Grass Nuts v Alfalfa Pellets

StickyToffee

Visit site
I have been feeding my elderly mare alfalfa pellets, but my feed merchant delivered friendship estates grass nuts instead and said they were the same as Dengie Alfalfa Pellets which I normally buy. I can't find any information on the sugar/starch content of them, does anyone know if they are considerably higher than the alfalfa?

sueonmull

Visit site
I didn't know Friendship Estates did grass nuts, just checked and couldn't see grass nuts on their website either perhaps it's something new. Does it say anything at all on the side of the bag confirming it contains alfalfa? I'd be very unhappy making any sudden changes to a horse's feed and pretty miffed with my feed merchant making a decision to supply an alternative product without speaking to me first. I'd give Friendship Estates a call or email them and they should be able to supply whatever information you need to decide if it will be suitable for your mare.

Milkmaid

Visit site
As one is Alfalfa & one pure grass (with no available declaration that I can find) then completely different, & no, I wouldn't risk it.
Simple Systems do a range of Alfalfa products with different D.E, protein levels etc might be worth you looking into them.

TheMule

Visit site
Sugar level is much higher in grass nuts, protein slightly lower and fibre about the same. I wouldnt feed to a sugar- sensitive horse

StickyToffee

Visit site
Thanks for your replies, she is sugar sensitive so would prefer not to feed grass nuts. Called the feed merchant and he apologised and agreed to come back with the alfalfa pellets as ordered!