Grazing Muzzles- experiences and thoughts

holeymoley

Visit site
Due to my boy coming down with laminitis , I have decided that with restricted grazing he will also need a grass muzzle on.

I have only ever seen the Greenguard one and the Shires type one .

Could you please give me your experiences with both and which you prefer as I've heard conflicting stories about both! For example I was going to pick the Shires one , but have heard they're very easy for the horse to get off. Being swayed to the greenguard one , I have then been told that the horse can push them to the side , or more seriously, it can be the cause of serious wear on top teeth.

Help!

Thank you :)

Lissa

Visit site
I've tried green guard in the past but pony just shoved it to one side no matter how I fitted it. Used the bucket type ones for a few years on both ponies and though they have occasionally got them off its not often. Putting a headcoller over seems to stop it or my friend plaits her ponies mane round the headpiece part.

Only thing I've found is they can rub the face a bit, but a bit of cheap fleece stuck on works or a snuggy hoods sweet itch or turn out head. Got one cheap in the sale and works great.

ShadowFlame

Visit site
If you opt for a newer style Greenguard, they can't push them to the side ;)

I tried both. My cob couldn't get on with bucket muzzles - he really disliked having his nostrils covered. He'd just stand and snort relentlessly. The Greenguard he accepted quite quickly as it was more open. I find both rub, it's a case of faffing with fitting until you get it right, plus modifying the muzzle / headcollar.

I'd always go with Greenguard personally, but there's still design flaws. In reality, the full size was a little too small for Rods. Options are so limited with muzzles though that we didn't have much choice.

crystalpony

Visit site
I have tried both.
I used a greenguard when they first came out, but didn't get on with it. I found it rubbed everywhere, and was quite a hassle to fit right with all the straps. The plastic was quite rigid and my mare struggled to eat through it all. They may have changed them since though....
I always use the shires type muzzles but they can rub a bit, and they occasionally get them off, but once adjusted right I don't have too much trouble. The softer ones are best.
I have just bought the new shires deluxe comfort muzzle. Its cut back under the jaw, padded on head and under throat and comes fleece lined, so no more sewing fleece on. These are the best I've used so far.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I have the dinky grazing muzzle which I think is fantastic. My mare does not resent it one bit and has never got it off. I like that it keeps the nostrils clear and does not rub. One of my liveries has a greenguard one and he gets it off nearly every day. I don't like the shires ones as they do not keep the nostrils clear and are very sweaty and claustrophobic for the horse.

suestowford

Visit site
I've tried Shires, Dinky and Greenguard and have decided that for my pony the Shires bucket one is the best.
He ate through the Dinky in two weeks!
The Greenguard rubbed and I couldn't figure out a way to pad it.
The Shires one came off in less than a minute until I got the tip on here to plait his mane over the headpiece. If you do go for the Shires bucket type, buy a size bigger than you think you will need, add extra padding and it will give more air space around the nose, won't rub either.

Whatever you get, you may find as I did that giving the pony some time off from wearing it is the key to keeping them happy.

holeymoley

Visit site
Thank you. I've not heard of dinky, ill give it a search.

I've just thought- he has a pollen allergy so not sure if this would be a problem with the shires if covering his nostrils? He scratches them on his legs quite a lot. Also I tried a friends one on that covered his nostrils, years ago and he just stood there and tried to rub it on the fence.... Hmmm!

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I use the greenguard one and found it worked well. Mine was able to graze on very short grass and it didn't get hot. It doesn't touch him at all.

It's trial and error to get the fitting right, adjusting the straps, once I had it right it stayed on the headcollar.

The only place it rubbed and that was at first, was at the point of the chin, so year 2, I put a bit of sheepskin, about an inch square, on that bit and problem solved.

A few horses on the yard had them and none managed to push them aside, though I understand this was an issue with the old style. However I have come across the straps breaking under stress which you would want it to do if they got seriously caught up. I replaced part of my headcollar with baler twine to make it fieldsafe and these have snapped (twice in 3 years) so I assume it was a situation where I would want that to happen.

The thing about teeth sort of makes sense, but mine has been seen 3 times by the dentist since he has been wearing it and has not picked up any issue. Mind, I've heard the same about nylon haynets too.

Can't comment on the others as I bought the greenguard and as it worked well didn't need to.

Just to add a friends horse used to spend time looking sad and hanging by the gate when she was there, but when we passed the field out hacking she was happily grazing when no one was around.

lottiepony

Visit site
I've got the greenguard one for my horse. Did the whole research thing to check out others peoples thoughts etc! I personally just prefer the look of this one much more open for the nostrils etc. She hasn't managed to get it off yet - she's tried fairly hard! It did start to rub her chin which seems to be quite common but I put brown parcel tape on the muzzle and Vaseline on her chin and it's solved the problem perfectly - see pic.

photo by lottiepony, on Flickr

Penny Eater

Visit site
Another vote for the dinky muzzle - the only one I've found that doesn't rub. Downside is they do need replacing as they can chew through them, the Shetland needs a new one every Spring but it lasts all summer.
They go up to XL size so suitable for big 'uns too

suestowford

Visit site
Yes, I really liked the fit of the Dinky muzzle, it was beautifully shaped and well made but at £20+ I felt it was a bit expensive for something that needed replacing after only a couple of weeks.

iCandy

Visit site
I bought a greenguard and matching head collar and cannot get it to fit my boy. The 'crate' just seems to big for his muzzle no matter how I adjust it so its back looking at alternatives :(

Chestnut mare

Visit site
I used the dinky pony one (they do loads of sizes for all horses). It was really good fitted well and didnt rub.

Took my pony a while to get the hang of it. I put it on in the morning and she had it off overnight. She did take several weeks to graze happily with it on.
I now strip graze my field which works well.

Spotsrock

Visit site
Shires fabric bucket type - needed a size bigger than expected. B1 hysterical about being in alone so real great solution so they can all stay out together, the other 2 get to eat lots and b1 can stay trim and gorgeous. :)

Tiffany

Visit site
My girl is in a Shires with the sheepskin this year which helps prevent rubbing. I've not tried any other make so can't comment on them.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I bought a greenguard and matching head collar and cannot get it to fit my boy. The 'crate' just seems to big for his muzzle no matter how I adjust it so its back looking at alternatives :(

You see that's what I like about it, it doesn't touch anywhere so doesn't cause irritation.

He's a tb but has a very little nose as his head is quite dished.

celticmolly

Visit site
I have used the Dinky muzzles on my pony for a couple of years, and have to buy two to last the season, but they never, ever rub and are nice and open around the nostrils. They are also very light - the Shires version feels rather heavy. They are well worth the money.
I now have two Shetlands in them too, and they haven't got them off, nor have they rubbed.