grass livery, what should you expect for your money?

Mince Pie

Visit site
I pay £30 a week for grass livery, for that the YO feeds and provides hay when needed (although feed/hay not included in price). She also checks him over 2 x a day, worms (again, extra) and lets me know when the farrier is due.
She has about 8 horses on 32 acres so plenty of grass still, in fact I don't think I'll need to buy haylage this winter!

wills_91

Visit site
Gosh £30 a week?? In my area grass livery is between £10-£15 p/w. At my yard YO checks grass liveries twice a day & will feed & hay (owners provide feed & hay).

TequilaMist

Visit site
It would depend on what was agreed when you moved on .We are on diy(with a stable) and whilst yard owner would never ignore a horse in trouble and does glance over them,it is not his role but we all know that.
Would expect fencing to be sound etc.If full grass livery would expect horse to be checked on,poo picked ,fed etc but if just grass wouldn't.Also would depend what facilities you have access to
We are 40 per week on our yard but that includes indoor/outdoor school/hay

MileAMinute

Visit site
I guess it depends on whether it's grass livery or full grass livery.

Grass livery to me is what it is - a field. You have to poopick, ragwort pick (if applicable, hopefully not), check water, sort hay. YO is responsible for maintaining the fencing. Around £15-£20 p/w.

Full grass livery - horse checked for you, poopicking done, waters done, hay done by YO. This goes for around £35 p/w near me (but it's very scarce).

Palindrome

Visit site
depends on your area as well. I used to be at yard where it was £35/week grass livery, use of manege and a space for feeds, good tack room and safe fencing and field maintained and poo picked but horse not fed or checked. Hay was put in field in winter and cost split between owners. Was a nice yard but needed a stable so moved to a DIY yard.

NellRosk

Visit site
All the grass livery I've been on has literally been a field with fencing, no checks etc. I would do water, poo pick, feed and check my horses. If any fencing was broken that would be repaired by YO. This usually cost around £20 PW although on the last yard it was £35 (was getting ripped off so moved!)

misskk88

Visit site
I looked into grass livery at two places.

One was £30 per week (3 horses on 10 acres) and the other £25 per week (horse on 1-2 acres if individual). This included two daily checks, poo picking, ad lib hay and rug changes as required. Fields had shelters, but stables were also available if needed.

Thought both were quite a bargain, but sadly too far for me to travel to, so my petrol costs would outweigh the very reasonable cost!

swilliam

Visit site
I look after a friend's pony - grass, hay, feed, farrier, worming, poo-picking and checked twice a day for £140 per calendar month.

blackandwhite

Visit site
Thankyou for your replies. I'm sick to death of my yo doing nothing about fencing. A few rotten posts and some dangly non-electrified wire isn't a fence! I only pay £70 a week for 3 but I can't get my head round the lack of basic care like fence maintenance and noticing that they've escaped! Time to move on I think.

MileAMinute

Visit site
Thankyou for your replies. I'm sick to death of my yo doing nothing about fencing. A few rotten posts and some dangly non-electrified wire isn't a fence! I only pay £70 a week for 3 but I can't get my head round the lack of basic care like fence maintenance and noticing that they've escaped! Time to move on I think.

Yes I would expect fencing to be included in your livery, unless your horses were the cause of broken planks/wire. Even then the YO should fix it but maybe charge you for the items replaced. Good luck finding somewhere else :)

ironhorse

Visit site
I had my mare on grass livery while we were trying to get her in foal and then when she sadly wouldn't take, when we were looking for a loan home for her. We did have another horse on full livery at the same yard so probably got a 'premium' service, but it included: field waters done, rugs checked etc if I was away, max 3 horses in a 4 acre field. When we had a spell of horrendous weather they brought her into the barn overnight to dry off and have some hay at no extra charge. Bring in for farrier etc included, and when we needed to bring her back into work, use of their two schools and wash box, tack and rug storage. Think it was £6.50 a day; haylage was extra.

