grazing muzzle

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
just wondered if there is a way to keep this on

my welsh a goes up to fence or heras fence and gets it off she has even got it caught and pulled hearas over.

i tried keeping a headcollar on top and doing it so tight she cant get it off but she does :(

Nari

Visit site
I found taking a chunk of mane over the strap behind the ears & plaiting it into the forelock foiled my welsh cob. He threw quite a tanty when he realised he couldn't get it off!

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
You need to buy a greenguard headcollar and use the centre strap and extra throat lash, attach this to your muzzle and your pony shouldn't be able to get the muzzle off anymore, see pics for an idea of what I mean, my horse rarely gets his off. You need to do the throat lash quite tight but not too tight to choke, hope it helps

muzzle006.jpg

muzzle001.jpg

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
I tried the greenguard muzzle on mine and he hated it, hence using the parts I needed on the shires one

GingerCat

Visit site
Mine also hated the greenguard muzzle and despiter being correctly fitted, rubbed his lips raw :mad:

He now wears a 'Dinky' muzzle, they go up to Xtra large and he doesn't even try to get it off.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
can you both let me know what they didnt like about the green guard so i can think if this si the same reason bicky hates it

GingerCat

Visit site
can you both let me know what they didnt like about the green guard so i can think if this si the same reason bicky hates it

My boy hated it because it took the skin off his lips, they actually bled! he only had it on for about an hour :mad:
I had made sure that I followed the fitting instructions to the letter.

He wasn't too impressed with the Dinky one at first either, but it hasn't rubbed at all and he wears it happily now.

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
He was used to the shires one but I thought I'd try the greenguard one as it was more open. They are very expensive just to try ! I got mine off ebay and sold it on there too. I just watched my horse and he was not happy, wasn't comfortable and it rubbed his nose and lips and he was shaking his head, with the shires one he happily grazes with it and sometimes doesn't want to come in he's enjoying himself so much lol it was a case of don't fix what aint broke, he's used the shires one for about 4 years, he's 32 now, got lami few years back mildly, not from being overweight, not sure really, why he got it, he's exercised nearly every day on a high fibre diet etc

Last edited:

KillarneyISH

Visit site
NoisyGirl - I have a Houdini horse, with a very talented pasture mate, who jointly can get anything off my horse even if it requires ripping the straps. I am very interested in what you did to modify your muzzle in these pictures, and wonder if you could describe for me exactly what you did. I most recently tried sewing the grazing muzzle to a Miracle cribbing collar. I found the grazing muzzle about ten feet from the gate. The cribbing collar was still on my horse.

If anyone else has any successful ideas that have defeated pasture mate partners in crime, please let me know.

elsielouise

Visit site
Houdini pony can't get hers off if I plait it in and use duct tape on the plait. If I band it in the plait loosens when she rubs it and she can get it off.

Have also found bare ish paddock for a few hours minus muzzle then muzzle on makes her keen to eat rather than rub muzzle straight away and she seems to forget about it once she's had it on for a few hours. Also minimises rubbing.

Have had to electrify bare paddock direct to National Grid to stop her charging through the tape

SO1

Visit site
In the photo of the pink muzzle I think part of the problem may be that have not got the throat lash part of the muzzle high up enough it needs to go into throat grove and be quite tight as well this may help keep it on.

monstermunch

Visit site
I started with the shires bucket muzzle but my mare quickly learnt that she could easily get this off over her years. I ended up buying the greenguard head collar. I then cut all the straps off the bucket muzzle and attached the bucket muzzle with straps (like flash straps), the the d rings on the greenguard head collar. Bingo. A horse that can no longer get her muzzle off. My friend does it this way as well and it is the only way she keeps her horses muzzle on.
I did not opt for the actual green guard muzzle as it had very bad reviews so just adapted the nicer bucket muzzle. :)