Grazing muzzles - how do people stop them rubbing?

NativePonyLover

Visit site
P has had a mild case of laminitis this summer - a combination if carrying a but too much extra weight (which we are working on, he's lost almost 30kgs so far) a balancer not suiting him, the wet winter we had meaning our grass was just crazy full of goodness he just didn't need.

He's on a diet, did a stint of box rest/limited turn out with a muzzle, increased exercise regime & he's now on night turnout.

He's been muzzled in the past - but not for such long periods & I'm now having issues with muzzles rubbing. He has a Shires duluxe & a HKM muzzle, which I swap about so they don't constantly rub in the same place.

I did put fleece on an old muzzle, but when it rained this just got wet & heavy. He's got a run down to the skin on one dude of his face, where the strap sits - so he's been out the last 2 nights without a muzzle at all & I'm putting salve/cream on it day & night.

When it's healed, I'd be looking to put the muzzle back on - but with some kind of padding, but I'm not sure what would be best to use?

Last edited:

Dizzle

Visit site
As recommended by H&H forum I bought the new Shires Comfort Muzzle and it's fab! The only amendment is that I've ordered a sheepskin noseband cover for the near side cheek (where the velcro closing is) as that rubbed slightly but apart from that it has been fantastic.

Horse of course will disagree... ;-)

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
We use a greenguard, we've used them for years. They are expensive but if you spend time fitting them properly then there shouldn't be an issue.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
YO has greenguards that have to be wrapped in spare pessoa fleece.

The only bit that has rubbed with my shires deluxe is the piece that joins the muzzle to throat lash as he eats - covering this with fleece has solved it. The dinky ponies one didn't rub at all. Worn for approx 12 hours a day.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I have a greenguard and find once adjusted carefully the only place it sometimes rubs is on the point of chin. So I sew a small piece of sheepskin on that bit.

diddy

Visit site
I also found the dinky muzzle didn't rub at all. However, greedy mare managed to wear a thumping great hole in the bottom in under a month! So I got her a green guard. This did rub badly at first (under her chin) but alternated it with the dinky & the skin has now hardened up & it doesn't seem to bother her any more. Only issue I have now is that it feels so heavy compared to the dinky..? However, I'm paranoid about lami & it seems very effective so guess we'll stick with it. x

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
either the new shires comfort muzzle (the waffley stuff seems to not rub) or superglue some closed cell neoprene (bike handlebar grips-about £5 from amazon, slice them down one side) around offending areas (although this make make muzzle too small). The neoprene doesnt get wet and heavy in the rain/wet grass. Like the duct tape idea although I have a youngster who's sole aim is to remove muzzles/bits of muzzles/fly masks and fly rugs from the others atm.

I have a dinky on the retired pony. although in many ways I like it, I notice that it makes him twist his neck to eat with it-in a ridden horse that would concern me.

NativePonyLover

Visit site
Thanks everyone :)

The neoprene sounds like a great idea, so think I'll give that a go. I like the sound of duct tale, but he's quite playful & out in a herd, so I don't think it'll last long. I've got visions of a trail of duct tape behind him ... :D

I really like the GG muzzle, but sadly P has other ideas. The time I've tried it, despite my instructor fitting it - he ended up with it stuck in his mouth like a hockey gum shield & point blankly refused to let me anywhere near him with it again. He's an, erm, 'special' chap! He'll lower his head for a bucket style muzzle though ...

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
P has had a mild case of laminitis this summer - a combination if carrying a but too much extra weight (which we are working on, he's lost almost 30kgs so far) a balancer not suiting him, the wet winter we had meaning our grass was just crazy full of goodness he just didn't need.

He's on a diet, did a stint of box rest/limited turn out with a muzzle, increased exercise regime & he's now on night turnout.

He's been muzzled in the past - but not for such long periods & I'm now having issues with muzzles rubbing. He has a Shires duluxe & a HKM muzzle, which I swap about so they don't constantly rub in the same place.

I did put fleece on an old muzzle, but when it rained this just got wet & heavy. He's got a run down to the skin on one dude of his face, where the strap sits - so he's been out the last 2 nights without a muzzle at all & I'm putting salve/cream on it day & night.

When it's healed, I'd be looking to put the muzzle back on - but with some kind of padding, but I'm not sure what would be best to use?

greenguard ins not rubbing donkey, and dinkey did a bit on pony but now she is strip grazed

RonnieHowe

Visit site
Silver gaffa tape!! The ONLY thing I found stopped the rubbing!
I tried all sorts of fleecy stuff and it all rubbed to some extent. With the gaffa tape no rubs at all and his hair has grown back.
I use a shires 'bucket' muzzle and he wears it 24/7 as he's a fatty.