Grass livery?

Cob Life

Visit site
What could I be expecting to pay for grass livery in a herd with no facilities on site?
I know it can vary but one place was charging £185 a month is this average?

Ideally with someone to just look at them and tell me they have all 4 feet still on the mornings of the 3 days I work early (I'd still go evenings)

Lintel

Visit site
All very factor dependant and area dependant. Which area are you in OP?

Grass livery round here can range from £50 a month to £200 a month!

Lintel

Visit site
Maybe posting in the local forum would be helpful with your location? On average I would say for half decent 'fenced' grass livery round my way Central Scotland is about £80-100pcm

Cob Life

Visit site
Maybe posting in the local forum would be helpful with your location? On average I would say for half decent 'fenced' grass livery round my way Central Scotland is about £80-100pcm

That's sort of what I was expecting as the yard closest to me does DIY (arena use, individual turnout and washing bays) for £140 but I want grass livery in a herd

chaps89

Visit site
The thing is, grass livery done well is likely to still be expensive.
Owners will still need storage, be likely to use facilities/electric/water, there's likely to still be muck removal to cover, shelters in the field, fields will probably require more maintenance and so on.
That's not to say all those things happen on a grass livery yard, but just to explain why it isn't always the cheap option.
Personally I've paid £30, £65, £100, £180 and £220 a month for grass livery in the south east. Unsurprisingly, what I got for my money varied alot too!
'Full' grass livery where checks are included tends to be more around the £3/400 pcm mark round here

Cob Life

Visit site
The thing is, grass livery done well is likely to still be expensive.
Owners will still need storage, be likely to use facilities/electric/water, there's likely to still be muck removal to cover, shelters in the field, fields will probably require more maintenance and so on.
That's not to say all those things happen on a grass livery yard, but just to explain why it isn't always the cheap option.
Personally I've paid £30, £65, £100, £180 and £220 a month for grass livery in the south east. Unsurprisingly, what I got for my money varied alot too!
'Full' grass livery where checks are included tends to be more around the £3/400 pcm mark round here

I want something quite basic, I wouldn't mind DIY if it ends up cheaper but herd turnout daily (including winter) is a must for me.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I'm in Shropshire and pay £65 per horse per calendar month (£20pcm for the Mini). My friend and I rent it between us and have 2 large fields that can each be split in half, totalling 8 acres.
Each block of 2 fields has a large field shelter. All have automatic water troughs. We supply the electric fencing. We have a shed for storage. No other facilities or water/electric. Landlord delivers massive bales of hay to us in winter as needed.

Cob Life

Visit site
I'm in Shropshire and pay £65 per horse per calendar month (£20pcm for the Mini). My friend and I rent it between us and have 2 large fields that can each be split in half, totalling 8 acres.
Each block of 2 fields has a large field shelter. All have automatic water troughs. We supply the electric fencing. We have a shed for storage. No other facilities or water/electric. Landlord delivers massive bales of hay to us in winter as needed.
This would be my other option as I know someone who would rent me a field (for a lower than average rate) but I'd either have to find a friend to share with or get a companion on loan

tankgirl1

Visit site
My mare was on grass livery 4 years ago in Derbyshire for £25/week. Included daily check and waters filling by YO, use of a small shed for storage and a stable available for emergencies

Cob Life

Visit site
Thank you everyone!

I've not got anything yet but I want to start setting aside roughly how much I'd be spending each month so I've got some savings. I've got my eye on one but she's not for sale (but may be in the future)

Cob Life

Visit site
I know somewhere in Sewell (near Dunstable). Is that too far? I think its £15/week - you made need to pay very little extra to check your horse is still standing 3 days a week.
That's too far unfortunately.
I may not need the morning help but there are a few days a year when I start work at 4:00am so it would be good to have the option there

Smiffypig

Visit site
We pay per acre per month - works out at £300 a month, but we have sole use of 4.5 acre field with shelter (3 stables) and storage.

you can’t use the stables as stables unless emergency (colic, hopping lame etc) as our field is too far from the main yard for the staff to keep an ear out if anything goes wrong.

included in that is 1000 acres plus off road hacking, access to cross country course and indoor and outdoor schools.

field maintenance is extra - as in topping, sweeping and spraying but you just email your order in and it magically happens.

we just have to supply electric but it’s all pre-wires with lights etc you just have to bring a battery

automatic drinkers in the paddocks as well.

honestly it’s amazing and I’m so lucky it’s as close as it is to us, it’s like having your own mini yard with the convenience of being on a livery yard (there is a main yard on site with 100 horse plus on it)

TheHairyOne

Visit site
Honestly wasn’t aware such things still even existed. Firstly grass livery secondly herd turnout.

I pay £115 a month for grass + herd turn out + 40×60 school + yard with hard standing a tie ups + secure storage + water + great private hacking (inc some xc fences).

Dont have electric which is the biggest downside, but other than not jumping during the week in the winter its not that much of a bother, I just ride in the dark and do everything else with rechargable LED lights.

Given where I am I think this is pretty good!

Where I was before had electric + a stable in addition to the above, but a much much smaller school for £135 a month.

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
I’m in Buckinghamshire and pay £80 month they get looked over to see they are standing and other liveries go daily (I go once a week) there is a school and great hacking but I don’t use these

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I pay £115 a month for grass + herd turn out + 40×60 school + yard with hard standing a tie ups + secure storage + water + great private hacking (inc some xc fences).

Dont have electric which is the biggest downside, but other than not jumping during the week in the winter its not that much of a bother, I just ride in the dark and do everything else with rechargable LED lights.

Given where I am I think this is pretty good!

Where I was before had electric + a stable in addition to the above, but a much much smaller school for £135 a month.
That sounds amazing! Before moving to a farm with o/h work I’d have killed to find somewhere like that.
Where I am it’s all tiny fields and restricted turnout