Grass Free Turnout pen??

Carlosmum

Visit site
It looks as though pony has EMS, vet coming to x-ray on monday but his comments on cresty neck and fat pads seem conclusive. I will need to construct some kind of grass free area but don't really know where to start. I have 2 small paddocks which are for my ponies use, ( on farm at home) but am really at a loss as to sorting out the turnout area. I know I should put down a membrane & wood chip, but is there a way of making a less permanent pen OH & son are likely to put up a fight as said area will have to be taken off the BPS acreage, let alone me actually asking for help to construct or finance anything. Any help or suggestions gratefully received!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
What sort of land do you have?

I’ve successfully made small turnout areas in front of a field shelter by judicious use of electric fencing. Any grass is soon eaten down and then I hay up. This is trickier in winter without a ‘surface’, but still doable if your land doesn’t get too boggy.

TwinkleT

Visit site
I just have a round pen and with the pony on it all the time there is zero food in it now. I'm having to feed hay in there and he is losing weight steadily.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I have killed all the grass with glyphosate on a turnout pen made with electric fencing for one horse, bit it wasn't in it in winter. You'd need very good drainage to get away with that.

Carlosmum

Visit site
I have killed all the grass with glyphosate on a turnout pen made with electric fencing for one horse, bit it wasn't in it in winter. You'd need very good drainage to get away with that.

I think I'd be in big trouble if I got the glypho out..... we are organic farmers! But I have thought about it!!!

Leo Walker

Visit site
Mines out in a bare paddock now. It didnt take long for it to become totally bare. Could you make a pen out of electric fencing and then when its wetter in the winter there will generally be less grass so you could strip graze or make a track.

kinnygirl1

Visit site
A few people in my EMS support group on fb seem to be having success with putting carpet down and fencing it in to make a pen.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I would think that it depends on the soil.

Where I live, the soil is practically sand; even here in the garden at the back of the house, it's easy to wear down the grass with us walking on it during the summer, as any rain just drains away very quickly and the grass is quite fragile.

If your land was similar, then I think that having a small enough pen would mean that your horse would destroy the grass though a combination of trampling and grazing really quite quickly at this time of year.

If your land is heavier soil, then you might end up with a muddy patch and have all the problems associated with that...

cauda equina

Visit site
I've done sort-of non grass turnout by mowing it as short as the mower will go and collecting the cuttings, then fencing with electric fence or alpaca hurdles
I only used it in dry weather but if your land is heavy or the pony a churner grass mats might work, and have the advantage of being non-permanent

tda

Visit site
I have a feeding area made from Mud Control mats, they are solid interlocking slabs, and can be taken up and moved. They are not the cheapest, but effective.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
another option which will still take of the acreage but by not a lot would be a small area of membrane/hard core/wood chip/sand at the top by the gate about the size of 3-4 stables and then a track system round the rest of the paddock, easily fenced with electric and the rest of the field is untouched. hopefully the continual movement will improve the ems and you can shut either side so pony only has access to the small area if very wet.

Cassy

Visit site
I am interested in this post as we have a similar problem with our pony who had laminitis last year and this diagnosed with EMS and PSD. At the moment he is well managed on a bare paddock (grazed down by 2 horses), stabled in the day and out with soaked hay at night. But come the dreaded winter not sure how we will cope.

windand rain

Visit site
Tracks are the best if you can ensure they dont get muddy the more exercise an EMS pony can get the better they do. track of grass, rubber, gravel, membrane and surface, and concrete all supported by suitable groundworks are great but expensive and not conducive to being part of a farm I expect.

maya2008

Visit site
We had a roped off bit of woodland for a while for an EMS horse. Wasn't overly large, perhaps 20m x 15m, but a lot larger than a stable and my horse and her friend could walk around a bit and chill. Put straw down to stop it getting muddy, topped up the straw regularly. Haynets hung from trees. She came in at night.

Lintel

Visit site
I have a highland and shetland at home and when we bought the house we built a hard standing area (just incase). Due to access issue we could only use wood chip as the surface. We did all the fencing and the chip is laid on stones
never had a problem with drainage and it's been down 3 years in Scotland! If it were to be less permanent could you electric fence it?