, was she the one in tears when he was being saddled up?

At least we know that these two amazing horses have lived a life of luxury and were cared for to the best standards. It's just sad their life was cut short.

caramac

Visit site
I feel really, really sad for According to Pete's owners. They had a little video clip of them on the build up. They were just ordinary people who lived in a little village in Yorkshire. They bred him and he spent his first 2 years of his life living in the paddock behind their house. His owner was in his 70's and his daughter was really emotional before the race started. They said all they wanted was for him to come home safely. They will be heartbroken

ann-jen

Visit site
I love racing but still struggle to see why they allow 40 horses in the GN?

It is far too many and imo the sheer number of horses NOT the fences is what causes so many falls.

Poor According To Pete who was PTS was brought down by another horse.

Why not limit it to a more sensible number of runners like 20?

Agree ^^^

langside

Visit site
Sadly the race once again has been over shadowed by the two deaths both of which were total freak accidents

Poor According Pete had his ears forward the who race jumped the fences beautifully but got knocked down by another horse (and i'm sorry in this case it had nothing to do with the race being too full as by then the field had been easily halfed)

Syncronized fell at the 6th with AP but galloped on and continued jumping with the field jockey-less but then fell again at the 12th

Sadly both of these are risks that can never be removed

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i also watched the race and was shocked at the number of fallers and upset that 2 horses have lost their lives . BUT its about time the media made the general public aware of the poor horses who are travelled for many hours in horrendous conditions , some of them already with broken legs and other injuries before being killed(probabley not in the most humane way) these racehorses are well looked after and only suffer for a matter of minutes rather than hours and hours..... anyone on here who is not a member of world horse welfare, please donate to help stop this terrible trade, they need us!!!!!!!

HorseGirl18

Visit site
everyone on here are being so horrible about racing. it was an accident. it could happen in any discipline, like badminton one year. i was next to the breeder of the horse who was screaming! it was an accident, they tripped. i know it was horrible to watch but no-one could see it comming. they died doing the thing they love. most sports are high risk, just because theres no animals involved doesnt mean it cant be just as bad. yes it was tragic, i agree, but its a high risk sport and not just for the horses

mypegasus

www.themusingsofpegasus.wordpress.com
I had a bad feeling about Syncronised before the race. Some years ago there was a Gold Cup winner (Alverton I think) they tried to do the double with him and he was killed in the GN. History repeating itself and so sad.

RIP beautiful horses.

Alverton won the Gold Cup ridden by Jonjo O'Neill in 1979, and Jonjo O'Neill was riding him in the National the same year when he suffered a fatal fall at Bechers Brook. (I think)

Bizarrely history appears to have repeated itself, except Jonjo trained Synchronised.

RIP Synchronised and According to Pete, run free and enjoy jumping the National fences in the sky

rhino

Visit site
Sadly the race once again has been over shadowed by the two deaths both of which were total freak accidents

The first definition for freak accident that I found:

An accident is a specific, unexpected, unusual and unintended external action which occurs in a particular time and place, with no apparent and deliberate cause but with marked effects. ...

Is it really unexpected or unusual, when it happens year in, year out?

Freddie19

Visit site
Alverton won the Gold Cup ridden by Jonjo O'Neill in 1979, and Jonjo O'Neill was riding him in the National the same year when he suffered a fatal fall at Bechers Brook. (I think)

Bizarrely history appears to have repeated itself, except Jonjo trained Synchronised.

RIP Synchronised and According to Pete, run free and enjoy jumping the National fences in the sky

also do not forget Dawn Run, won champion hurdle, then the gold cup was sent to France for a hurdle race not long after winning gold cup, fell and broke her neck.....jockey was ? That was the one that I could not forgive, what a loss to the stud world she was.

