Grazing muzzles - done to death, I know, but....

[153312]

Visit site
..... Can anyone recommend a grazing muzzle that's field safe but not simply able to be rubbed off?
My two fat mares are on a track but I ideally want them muzzled in the day time too whilst it's eaten down.
We've been using the Shires muzzles on them but they either get their thoroughbred friend to pull them off (as reported by a neighbour who witnessed it) or rub the velcro on a foreleg until it comes undone. Fence between their field and the TB's is now electrified but it doesn't solve the foreleg solution.
I've heard bad things about green guards re. Teeth rubbing so not keen on those.
Any other suggestions?

daydreamer

Visit site
I’ve got the flexible filly muzzle and the key has been a fly mask over the top. Very occasionally he rolls and rubs it off but now it is staying on most of the time. I also have made the holes quite big though so it is just restricting him a bit and he’s not absolutely desperate to get it off.

DirectorFury

Visit site
Electrical tape over the velcro sections (so it’ll still pull apart if they get stuck but they can’t lift it by rubbing) and if you plait their manes over the head strap that should stop other horses removing it or the wearer removing it by rolling.

Mine is in the flexible filly and plaiting her mane over the head strap is the only way I can keep the damn thing on.

vannersrus

Visit site
I’ve used the shires one by plaiting the mane around the poll band. I also use extra bands on top of the Velcro strap which stops them rubbing it loose

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I use Shirezs & plait through the mane and then tape the velcro closed.

I've considered cutting the bucket part from the straps and fixing to a headcollar but not 100% sure how. I wonder if cable ties would work ...

He's tough on his muzzles (I get through 3 a summer approximately as he just trashed them ??) and so far the velcro has only come undone once, which to be fair it was still wet when I put it on.

jessykai

Visit site
I use the dinky muzzles, on my shetlands and my highland.
Have stayed on when they have had their faces shoved in a hedge browsing, yet came of easily when my shetland got it caught on an electric fence insulator