Grassroots BE course suggestions

Roxylola

Visit site
We are located in Manchester so easy motorway access to lots of places.
Supercob is a champ, but time is going to be an issue for him so I want to maximise our chances by selecting good venues.
He liked the openness of Kelsall although he was over time he kept going - so he can do hills but we'd like to avoid if possible, he did not like Eland - too twisty and tight in the trees he backed right off a few times there.
I'm quite happy to go unaffiliated to "harder" venues, but its a lot of money to get a good dressage score and still be mid div because of time! (Assuming we don't get E'd at the first fence/in the showjumping etc)
So all things being equal, I'd like to do some BE 80s possibly even 90 this year, but I want to maximise his chances of being as super as he deserves to be.
So my shortlist of places near enough to be possible includes
Bold Heath,
Kelsall,
Somerford,
Breckenborough,
Skipton,
Llanymynech
Northallerton
We will likely do eland and chomondleigh unaffiliated
Any suggestions what might be good venues? Open to other suggestions- the above are just ones I know that we can get to ok.
Also open to suggestions for unaffiliated venues, or good training venues (ideally like eland where you can gauge the fence heights)
Thanks ?

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
So I haven't done 80s at any of these, but have done some 90s.

Bold - haven't done it, but it will be on flat fields, no risk of hills. Not a big atmosphere, SJ on a surface.
Kelsall you've been to - doesn't work for mine as he finds the layout a bit nappy creating - but lovely courses
Somerford - big atmosphere, courses will usually be top end of the level but beautifully built - some short steep hills - SJ on a surface
Breckenborough - not been myself but intending to start the season there if it runs
Skipton - not been here either, but told it is hilly
Llanymynech - flat and lovely open course. Really nice event, everything on grass. When I did the 90 it was straightforward. SJ arena is huuuuge too.
Northallerton - SJ on a surface, low-key event, have only done the 100/105 there, but they were straightforward courses and I doubt anything nasty in the 80/90 - also on very flat ground.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Oh and you asked for recommendations too -

Frickley Park - near Doncaster - stunning parkland, great atmosphere, all on grass, really well presented courses that always have a few good questions, Top notch event.
Solihull - easy trip down the M6. Surface for SJ, straightforward and flat XC. Ideal 'step up' type event.
Bradwall - doesn't run at 80, but is a super event. All on grass and can get quite wet (although mine loves mud, so works for me!)
Warwick Hall - don't be put off by the distance - it is an extremely straightforward run up the M6. Great going, flat ground with loads of grass cover, by a river so won't be rock hard even when everywhere else is. Beautiful setting - all on grass. SJ is usually built very up to height.

Last edited:

Roxylola

Visit site
Ooh this is helpful thanks. I'm not hugely worried about the courses flat and open is what we need and sj on a surface is a huge bonus

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Ooh this is helpful thanks. I'm not hugely worried about the courses flat and open is what we need and sj on a surface is a huge bonus

A lot is on a surface for SJ up here. Which is a shame because my bog hopper much prefers grass! Based on your preferences I'd say that Solihull and Northallerton would suit really well - and probably Bold too. If you're happy to contend with grass SJ, then Llanymynech and Warwick Hall are really nice open tracks on flat land with great grass cover.

Asha

Visit site
Out of the ones youve mentioned we found llanymynech the most inviting. Its almost a nice step up from unaffiliated. the SJ course is usually a bit easier too.

You then have smallwood for unaffiliated, they do a few 90s over the year.

Somerford is also a nice inviting course,but does have more atmosphere

Eland is another which is worth doing as its a lovely course,and you can do both unaffialited and BE

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Somerford is HUGE. And it takes in the farm ride. Quite a lot of galloping stretches. Not one to make the time on if it's tight.

I can also recmmend:
Aston Le Walls. Probably the easiest I've done. Not too hilly. Not too twisty. SJ on surface.
Speetley: Also quite nice. Flattish. SJ on surface
Stafford: Lovely. Solid enough but a lovely open course
IIRC Solihull is also on a surface for SJ

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I know you said Supercob was not a fan of Eland, but for anyone esle looking at this thread: Eland is very hilly and I think some of the fences are unfair for the level in the unaffiliated classes. The BE course is better but built to the max allowed. Unaff is built harder than allowed BE.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I know you said Supercob was not a fan of Eland, but for anyone esle looking at this thread: Eland is very hilly and I think some of the fences are unfair for the level in the unaffiliated classes. The BE course is better but built to the max allowed. Unaff is built harder than allowed BE.

I've always used Eland as a nice easy step up at 100 level. I haven't seen the unaffiliated tracks though.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
The trailer which is in the BE100 is in the unaff 90.
The Newborough leap and the drop hedge (or step up hedge - depending on which way you are jumping) which is in the BE90 is in the unaff 80.
The broken bridge is in the Unaff 90. Not even sure it's in the BE100!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
The trailer which is in the BE100 is in the unaff 90.
The Newborough leap and the drop hedge (or step up hedge - depending on which way you are jumping) which is in the BE90 is in the unaff 80.
The broken bridge is in the Unaff 90. Not even sure it's in the BE100!

One of many reasons why I just don't do unaffiliated. In my old area, Isleham BE was always a great track - but the pony club 1m course there once included the intermediate water fence - nuts!!!!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
One of many reasons why I just don't do unaffiliated. In my old area, Isleham BE was always a great track - but the pony club 1m course there once included the intermediate water fence - nuts!!!!

Me neither. I like Eland but the broken bridge in particular is just not fair at the level in my view. The unaff 50 had the Newborough Leap in it which was 70cm including 20cm of brush. As the only people doing 50 are younger kids, nervous or novice folk or people introducing young horses to XC, - why put in a 70cm hedge with a ditch in front of it!

Cragrat

Visit site
Just to add,
Breckenbrough is pretty flat xc - just a gentle rise, and and is a nice flowing course. SJ on top of a grassy hill - can be slippy
Northallerton 80 and 90 are very nice and straighforward - ground can get rock hard on the first and last parts, but good once out in the country.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Agree Llany is lovely and on my list for this season!

Frickley she found intimidating but it was her first BE, we’ll just not talk about Skipton ??‍♀️. Chomondley is local’ish but big, or it looked it on walking it.

I’m hoping for Stafford and Bold, plus really hoping to get to Smallwood!

Roxylola

Visit site
I liked eland for training just the nature of it didn't suit him at all. I know smallwood for some reason but not as a comp venue - might have done an exam there once upon a time.
This is all super helpful guys, thanks. Bold are going to start their arena eventing again in April- I think we'll try some 90s at that and maybe do their 90 BE - I suspected it might be a flat course there!
Its tricky, I prefer low key events really - supercob doesn't mind especially, and I think my owner would like something like somerford ?
I thought he would nap at the start at kelsall but he never bothered. I do have to watch hes on my aids but once he is hes generally fine.
He can and does sj on grass, hes cautious of himself if he doesn't trust the surface though and being a big lad I think if it got a bit churned up or slippery it would really throw him off so I won't rule a venue out on that basis, but I'd have to assess on the day