Fantasy_World

Visit site
Two very sad deaths today at Aintree but they were accidents. Both were accidental deaths.
Synchronised was fresh and well before the start which is partly why he unshipped McCoy. When he fell at Bechers he actually seemed to jump ok but stumbled as he landed. Sad that he got injured as he ran loose. As for According to Pete his fate was worse in my opinion as he got brought down and simply had no where to go.
At least they would have felt little, if anything at all.
To be honest I don't blame the number of runners or the fences today. The delay when Synchronised got loose going down to the start didn't help, but for me the start was a farce. Jockeys trying to keep horses calm as their blood was pumping waiting for the loose horse to be caught and then faffing around with the bleeding tape. Why was it so paramount that the tape be drawn across. Horses were there ready to go but they kept faffing to get it secured. Should have let them go and maybe just maybe we may not have had half the field getting worked up and going off like they did.
Ballabriggs was a clear example of this as he got very worked up and sweaty.
I think it is about time some protocol was in place or they had a flag start with this race due to the number of runners. We are talking about a race over 4 miles and 4 furlongs, not a mile over the flat, plenty of time to make up a few yards lost at the start.
RIP to the horses that died today :(

irishdraft

Visit site
I watched the race and whatever the whys and wherefores of racing and accepting the risk, there seemed to be so many fallers and According to Pete to be brought down when he was such a game little horse and had got so far round was particularly upsetting, I do feel for the owners although they must have realised the risks, it has put me off the race now and I wont watch again.

pinktiger

Visit site

It is far too many and imo the sheer number of horses NOT the fences is what causes so many falls.

ditto this!! Im nothing other than an observer,, and from what i observed today the trouble began at the first 5 fences,, could be the blood being up, could have been from waiting for Ap mcoy to do his thing and retrieve his horse (RIP sync) then show it the first fence!! Possibly Too much waiting and tension for fit horses and wired' ready to go jockeys', followed by the chaos at the tape!! There just seemed too many horses, by a good half,,, they just seemed unable to avoid each other at all!! Also this year over any other ive watched ,the horses seemed to be climbing these fences like they were abseiling rather than jumping!!

Firewell

Visit site
I think the subject of the GN and racing is such a complicated and sensitive one with so many pro's and con's, it's really very hard for me to take sides.
However I do know I did not enjoy watching the carnage one bit. Yes it's nice to have thrills and spills but it's almost like watching a blood sport when it's so dangerous for the horses and the jockeys.
The start was a total farce and an embarassment. I agree with the poster who said this was partly to blame. They need to get rid of that bloody tape, if some are dwelling at back tough luck. They need to be able to jump off first time, what they should say is anyone seen on camera to be over the line on starters orders will be penalised after the race. That would soon keep them all back.
I think the field is too large. I know its the National and everything but honestly it was the pile ups that cause the trouble. Its when a horse falls it brings down the ones behind who can't get out of the way in time.
Maybe back 100's of years ago when people were used to livestock being dead stock it was more acceptable but nowadays when horses are seen as pets more, it's a bitter pill to swallow.
Saying that, those two horses were probably more better off than a lot of horses in this world. It's sad but I'd be seriously stonkingly rich if I had a penny for every horse ruined by a fool. It's a sad fact of life, kids are abused, horses are abused, hell happens.
Racing has it's place but they are going to have to do something about the National to reduce the fatality rate or i'm for one am not going to be able to watch it. I love the history behind it and the fairy tale stories but it really upsets me to look at all the horses before the race and wonder which ones won't make it :(. It shouldn't be like that.

X

xspiralx

RIP According to Pete and Synchronised.

It is very sad for any horses to die, and of course to have such a high profile death in the Gold Cup winner is an absolute PR disaster for racing as much as anything else.

It's a tremendous shame, and devastating for the all the connections of the horse.

But that said, these horses are bred to do a job. They are kept in peak physical condition while they are alive. If they do have an accident they are put out of their misery quickly and painlessly.

There are millions of animals in this country that are not so lucky. Not just horses and other pets, but millions and millions of factory farmed animals.

So yes, whilst it is sad when any horse dies unnecessarily, I think it is important to keep a sense of perspective.