AandK

Visit site
I am on DIY grass livery, pay £80 per month per horse (I have two), I am lucky I have a 5 acre field for my horses which is split into two 2.5 lots so I use one half in summer and the other in winter. I look after my two, poo pick/de-ragwort etc and pay for my own hay/feed. If there was a fencing issue I would flag to YM and she would liaise with YO to fix. If I want checks/feed/hay then I pay extra (yard also does part livery), although my two can be seen from the road as you drive into the yard so I have been informed of issues in the past (lameness/broken rugs). I get use of facilities included in my livery fee (school, storage, use of yard for tying up on). I am in West Sussex.

Suechoccy

Visit site
I paid £10 a week and got grass, fence, water. Horses lived in a herd of other horses (4 other liveries) and cattle. We grass-liveries repaired the fences when the animals broke them, and rounded-up the cattle when they broke fence and escaped (twice). We bought hay between us and kept it inside the open barn and sorted out a rota between us for ensuring neddies checked at least twice a day but most usually about 5 times a day as we all tended to get there at least once, sometimes twice. No poopicking, fields were harrowed. A good deal and worked well.

misskk88

Visit site
Your yard owner has a duty of care, and I would gently remind her of this when it comes to the fencing issue. If she still refuses I think you are probably right to look for another place!

Kezzabell2

Visit site
My yard owner didnt notice when my horse was away for a month

I don't even get my lights fixed if they trip out. Waited 3 weeks with a horse on box rest. So had to muck out in the pitch black twice a day

He's still happy to take my money tho

Possum

Visit site
£35pw, YO does poo-picking in summer, checks trough and hays in winter - the hay is included. Repairs any fencing, even when it's because our thug of a warmblood has shoved it. They don't 'check' as such, and wouldn't do hard feed, but would probably notice while haying if one of my 3 didn't all run over when the quad appeared.
I am also in an expensive area, so think I'm getting a good deal.

TheMule

Visit site
On a farm, £25/week, all field maintenance done by farmer, no poo picking required as huge fields which are properly rotated and harrowed. Hay supplied when required in winter (although rarely needed as tonnes of acerage), stable for use when grooming, tacking up etc and for use if ever need box rest (straw included), storage area and space in tack room. No arena.

Goldenstar

Visit site
On a farm, £25/week, all field maintenance done by farmer, no poo picking required as huge fields which are properly rotated and harrowed. Hay supplied when required in winter (although rarely needed as tonnes of acerage), stable for use when grooming, tacking up etc and for use if ever need box rest (straw included), storage area and space in tack room. No arena.

That's a good deal.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I have one DIY livery.

She currently has one horse plus companion pony and has the sole use of a 4-acre field, divvied up three-quarters to one-quarter and/or leccy fencing, the field has its own water supply and is directly overlooked by my neighbour's house, so good "security".

She has access when needed to a loosebox and large yard/tying up area. Plus her own lockable tack-room and feed/hay storage area. Mains electric on site. She stores her lorry here for no extra charge.

I live on the premises and can be available if needed for vet/farrier visits - but my policy is that DIY means DIY and I don't like to be dealing with other people's horses especially youngsters which is what hers is.

Hacking is mainly road-work, better country accessible by either hacking (3 hrs round trip) or boxing out.

Currently livery pays £80 p.c.m. for her two. This is in East Devon.

Hope this helps.

Visit site
I pay £15 a week per pony and have 2 that have the run of 170 acres woth trees for shetler, a couple of streams running through it, plenty of grass and the yo checks them over twice a day when they head off to deal with the cows and sheep that they are in with. They hear the quad and go running as they usually get a carrot from it lol! They are currently roughed off for the winter so no riding or grooming et al although I could use the outdoor school if I wished. If I needed a stable for an emergency/farrier visit et al then I can borrow the YO's but I dont have one of my own. They are also in the backside of nowhere on a hill. They can be seen from the house 90% of the time.

