grazing muzzles and grass bellies

thinlizzy

Visit site
my horse has put on so much weight a grass belly yet girth still goes on same hole ive never known him go so huge i have bought a muzzle and let him wear it in the stable for twenty minutes unfortunatly i cant ride him as much as i can due to personal circumstances, so idea is to muzzle him rather than stable him hes only young how has everyone found them , any tips , etc in general how long does your horse wear one , does it help , etc does anyone else find there horses belly has gone big but not the girth needs letting out thanks any feedback would be great

finnywinny

www.earthwisegardens.com
My girly is a really good do-er and its our first summer together so I was living in fear of how I would manage her weight - both my horses live out 24/7 all year and Iwasn't looking forward to keeping her in a stable during some of the summer months.

SO....I thought I'd try a grazing muzzle. After researching inspecting many i decided on the Dinky Ponies verson as it is softer than many others and has lots of fleecey bits. Long story shorts its been a total success.

I think you have to see how your horse reacts to them first - mine was amazingly cool and unstressed by it and she didn't even try to get rid of it (amazing - I was expecting real tantrums) so after about a week I felt safe to leave it on all day and let her graze freely at night.

The real thing to watch out for, as well as tantrums/stress/sulks etc is if it rubs anywhere - i've heard of stories of muzzles rubbing horses noses or chins raw very quickly. mine only rubbed tiny bit under her chin so I cut a strip of fleece and sewed it in place, now all healed and totally fine.

There seems to be debate on how long its safe to leave on for. If you have some poor grazing that your horse can go on when muzzle free then perhaps just wearing it during the day is enough. I leave my girl free ranging around the yard with a bucket of hay and later a bucket of low calorie chaff plus vits and supplements to keep her going for about 5 hours, then back out on grass with or without muzzle depending on how the belly/weight is doing. Each day is slightly different depending on how much grass there is in her restricted paddock - the dry weather has helped to keep it down.

I think the main thing is to be sensible and keep taking stock on how your horse is doing on a daily/weekly basis. But I must admit that my grazing muzzle is my no 1 fav bit of kit at the moment - happier horse and no mucking out for me!!

hope this helps a bit x

the watcher

Visit site
I have used a muzzle for years and currently have two mares muzzled. They come in for a few hours to soaked hay to get a break but are never turned out without a muzzle. This means they can be out with their budddies in the same paddock, not restricted to a bare, stressed, starvation paddock.

This regime will continue to about November when they may get two or three months off the muzzles.

For lifting their bellies and giving them a good shape, nothing beats exercise..lunging if time is too short for ridden work

hayinamanger

Visit site
I recently bought a muzzle. Tried it on one horse first. He was calm enough, but didn't try very hard to eat with it on, think he just thought it was impossible. But still put him out in it for a few hours a day so that he could at least get some exercise running around with his pals. Yesterday he broke it, it's now unusable, he's back in bare paddock :(

kylie88

Visit site
Hi,

A muzzle is the best thing ive done for my fat haffy! Agree with finnywinny Dinky rugs one is by far the best I found, he hated the shires one! He also doesn't get it off and believe you me if he could he would.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I think I'm going to invest in a Dinky Ponies grazing muzzle. I've got a Shires one but despite me sewing sheepskin into it, it has rubbed sore patches under his jaw and around his nose so have given up with it. My ideal would be that my horse is off the grass during the day with soaked hay and then muzzled overnight in the field with his friends.

Chestnut mare

Visit site
I've got the dinky muzzle had it on for a couple of months but hasn't rubbed at all. She lives out 24/7 and has the muzzle on 8 hours a day. Although she has still not learnt to eat with it and stands sulking at the gate.

Pharphar!

Visit site
HIJACK SORRY!! i'm new to the muzzle malarky too! my TB (yes a full TB much to my vet and farriers surprise!!) has whacked on so much weight he cant be ridden as his saddle no longer fits! heffer!! he literally gets a handful of chaff everyday for his suppliments and thats it. He's being lunged so atleast he gets some work though! I've been leaving his muzzle on for a few hours and he seems to stand and sulk. yesterday i was brave and left it on overnight- went and checked this morning (he'd been in it for 12 hours) and he came straight over to me, so not sure if he's eating in it or not! been a pansy and took it off today to give him a few hours break while i'm (supposed to be) working but does anyone have any tips on how to gauge if they're eating or drinking through it and how long you can leave them on for? also best times to leave on/off? ta!!

MinskiKaii

Visit site
Another vote for the Dinky Rugs muzzels. I had one on my mini shetland and in never rubbed like his other one. Very soft.

hayinamanger

Visit site
HIJACK SORRY!! i'm new to the muzzle malarky too! my TB (yes a full TB much to my vet and farriers surprise!!) has whacked on so much weight he cant be ridden as his saddle no longer fits! heffer!! he literally gets a handful of chaff everyday for his suppliments and thats it. He's being lunged so atleast he gets some work though! I've been leaving his muzzle on for a few hours and he seems to stand and sulk. yesterday i was brave and left it on overnight- went and checked this morning (he'd been in it for 12 hours) and he came straight over to me, so not sure if he's eating in it or not! been a pansy and took it off today to give him a few hours break while i'm (supposed to be) working but does anyone have any tips on how to gauge if they're eating or drinking through it and how long you can leave them on for? also best times to leave on/off? ta!!

I think that if they have been grazing with the muzzle on, there will be a build-up of grass inside it when you take it off. My chap's is always clean as a whistle so I don't think he's grazing with it on. :(

Pharphar!

