Grazing Muzzles

ihatework

Visit site
My horse is a fat b@stard!!!

I hate grazing muzzles with a passion, but I do need to do something about my horses fat-ness and he has just had to move to a new field with lots of grass unfortunately.

So I will have to relent and buy a muzzle.

The question is which one?

The nylon type bucket muzzles look horrendous for them to wear, but are cheap to buy!
The green guard look like they would be more comfortable but they are very expensive - happy to buy a greenguard if it really is a much nicer option though.

So to anyone who muzzles - what type do you use and why? Do you have problems with it rubbing (my horse is very thin skinned and rubs very easily - even leaving a headcollar on in the field and he'll have open sores within a day).

If you use a greenguard one is it essential to use the greenguaard headcollar? Would it attach to a regular headcollar (that I has smothered in anti-rub fleece sleeves!)

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I have the cheapy bucket type one, Shires I think? Yes, it does rub a bit and I found the key is to make sure there isn't much movement when it's on so needs to be done up fairly snugly. I also stitched some satin onto it which helps (I cut up an old satin camisole top that I found in the house!).

SpottedCat

Visit site
Why did you not mention this yesterday? I have a bucket style one (which hasn't ever rubbed mine, but that doesn't mean anything!) and you could have borrowed it, customised it with fleece and dead sheep and diamantes and found out easily ;)

Welshie Squisher

Visit site
I had a green guard, greedy highland discovered within 15 mins that all he had to do is stand on it and the plastic muzzle part snaps off from the head collar. Stays on with strong twine but once they know they keep trying!
Definitely much kinder on the face though.

I've also used the webbing type and they do rub and cause sores. You have to treat them like a new pair of shoes, literally break them in. They are fine after they've soffened. You can stitch sheep skin around the noseband area, but watch out for rubs on the chin, they can be hard to spot. Sudocrem helps.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Ruby wears the Shires one.

I actually like it. It did rub to begin with underneath her chin, but the skin hardend up and now doesn't rub anymore. I bought a sheepskin noseband sleeve from Ebay and cut it in half and put it on the muzzle so it doesn't rub. The sleeve was £3.

Sophstar

Visit site
Cob used to be in a Best Friend bucket muzzle with the odd rub but is now in a greenguard as I prefer his nose to be free especially in the very hot weather. The bucket muzzles can get very hot and stuffy. Pony is in a greenguard too, simply because he hated the bucket type and found it claustrophobic. I pad mine out with sheepskin and vet wrap and though cob is missing hair on his chin, its not rubbed the skin sore.

ihatework

Visit site
Cob used to be in a Best Friend bucket muzzle with the odd rub but is now in a greenguard as I prefer his nose to be free especially in the very hot weather. The bucket muzzles can get very hot and stuffy. Pony is in a greenguard too, simply because he hated the bucket type and found it claustrophobic. I pad mine out with sheepskin and vet wrap and though cob is missing hair on his chin, its not rubbed the skin sore.

I think that has swayed my decision to the greenguard.
My horse has allergic asthma so needs as much air as possible!!

Do you use a regular headcollar with your greenguard?

PS, thanks for all responses :)

Joeb21

Visit site
I would go for the greenguard bucket style one ! I found that this was better than the shire's / dinky ones, and a lot cleaner for the horses, they don't sweat in the GG nor do they get clogged with dirt/mud , the horses nostril's are not being covered over and they dry much quicker than material ones after have a drink . I don't think they do a small size in the bucket style though as i wanted one for my sec A .

Sophstar

Visit site
I think that has swayed my decision to the greenguard.
My horse has allergic asthma so needs as much air as possible!!

Do you use a regular headcollar with your greenguard?

PS, thanks for all responses :)

Ditto with my cob. Breathing is a lot heavier in the dry/hotter/humid weather and I worried about him trying to breath through the small holes and as he was always clearing his nose, he had a build up of dried snot where the bucket was resting on his nose!

I use the greenguard headcollar with mine, both of the ponies. I know a lot of people don't like them as they have no breakaway part but cob hasn't got the throat lash part attached so if he actually thought about it could just slip it off over his head:rolleyes: Brat pony is strapped into his including mane plaited over it and I know he could get out of it if he really REALLY tried!

Donnie Darco

Visit site
Lyla wears a GreenGuard muzzle - its saved her life this year!!!

Its not claustrophobic (like the webbing ones are), the air circulates better.

We tried a webbing muzzle last year, she turned herself inside out in a major strop, refused to settle let alone eat.

Now she wears her GG everyday, no fuss or bother, has maintained a good weight (and I've had to ask the YO to top the field TWICE!! as she cannot keep up with the grass growth!!! Unheard of before! :eek:)

Unfortunately ALL muzzles will rub to start with, Lyla has a massive blister on her chin in the beginning but I just slathered her chin with Sudocream (or vaseline, any lubricant really ;)) but the skin does toughen up. Also clean it out daily, mud and grass can get stuck inside causing irritation.

She wears her's with the GG headcollar, but TBH think it would fit a normal headcollar.

And finally, the expense. Yes they are expensive I was lucky enough to borrow one from a friend before i forked out the money for one. Once I knew it worked it didn't hurt so much parting with hard earned cash.

Also, I bought her current one in April ?? Still going strong, having used webbing muzzles in the past with my old horse, we'd go though them every couple of months (the rubber would wear away, hole would get stupidly big) so in some cases they maybe a false economy ;)

Have you looked on EBAY for a second hand one ? Or I got mine from Robinsons as they were the cheapest I found new :)

Good Luck!!! And no, I don't work for GreenGuard ;)