Grazing a PPID horse

outdoor girl

Visit site
Now I'm well on the way (I hope) to finding a suitable and non rubbing muzzle, I need to sort out which grass is suitable for her to eat. I'm really confused about is the long and old grass best or is the short well eaten down grass best. Can I turn her out without a muzzle onto grass which has been grazed to about 2 inches long or does she still need one? Can she go out onto really long grass where she has to battle through it to reach the newer stuff? This is so hard to work out and I have to admit that I'm a bit scared of doing the wrong thing and her getting lammi again. I really want to do the best for my mate. Thanks you lovely bunch.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
If she is taking Prascend and is established on it, she will be in no greater danger of getting laminitis than any other horse. If she were mine I would put her on the long grass without a muzzle but strip grazing to save the grass from being walked down and rendered inedible.

zandp

Visit site
The type of grass is important - i.e. what grasses are in the field, long grass is preferable and no rye grass, or minimal rye grass is what works for mine.

She was out for 3 months on a field that was about waist high, unfertilised mixed meadow some years ago as I moved to a yard who forgot to put my stables up and she was the healthiest she's been. Levels are controlled with Prascend.