Grazing muzzles

chaps89

Visit site
@BunnyDog I like the look of that, although I'm less keen on the price tag! Do you know how well they last?

Looks like dinky muzzle will be worth a try, just need to remember the tape measure so I can measure up whether she will be a large or xl.

BunnyDog

Visit site
They look like a really good design. They aren't cheap though! Do you know how robust they are? Are they lasting a full season?

The reviews from last season were great. Oddly I noticed the USA price is down about $20 right now compared to last year's price.

I would read up on various online reviews. I am considering getting one because my (^%*^*Y) horses keep chewing on fence boards (not cribbing) just bored chewing when they get tired of grass or hay.

Em

chaps89

Visit site
The dinky muzzle arrived today. Thought I'd start with that given as so many people recommended it here.
She seemed a bit baffled/confused by how to eat with it on but got the hang of it.
She was hungry when she came in which she isn't with the she's muzzle, so for now if say that's a good thing.
But it's already worn a little bit so I'm not sure how well it will last, we'll see. I'm hoping it's just breaking in and will last a while, it feels lovely and lightweight and open in comparison to the shires muzzle I have to say.
Screenshot_20200407-232402_Gallery.jpg

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Chaps, I had a pony who ate through the nose holes and mullered it v quickly, the 2nd one I brought I then looped an old strap from centre of nose to centre of headpiece to prevent this.
If the current one prevents a vet visit for laminitis then it's worth it for that short time x

chaps89

Visit site
Chaps, I had a pony who ate through the nose holes and mullered it v quickly, the 2nd one I brought I then looped an old strap from centre of nose to centre of headpiece to prevent this.
If the current one prevents a vet visit for laminitis then it's worth it for that short time x
Like one of the straps on the greenguard muzzles/headcollar that runs down from between their ears along the front of the face to the top of the noseband?
Anything that prevents a laminitis visit is worth it in my book!
I'm sad because she looked so nice and trim when we were on temp livery and now she is a waddly fat lump :( but she was non-reactive to the hoof testers with the farrier and has been behaving keeping her muzzle on and staying on the track and I am still working her as best I can in the current circumstances so I'm doing my best and will just have to see how we get on ?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Has anyone tried an ultimate muzzle? (They're the new version of the easy breathing muzzle)
Struggling to keep the shires muzzle, which mine has mostly worn without objection to, on her at the moment. No idea why this year she has decided she won't wear it but it's off every day without fail.
Equally is anyone still using greenguard muzzles? I really regret selling mine for a tenner years ago :( know they're more expensive but are they worth it? My old boy used to get rubbed terribly by them.
I bought one at the end of last summer, never actually used it but I’d appears better quality than a lot I’ve tried.

chaps89

Visit site
Thanks poiuytrewq. Will be interested in feedback as and when you use it if you don't mind?
Toying between trying that one next or just taking the plunge and buying the one bunnydog linked to, unless of course the dinky one holds out better than I think it might.

Merlod

Visit site
Mine did the same to a dinky muzzle. I use muzzles from kramer, cheaper than easy breathe but very similar.

holeymoley

Visit site
I’ve just bought one from rideaway. Hopeless as I’ve forgotten the brand but almost like Shires except with nostril holes. Almost the same size and so far seems good!

chaps89

Visit site
Have given up with the dinky.
I've watched her eat with it on and she doesn't even seem to be pushing the muzzle to one side particularly but the strap is now quite damaged and I'm not sure it's really restricting her anymore and there's a potential for sores from the frayed webbing.
It's a shame as having now had one I think they're a great design, really lightweight and seemingly much more comfortable than a normal bucket muzzle, plus I really like the plastic clip rather than faffing around with Velcro.

Screenshot_20200422-103754_Gallery.jpg

Now waiting for an ultimate muzzle to arrive.

I really like the look of the thinline one but it worked out about £100 by the time I added postage and a field safe headcollar on, and as they only came out last year I couldn't find any reviews yet on their longevity, so I'm keeping that as my last resort option!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Chaps, looks like she's been eating out of the nose hole ?
I've fixed a centre strap (bootlace) from centre of noseband up face to headpiece in the past, to stop it being pushed down and thus prevent the nose section eaten.

chaps89

Visit site
Yep, that's what it looks like doesn't it?
But I've watched her grazing with it on and it doesn't slip down/isn't getting pulled down or to one side?!
As you'd mentioned that so I thought I would attach a strap like you suggested but when I watched her with it on she doesn't seem to be particularly pushing it about.
That photo was from 13th April, first one I posted was 7th, so she did a fair bit of damage in 6 days to it. (She's not worn it since, we're back to the shires muzzle but threaded through a baler twine loop of shame in her mane to stop her pulling it off, which is mostly successful!)