Grazing muzzle for draft

The Trooper

Visit site
Hi guys, looking for advice about a grazing muzzle for me draft x Belle.

I need to restrict her grass intake as part of her weight management but I am struggling to find a muzzle to fit and I'm getting very mixed reviews on the 2 possibles I have found.

I have tried an off the shelf extra full (protack I think?) And it didn't fit, no where near it infact.

Do you guys have any opinions on either of the below and if not what do you use and to how much success?

Green guard grazing muzzle.

Best friend grazing muzzle.

At the moment I'm more inclined for the best friend but looking for as many opinions and views and possible about fit, durability, size, rubbing etc.

Thanks all.received_448913525898266.jpeg

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
greenguards you do have to be careful how they are using them as they can enamel wear. Can't help on draft fit though, I think Aus has one on Alf, will give her a shout.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I like the Best Friends muzzles, the have a heart one has an extendable nose strap-they are well made and quite restrictive. you can get spare parts for them as well -which is good as the muzzles are quite pricey.

another style that has a big bit around the nose is the Kramer one-you do have to be a bit inventive with those though.

I dont know about them fitting a draft-I just have ponies with huge heads.

The Trooper

Visit site
I like the Best Friends muzzles, the have a heart one has an extendable nose strap-they are well made and quite restrictive. you can get spare parts for them as well -which is good as the muzzles are quite pricey.

another style that has a big bit around the nose is the Kramer one-you do have to be a bit inventive with those though.

I dont know about them fitting a draft-I just have ponies with huge heads.

Thanks you MoC, I'm leaning towards the best friend one, the green gaurd looks a little less friendly? 😂

Auslander

Visit site
I have Greenguards - but not for Alf. He doesn't need a muzzle, and would be mortified if I made him wear one!
The greenguards are better than standard muzzles for not rubbing, but I only use them when I absolutely have to, as I'm not keen on muzzling in general. My fatties go in the pen on soaked hay if they start inflating

SeptemberRain

Visit site
My cob is in a best friends. I got the one that's just the muzzle part that attaches to his headcollar. He's a fairly chunky cob and I've got him in large horse size which is a bit too big for him but he prefers a more roomy muzzle. Slight rubbing but quite possibly due to it being a bit too big. No broken skin though, just a bit of hair lost. My previous best friends muzzle last a couple of years from memory. He's now on his second as the rubber eventually got worn away. Horse is happy to have it put on, manages to eat in it, all round very happy with it.

The Trooper

Visit site
I'm thinking best friend now for the following reasons...

They have a specific draft size
They have spare parts available
There are 'upgrades' such as fleece lining etc to make it more comfortable.

I know it's a pricey muzzle but if i can get a year out of it i'll be happy. I'm desperate to get weight off this horse to, in effect save her life.