Grazing mares and gelding together

HashRouge

Visit site
Nobody else here got a right trollop of a mare then? Ours is a relentless s*x pest and winds the otherwise dormant geldings up to distraction!
Mine used to be horrendous, but weirdly she never has been with my gelding, even when they were first together and she was quite a bit younger. I always used to joke it's because he's not masculine enough! She's ancient now, and seasons seem to be a thing of the past thank goodness!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
My old boy is definitely not a rig but he did become obsessed with a mare his was turned out with. There were also two other geldings in the group. His behaviour towards her was fine albeit simpering but he turned into a total a-hole to handle and ride. He’d just moved yards so maybe it was an attachment/ separation anxiety issue. I had to have them separated.

He’s also tried to be mean to mares I’ve ridden with and I have to watch him. I wouldn’t choose to turn him out in a mixed herd now.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
We have only ever had mares and they are never marish and we never see them in season. We have the opportunity to buy a gelding and just wondering if him being in with the mares are likely to make them more marish. Has anyone any experience of doing this and the mares turning into raging tarts?
We always had mixed - they got on fine. We then separated them . Ended up with more issues than before. So we have gone back to mixed - a who gets on with who mixture.

Trouble is on a small yard like this if you get too many liveries of the same sex - you then have to turn liveries away and say " sorry we cannot take any more geldings, only mares" Then I end up with 4 empty stables for months - less income. So not worth it now..........................

maya2008

Visit site
We did just that - put one new gelding in with an established herd of mares. Worked like a dream. To his credit, he is sweet and laid back anyway, but he has really improved the herd dynamics - he will literally stand between two of the mares if they are arguing and there has been much more peace and fewer girly spats since his arrival.