GRASS LIVERY IN ESSEX - IS THERE SUCH A THING?!

Stoxx

Visit site
To be honest I don't know of many places that just offer grass livery anymore. There is one place near Ingatestone but the owner can be a bit 'funny'.

lil_babe

Visit site
There is one in the Epping area- I turned my youngster away there the year before last. I think they advertise in the Essex Rider.

Jambo

Visit site
Does she do retirement liveries? I thnk I know who you mean
grin.gif

Stoxx

Visit site
Oh no, from the little I know, the horses there are very happy and seem to settle well. But I think perhaps it is best for someone that wants to turn their horse away and to some extent forget about them. Rather than someone that wants to go down all the time to fiddle around etc............

Twiglet

Visit site
Frieze Hall definitely do it. It's in a big mixed herd, quite a lot of space, and some natural shelter. They get hayleged in the winter. It's about £120 a month in the winter as far as I remember.

CBAnglo

Visit site
I have heard not so good things about the retirement place in Ingatestone.

Sorry to hijack thread by Twiglet can you clear some pms please I have tried to send you about 100!

CLT

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies.

We are in West Essex but anywhere near Ongar, Chelmsford, Ingatestone, Brentwood is fine. I have friends near Dunmow so that's not a bad area either.

I've checked Essex Rider and the person with the mixed herd ad in there isn't taking horses over the winter. The retirement place is an option - tho I'm told it's expensive. My girl's needs are very few, grass, a rug, worming, and mates to play with.

I'll look up Frieze Hall

Thanks and if anyone has any more info keep it coming.

Jnegus

New User
Visit site
Sorry to raise this again. I am also looking for "assisted grass livery" (which means I don't have to go up every day) for a retired, but very fit and robust horse, in reasonable distance of Epping, but I also need haylage fed in winter. I can find a couple of good places, one on my doorstep, which feed hay, but my boy is allergic. I was very excited to hear about Frieze Hall Farm, but when I rang them they said they don't do it! Not just no vacancies - don't do it at all. The only number I could find was the haylage and animal feed supplier one. Have I rung the wrong place? Did I just speak to the wrong person?

Help!

Thanks and grateful for any further suggestions.

Twiglet

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to raise this again. I am also looking for "assisted grass livery" (which means I don't have to go up every day) for a retired, but very fit and robust horse, in reasonable distance of Epping, but I also need haylage fed in winter. I can find a couple of good places, one on my doorstep, which feed hay, but my boy is allergic. I was very excited to hear about Frieze Hall Farm, but when I rang them they said they don't do it! Not just no vacancies - don't do it at all. The only number I could find was the haylage and animal feed supplier one. Have I rung the wrong place? Did I just speak to the wrong person?

Help!

Thanks and grateful for any further suggestions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh not sure then......they have always done it in the past, and as far as I was aware, they still offered it. Don't know when/why it would have changed. Did you speak to Crown Corner or Frieze Hall? (Crown Corner's the shop.....)

Jnegus

New User
Visit site
Wow! Thanks for responding so fast. I can only find numbers for the Essex Animal Feeds, which is at Frieze Hall Farm and for Frieze Hall Farm haylage producers. Both these numbers are the same - 01277 375 647. However, I assumed it would all be linked. Perhaps I'd better go up there at the weekend and have a look around, that may be the best way. It is really annoying because it sounds just what I am looking for. There must be someone out there (short of incredibly expensive retirement livery) that does grass livery and feeds haylage. You are after all supposed to keep horses with these allergies out at grass.

Thanks

Twiglet

Visit site
It sounds like the right place to call then. Maybe they've stopped doing it? Although I do find it really odd as they've done it for years!

Jnegus

New User
Visit site
I'll just keep harassing them then. I wonder how the person who started this post got on? I'll let you know what find out just for info.

Twiglet

Visit site
I'm not sure harrassing them will get them to start it again if they've stopped!
Knowing the owners (they own my yard also) if they were still doing it, they'd have said so....have never kept it quiet in the past.

Good luck on your search!

Jnegus

New User
Visit site
I wasn't suggesting I could harrass them into doing it again! Even they do it they may not have vacancies. But I think I just need to speak to the right person. They may have stopped, they may have simply found a more profitable use for the land! All businesses move on. It would be just my luck if that's the case!

Thanks for your help. I do appreciate it.

JackSpratt

New User
Visit site
hi, I am based at the Ingatestone yard some people are referring to (Essex Horse Retirement). The stables/grazing/care are second to none and I have been to quite a few yards around the area and I have never been happy up until now. My horse is semi-retired at the moment and the owners look after her as if she was their own horse. Nothing is too much trouble. I have noticed that there have been remarks left about "no frills" yard and the grazing is not so good but this is completely untrue and I could not recommend it enough. I am very happy there. :)