Grazing on very long grass

LizWing

Visit site
I have been gradually strip grazing my mare onto fresh grass adjoining her paddock. The new grass is now virtually hay - at what stage would it be safe to simply allow her to graze it? Topping is not an option as we don't have the machinery and the farm owner is not very proactive and is unlikely to do it!

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I always continue to strip graze them on long grass, it's going to be quite nutritious at this time of year and they just trample it if they can pick and choose.

LizWing

Visit site
I always continue to strip graze them on long grass, it's going to be quite nutritious at this time of year and they just trample it if they can pick and choose.[/QUO

Thank you - that was my feeling. My problem this year is that I just can't keep up with the grass - its growing as fast behind her as it is in front of her!

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Can you electric fence off some of the grass behind her if you're worried about her having too much?

Otherwise just let the long grass just turn to standing hay and use it to save on forage bills at the start of winter.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Standing hay is old fashioned but under rated IMHO. I usually try to have my winter field at hay making height at xmas when I turn them out onto it (left to rest from Aug each year). they get good quality field forage for months without me having to do any lugging hay in. They do trample and waste some but if you need the dead stuff tidied up after you have done a good harrow and some friendly sheep are perfect.
My neighbours sheep have just come out of my winter trash field and it looks like a cricket pitch they have done such a nice job