Marydoll

Visit site

Agee with this, right away reducing the numbers would help imo

starryeyed

Visit site
This year was the first year I didn't watch it, because I can't bear to watch them fall and had a feeling that the "alterations" wouldn't change anything, though hoped I'd be proven wrong.
I'm the same as Firewall - I watch them at the start and wonder which ones will cross the finish line, and that shouldn't be what the grand national is about. So, so sad. I realise it's a "risk" sport, but they need to reduce the number of runners to at least half, the poor horses don't stand a chance. RIP x

Echo Bravo

Visit site
I think some of the op's should grow up. And Splashgirl this is the wrong post to bring up how horrendous some horses live their last hours,because these people don't really care,they just want to create a lot of fuss.

punk

Visit site

I SSSOOO agree with you!! I do think it is the number of runners that is the problem IMHO - the horses (and riders) get anxious by being crowded, and there are some very tight turns and very large fences!!! Am no expert , being an eventer at heart, but how many of our Badminton riders would like to come into a 5' fence surrounded by other horses (some of them quite possibly riderless!!) I know it is the norm in racing, but the fences and the course are not the norm of steeplechasing.

I would hate to see the GN become a walk in the park - it should test to the limit - but to see so many horses 'brought down' by others doesn't do the sport any good in the long run.

jenbleep

Visit site
RIP According to Pete and Synchronised.

It is very sad for any horses to die, and of course to have such a high profile death in the Gold Cup winner is an absolute PR disaster for racing as much as anything else.

It's a tremendous shame, and devastating for the all the connections of the horse.

But that said, these horses are bred to do a job. They are kept in peak physical condition while they are alive. If they do have an accident they are put out of their misery quickly and painlessly.

There are millions of animals in this country that are not so lucky. Not just horses and other pets, but millions and millions of factory farmed animals.

So yes, whilst it is sad when any horse dies unnecessarily, I think it is important to keep a sense of perspective.

100% agree. I'm so sick of people going on saying racing is cruel - these horses are bred to do a job and are the ultimate athletes, if they require any medical attention they have it right away and are treated by the best vets or put out of their misery immediately. I doubt they feel any pain anyway what with the amount of adrenaline pumping around their bodies.

There are much more important horse welfare issues that need to be addressed imo, and that's not NH racing!!!

silu

Visit site
So much for all the changes that have been made to The National fences. I walked the course 2 weeks ago having not walked it for about 15 years and boy have there been changes to the heights of the fences etc. I'm no expert, however the changes looked to me as tho they would encourage SPEED. Indeed the race today was run in a fast time. I was horrified at the carnage over the 1st few fences despite the field being deemed the classiest ever. I am old enough to have witnessed what happened to Alverton and had a sinking feeling before the race re Synchronised. I did actually pick Neptune to win, however I took little pleasure in watching the race. What happened to "hunting" the 1st circuit and racing the 2nd? That said I think Neptune was about 2nd/3rd last over the 1st fence?
I have been to Aintree/watched The National on TV for over 50 years and I will never watch the race again. Since the changes to the course there seems to me an inevitability of disaster about it.

millitiger

Visit site
Just because you think the GN needs to make some changes doesn't mean you are against the GN or racing in general.

Going on and on about how well cared for racehorses are, imo, is nothing to do with the argument of the GN itself.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Out of all the comments on here the one that makes me the maddest is "the horses were doing something they loved" - total crap - they were following the herd instinct and man is mearly using that fact.

40 horses - too many - tape - stupid and pointless - faffing around at the start - they should have a grand prix style start - the ones with a real chance and good odds at the front the ones with poorer odds behind, get them walking in a couple of rows and then let them go off smootly - trust me if i was on an outsider I would be much happier at the back with the fence height reduced for the first time round and as someone said its over 4 miles - a couple of feet wont make any differance - when was the last time there was a "photo finish"

Beside that - how many were lost and injured this time round on the Friday - last time I was at Liverpool equine, we had 6 brought in on the Friday with broken legs - and those were the ones that made it there.

GW