I go up everyday to check them - some days I find them, others I don't but I don't worry about them as I know they have already been checked at least once that day. Its the Fell Pony and the Welsh Cob out there who both grew up in their respective native lands so aren't fussed by their terrain. Suits them, suits me!

Tern

Visit site
I'm not on it but the yard I help at is
45 a week.

-Use of all facilities including 60 x 60 outdoor arena 40 x 60 indoor arena to 8.00, including use of lights, ( supplement for lights after 8.00 in winter months)
-Farm hacking
-Cross country course (use only permitted with instructional supervision).
-Local road and off road hacking is also excellent.
-Group turnout with mares/ geldings/ ponies.
-Hay through winter when in and in field ( not haylage).
-Hard food November to March ( available outside this time – costs on requirements).
-No stable included.

turnbuckle

Visit site
£15 a week - 1 1/2 acre paddock while the cattle are out (he's very greedy so needs hay, not included, from mid-summer on). Water in field. Haylage would be included if I wanted it. 10 acres during the winter with bags of grass but I give hay in any case. Stable for feeding and tacking up - could move him in if I wanted to, straw included, feed room, parking for lorry, use of loader for moving stuff around......and all sorts of help with a smile when needed! Most fencing sorted but I do the odd bit as well. Quite lucky I guess.

tangoharvey

Visit site
17 quid per week, use if floodlit sand arena, 180 acres rotated mixed herd. YO checks fields daily and let's you know if there's a problem. The only task liveries are asked to help with is ragworting, cold cider is provided!!! But it's always the same people who help out which can be a bit annoying!

SO1

Visit site
I think what to expect varies from yard to yard, normally grass livery is very DIY, there are not many full grass livery options. The only expectation that I would have was that the horse would be able to live out all year round.

When I was on grass livery

Yard 1

Was £40 a week and also a riding school. Was £40 a week and had indoor school again DIY but lots of services available. Own stable, they were responsible for fencing, ragwort removal, no poo picking. In the winter it was an extra £3 a day for hay. I was only there for about 7 months it was really nice but did not suit my pony.

Yard 2

it was £33 a week and included use of school, tack room, feed room. Use of a stable for tacking up/feeding/box rest etc.

YO was responsible for fencing but no poo picking so if you wanted fields poo picked you did it yourself and it was optional. YO put out hay in winter when needed but you paid extra for that £1 a day. Ragwort removal was done optional as well though YO would do a bit if it looked like the liveries were not keeping it under control.

YO normally did normally go and check the horses during the day but very much a DIY yard and I would not have expected her to check the horses or be responsible for noticing if anything was wrong.

Gleeful Imp

Visit site
Mine is slightly different as retirement grass livery - so no use of facilities but stabing available in case of a poorly. £110 per calender month, daily checks, rug changes when needed, fencing in very good repair and excellent fields and grazing.

Pay extra for holding for the farrier, worming etc but charges very reasonable. Very good service and two happy hairy horses (although I'm not overly happy about having to retire two of them, but thems the breaks with horses).

kc100

Visit site
£20 per week for field with fencing maintained by YO. No need for poo picking as they are properly rotated paddocks for winter/summer. Huge outdoor school to use (although horse is only 1 so I dont use yet!), indoor barn stabling with plenty of areas to tie up, groom, wash etc. Wormer extra, farrier extra, feed & hay extra if required (not yet for baby horse), bring in/turn out extra....but generally YO just gets on with it when baby horse needs something doing and then just sticks it on my bill for me so my monthly bill can sometimes get up to around £120 if he's had his feet trimmed, wormer, brought in/turned out for farrier etc.

Fab friendly yard with 30+ other horses so he has lots of company (although only another 2 horses live out 24/7, the rest are stabled), and when he grows up lots of off-road hacking to enjoy as well. Wouldnt dream of moving him! Although when he gets to 3 I think I'll get a stable for him at the same yard (might have to put my name down on the waiting list now!) as my work hours mean riding him once backed will only be possible late PM and its not much fun for anyone dragging them in and out of the field in pitch black!