Grass seeds

Chuffy99

Visit site
Having another of my much loved spaniels having 4 hrs surgery today, has lost part of both her lungs and the removal of grass seed abscess on her oesophagus I wonder am I just very unlucky or is there something I'm missing. This is the third inhaled grass seed abscess , 2 this year, the vets fees are an eye watering £26000, just don't know what to do to avoid a repeat

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Goodness! I have to say that I have never heard of that condition before but I did have a Lab who was allergic to grass seeds, which irritated her skin quite seriously. The only way to avoid it was to keep her out of the long grass at this time of the year.

Bellasophia

Visit site
How very worrying...I hope she's ok. I hope you are insured..gulp,that's a lot of money.
For the future either avoid the long grass as suggested above or consider a basket muzzle,lined with a fine muslin to act as a barrier to the seeds.I would sew this in to the muzzle so it can't shift or irritate the dog.
I'd consider the latter as your dog would miss out on so much if she could not run in the fields...this would give her protection whilst keeping her happy.