Grass growth

Groom Mum

Visit site
I was just wondering if this is my circumstances with my ponies or the grass isn't growing as fast as it should be this time of year.
Is everyone else's grass growing quickly? mine is worryingly slow, but it could be fact mine are on the field 24hrs, although they spend a bit of the night in their shelter with hay.

I'm restricting the areas because of lack of grass, NOT because there is too much and i'm worried about them getting fat !!

maximoo

Visit site
We have spilt our fields into 3 paddocks 2 horses in each so we can rest one while we use the other 2 paddocks but we have had to top our fields twice as to much grass so I'm the opposite to you

Groom Mum

Visit site
That makes me jealous !!! I'm struggling a bit like through winter although not as bad. I've never known such a lack of grass growth in June !!! Unless my boys are just hoovering it like crazy.

Groom Mum

Visit site
Can you split the field in 2? If you can rotate the grazing it will be better. Even a week will allow the grass to recover a lot.

I am split grazing my fields. But they are so miserable in just about 3/4 acre. But it's the only way to go. I have to rest areas otherwise I'm gonna be struggling come autumn/winter. It's just weird to be fighting for grass growth in July !!!

rascal

Visit site
Our 5 only have 2 fields of 4 acres and they seem perfectly happy. The two small ponies are only on about an acre, maybe a little less, both are under 12.2 so get fat on fresh air. We have too much grass at the moment.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
I suspect your horses are eating everything as soon as it grows...not that the grass isn't growing. Just fence off a small bit and see how much grows in a week or two. How often have you cut your lawn so far this year?

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Our 5 have been on two ish acres for a month now and all bar one are as fat as barrels! One gets let on the good grass a few times a week to fatten up. Two get fenced off the grass with hay during the day 5 days a week to stop them getting too fat. We have about 7 acres totally out of use and growing wild, should come in handy for winter though.

Only problem is the amount of poo picking (we normally Harrow) and I'll need to start dedicating some serious time to ragwort picking over the ungrazed fields in a couple of weeks

PorkChop

Visit site
If they are maintaining their weight then there must be grass.

I'm another with too much grass and having to restrict grazing.