Grazing land to rent how much should we offer per acre?

sadiedeb

Visit site
Can I pick your lovely horsey minded brains please - we're having to bid in for grazing license of field which is just over 5 acres (split into two fields)- in Hampshire, no lighting, very difficult access (only made easier for us as we hire the paddock that leads onto it rather than entering via a main rain into small part of field then through another gate across muddy footpath over a wooden bridge into rest of field) but don't really know what to offer - help please
:eek:

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Is it just seasonal use allowed or is it all year use as you want licence?

Assuming the latter, then maybe £100 a month? Assuming there's some fencing there?

Watch out for the footpath bit, crossing might be deemed as using which of course horses aren't allowed to strictly so try to make sure no deep hoofprints / gouges if you have any militant walkers around...

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I should have said the £100 was in total, have realised you asked per acre.

Well that's what I would pay, I would want a get out clause tho re the footpath, if you were stopped from getting access then I would want to be able to cancel the agreement with shortish notice period.

debsandpets

Visit site
I am in the midlands and rent approx 11 acres of very poor quality grazing (but it is in my village and it suits my sheep, pigs and horses needs) apart from the fact there are NO FACILITES at all ie no running water, shelter, electric absolutely nothing, and had to put up my own fencing on the road side of the field (permanent electric fence).
I pay £240 per month for the land, not sure if that helps or not though ...........

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Im in Gloucestershire and I rent approx. 4 acres with water but nothing else for £100 pcm. I then also rent a paddock probably 1.5 acres for £40 which has no water supply but is literally across a tiny lane from the first so not a problem.

My partner was telling me yesterday about a farm they are looking to put in a bid for (they farm arable but it includes pasture) Being arable farmers they had a good idea what that side was worth too them but have been informed the pasture is only worth £40 per acre per annum??!! Really?
I need some of this!

sadiedeb

Visit site
Think that's why council don't want to give guide price as had been rented by farmer as was paying something silly like 500 for the lot per year - but now they are aiming it to horsey people and want to "test the market" we were paying 1200 from the farmer subletting (not realising he wasn't allowed to do this) - but have no idea what to go for now - we're in hampshire - thing is the land is opp my house and backs onto my friends property so we really want the field

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Im in Gloucestershire and I rent approx. 4 acres with water but nothing else for £100 pcm. I then also rent a paddock probably 1.5 acres for £40 which has no water supply but is literally across a tiny lane from the first so not a problem.

My partner was telling me yesterday about a farm they are looking to put in a bid for (they farm arable but it includes pasture) Being arable farmers they had a good idea what that side was worth too them but have been informed the pasture is only worth £40 per acre per annum??!! Really?
I need some of this!

Bigger quantities of land are a lot cheaper per acre, the same as if you buy stuff in bulk. Horse sized plots are always approx twice the cost per ac because of the competition.

sadiedeb

Visit site
Bigger quantities of land are a lot cheaper per acre, the same as if you buy stuff in bulk. Horse sized plots are always approx twice the cost per ac because of the competition.

That makes sense and clears it up wondered why that was case - thank you. They've also got another field 18 acres just up from this one which at moment putting as grazing for sheep/cattle but would consider changing license

cobden99

Visit site
I used to pay £600 a year for 1.25 acres and £1500 a year for 5 acres. Both good access but no facilities at all and poor grazing ( which suited me at the time). Anything with poor access would put me off tbh.

sadiedeb

Visit site
I used to pay £600 a year for 1.25 acres and £1500 a year for 5 acres. Both good access but no facilities at all and poor grazing ( which suited me at the time). Anything with poor access would put me off tbh.

I think it's bad access as the gate is on a road (which can be fairly busy) so if you had a horsebox/trailer you would have to park on road to unload

windand rain

Visit site
I paid 70 per calender month for 7 acres with a hedge and water we fenced it safely before we rented it and divided it with our own electric fencing

HardySoul1

Visit site
If you are submitting a sealed bid make sure you offer an odd amount, not a round figure. That's how I got mine, by slightly outbidding the nearest bid!
Offer as much as you can realistically afford without feeling ripped off. Consider how you would feel seeing someone else using the field everyday if they bid more, but try to keep offer sensible.