Grass colic

hellybelly6

Visit site
My horse has suddenly started getting seasonal colic spring and autumn. It’s spasmodic gas colic. Haven’t heard of this before. Has anybody else had to deal with this?

Birker2020

Visit site
My horse has suddenly started getting seasonal colic spring and autumn. It’s spasmodic gas colic. Haven’t heard of this before. Has anybody else had to deal with this?
For years. Feed a probiotic, give sloppy feeds, strip graze and ensure water in paddock scrubbed out and changed at least every third day in Summer.

fallenangel123

Visit site
Fennel seeds in feed are very helpful for shifting the gas. One of mine was bad on and off for a week, vet out a couple of times for meds which helped short term but it kept returning till I gave her fennel.

Surbie

Visit site
Yep, a friend's horse went to Liphook last week with a severe case that didn't respond to meds and they managed to resolve it there in ICU without surgery. Liphook vets thought it might be due to the crazy weather we have had since late February and the various flushes in the grass since there had been no management changes. Horse is now muzzled and a lot less bloated.