Visit site
I think that if they have been grazing with the muzzle on, there will be a build-up of grass inside it when you take it off. My chap's is always clean as a whistle so I don't think he's grazing with it on. :(

yup, ditton above. Dannys has some soil in it but no grass. i was hoping the pig had licked it clean as there was some spit in it but now i'm thinking not.... i was hoping he'd copy my friends mare as she is a pro with hers but obv not. rubbish!! hopefully as there are 6 of them in his herd they'll eat the pasture down quickly and he'll not get as much! i would keep him in for the day but he'll just get angry and stomp about!! :(

Pharphar!

Visit site
yup. he'll eat that but like i said im not sure if he's actually eating when im not there or drinking!! someone said put a bucket of chaff in front of them and they'll soon get the idea that they can eat through it, same with water. I'm considering bringing him in for the day wherever poss and ignore thre grumpy tantrums but i dont want him to get stressed out. so hard to know what to do for the best!! :confused:

sare_bear

Visit site
I bought a dinky rugs one, but there is a thick band right across their incisors. Neither of mine could eat through it (not surprisingly) and a friend also bought the same and said her horse could not graze with it on. She switched to the green guard one and thinks its great. I cut a hole in mine (not that easy), and both of mine can now get some grass through, but both have chin rubs. Have gone back to strip grazing instead.

finnywinny

www.earthwisegardens.com
I bought a dinky rugs one, but there is a thick band right across their incisors. Neither of mine could eat through it (not surprisingly) and a friend also bought the same and said her horse could not graze with it on. She switched to the green guard one and thinks its great. I cut a hole in mine (not that easy), and both of mine can now get some grass through, but both have chin rubs. Have gone back to strip grazing instead.

You have to size up quite a bit with the Dinky muzzles - my mare is "only" 16.3 with an average sized head but she wears an extra large one. Plenty of room around her jaw for chomping and she grazes really well and drinks with it on. Soil inside is tell tale sign of use, as would be wet muzzle on a dry day if drinking. But if persistant sulks and no sign of eating/drinking then probably muzzles not suited to that particular horse.

I'm still in shock that its worked so well for my mare, really didn't expect her to tolerate it. She doesn't even run away when she sees me coming with it after some muzzle free time grazing - just stands and puts her nose in it. She's tricky in some other ways so its a blessed relief.

Know of many other people who also swear by green guard, but prefer the softer webbing and fleece number myself.

thinlizzy

Visit site
i put it on him in the stable for twenty mins and took it off next day after i rode him i put him in field with it on and a friend removed it six hours later hes so huge ready to drop grass is so rich dont think hes eating but he seems to put up with it im trying to ride him as much as possible but easier said then done im not sure how long to leave it on him the grass is very rich hes such a good doer i think ill leave it on longer when i know hes getting some grass any one any idea how the weight comes of f, etc ,,

lilaclomax

Visit site
My boy wears his for 19 hours now - yes it was introduced properly to begin with.
He comes in for 4-6 hours in the morning to have a feed with his supplements (needed on a restricted diet) and soaked hay plus his normal sleep!
He grazes without any problems... well he manages to keep the grass down whilst out although not to the same shortness as the un muzzled big boys in the field next door, the muzzle rarely has any sign of grass inside although it can get muddy, that sort of makes sense as he nuzzles the grass until it feeds through the hole in the middle and then he bites it off with his front teeth... leaving no trace.
If you are using one for the first time, put a pile of soaked hay out and watch them eat that - it will all go (mostly like someone eating spagetti) and show that although the time taken is longer there is a constant supply of fibre going through their system :)

brigantia

Visit site
To get a horse used to a muzzle, I recommend handgrazing them with it and feeding them treats through the hole in the bottom. You can ask a knowledgable friend to make the hole slightly bigger to make it easier. I never find grass at the bottom of the muzzle when I take it off but there's usually some mud. I wash it every day with a washing up brush and water before putting it back on. When I put it on, I put half an apple in the muzzle for her so she nickers in excitement when she sees her muzzle coming. :) My horse seems fine in it. I'd rather have her muzzled than getting laminitis.

She also comes in every day for a few hours' break from the muzzle, exercise, etc.

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
my horse has put on so much weight a grass belly yet girth still goes on same hole ive never known him go so huge i have bought a muzzle and let him wear it in the stable for twenty minutes unfortunatly i cant ride him as much as i can due to personal circumstances, so idea is to muzzle him rather than stable him hes only young how has everyone found them , any tips , etc in general how long does your horse wear one , does it help , etc does anyone else find there horses belly has gone big but not the girth needs letting out thanks any feedback would be great

My horse has worn a muzzle (shires) for the last 3-4 years when turned out, has no problem with it, he can go out and not be restricted as he's 32 I like him to move around as much as possible, he is stabled at night but his stable is big. If you want tips on customising your muzzle let me know, my horse rarely gets his off as I've had to adapt it with a centre strap and extra throat lash from a greenguard headcollar that I discarded as he didn't like that muzzle.

NOISYGIRL

Visit site

If he's been eating it should have little bits of grass inside it, mine does, I wouldn't worry he'll soon get used to it, mine is fine in his

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
To get a horse used to a muzzle, I recommend handgrazing them with it and feeding them treats through the hole in the bottom. You can ask a knowledgable friend to make the hole slightly bigger to make it easier. I never find grass at the bottom of the muzzle when I take it off but there's usually some mud. I wash it every day with a washing up brush and water before putting it back on. When I put it on, I put half an apple in the muzzle for her so she nickers in excitement when she sees her muzzle coming. :) My horse seems fine in it. I'd rather have her muzzled than getting laminitis.

She also comes in every day for a few hours' break from the muzzle, exercise, etc.

I put a chunk of carrot in mine every day so its something nice when he has it on, he can't wait to have it on !