Grass is growing!

southerncomfort

Visit site
(With apologies to those still dealing with wet conditions).

We've had a lovely mild, dry spell here and I noticed yesterday that a verge I'd strimmed down to the ground has started growing up again.

A few sloppy droppings in the field too.

Going to give less grass and more hay until the temperatures drop again I think.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Grass grows slowly on our sandy soil, even when we have optimally moist and warm weather.

After a couple of months of alternating cool and warm weather the temperature has dropped quite significantly: last night and the night before, it went down to around -3°C. It was still dark when I started working, so I couldn't read the outdoor thermometer stuck to the kitchen door window, but it was still -1°C at around 10h30 when I thought to look.

{123756}

Visit site
Oh you'd be surprised. My 2 are also in a bog but the grass sensitive one was boinging like tigger this morning. Poo in stable suspiciously green

I would love nothing more then to have some dry days to get some growth. More for my sake then anyone elses, I cant go anywhere without some kind of mud splatter all over me. I had some funny looks from family members this Christmas!

Finlib

Visit site
Moved the horses onto the next field of foggage Christmas eve .The field they were on since early October is grazed down .Yesterday Hubbie thoroughly harrowed it and rolled around the gateways to level out the hardstanding. Looks really good ready for the spring.
Coloured Cob is chucking off his coat with gay abandon despite being naked all winter.
gave him a brush today it was like a snowstorm!!

Last edited:

Doublethyme

Visit site
Yep my 16. 3 warmblood is currently muzzled as the grass flush which normally hits us in October and upsets her gut, is delayed this year and just hit in the last week or so.
Plus we have two lami ponies on the yard showing issues

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
The ‘summer ‘ field still looks green even though it is very wet and muddy. It can’t be appetising as my mare is not grazing all day. Her poos are dark green though.
Today I opened a extremely small patch that was last grazed in September. I have 2 other similar patches. I use them for the change over to the next field of foggage which is over ankle deep soggy grass.
I wait with baited breath to see if there is a personality change.

southerncomfort

Visit site
All the resting sheep pasture near us suddenly looks very bright green too.

So different to last year, I don't think we had any growth at all until April!

Lacuna

Visit site
There must be more goodness in the grass than I thought as coblet is leaving virtually all his hay (even overnight) in preference to eating in the bog.

dorsetladette

Visit site
My 2 haven't been waiting for me in a morning, instead have been grazing down the field when I arrive.
I got there early this morning as back to work today and I had to go and find them as couldn't see them from the yard. There was also some hay left from last nights nets so they are obviously getting enough.
I've got sandy soil so not boggy, but grass grows a lot slower. The temperature hasn't dropped below 6C even at night for the last couple of weeks here.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
So are the blinking nettles!

And how do I know this...? By pulling stuff up with bare hands and not watching what I was doing. Hands were so cold I didn't feel the stinging 'till later. Ouch. With bells (and calomine lotion) on.

b007.gif

Last edited: