Grass sickness?

Lill

Visit site
(Sorry should be in vets!)

What are the signs/symptoms?

How do they get it?

Have heard of a fair few dying from it this year?

(Don't know a huge amount about it really!)

Law

Visit site
The first thing I could find so not very easy to read...

THE CLINICAL PRESENTATION OF GRASS SICKNESS
Dr. Scott Pirie - Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies, University of Edinburgh

Summary of the clinical signs of grass sickness, associated with the three forms of the disease
ACUTE SUBACUTE CHRONIC

* Depression/somnolence
* Distended abdomen
* Ileus (absence of gut sounds)
* Tachycardia (high heart rate)
* Salivation
* Gastric reflux
* Muscle tremors
* Ptosis (drooping eyelids)
* Patchy/generalised sweating
* Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing)
* Small intestinal distension
* Colic (occasionally)
* Colon impactions (occasionally)

* "Tucked up" abdomen
* Weight loss
* Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing)
* Tachycardia
* Colic (as disease progresses)
* Gastric reflux (as disease progresses)
* Patchy sweating
* Muscle tremors
* Colon impaction
* Reduced gut motility
* Rhinitis sicca (dried and inflamed nasal passages)

* Severe weight loss
* Markedly "tucked up" abdomen
* Base narrow stance
* Rhinitis sicca (inflamed nasal passages)
* Slightly elevated heart rate (< 60 bpm usually)
* Muscle tremors
* Patchy sweating
* Mild colic

I think I caught my horse with early symptoms once- he came in from the field bloated, stood completely transfixed staring into space having convulsions/muscle tremors at the back of the box for 35 mins. I took him down the arena walked and trotted him around, he passed lots of poos and then went back to normal thank god, I can't tell you how worried I was
frown.gif

_OC_

Visit site
Check out Your Horse Mag they have a article in this months....this is a terrible way for a horse to get this, about 20 years ago a friends horse got it and sadly died within 7 days I found it in the field and it seemed like it was having a colic attack and I called the owner and the vet it took him 48 hours to work out what was going on, I remember just watching it waste away in it's stable and the man who owned it slept with it the horse was a young Arab filly they say any horse can get it,however, it does effect horses up to 7 years more and any breed is prone!

harrihjc

Visit site
I was thinking about asking this earlier, grass sickness is not something I have ever come across before (thank god, hope I never do!) and was wondering about cause and symptoms, thanks Lis and Law

luie123

Visit site
My horse died fom acute GS. 1st sympton was didnt want to eat, didnt go to the toilet, he was put down less than 24 hours later. Its a terrible disease, and sadle we dont really know what causes it.

_OC_

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Having just read about Dermot, please don't post any horrible stories on this thread, as there is a possibility Dermot may have grass sickness, and it would be very upsetting for FMN to read. I hope you all don't mind me saying this..

.....Oh My God...sorry I did not know, I did not want to worry anyone or upset anybody TBH this incident happened along time ago and in the veterinary world things have become so advanced now!

K9Wendy

Visit site
We all openly share our experiences on illness and accidents and it is so greatly appreciated by everyone, we all get so much out of sharing information.. It is not a bad thing at all, I just saw FMN's post and this one and thought it would be awful for her reading a post on GS just at this time.. Let's hope that Dermot does not have this..

zizz

Visit site
don't give up hope, my gelding got chronic grass sickness as a five year old and pulled through, so positive vibes to FMN that dermot gets well again and doesn't contract grass sickness.