Grazing rights on private land

Goldenstar

Visit site
Seek advice , they don't have a right to remain just find out what is the correct procedure for getting rid of them and get it done .
The cheek of people is unreal.

Mrjones

New User
Visit site
Hi thanks for your replys.ive been on the phone all day to many solicitors etc and it seems the only thing I can do is serve legal documents on unknown persons. As it's a civil offence they are not legally required to give me there name or address etc so I have to post it on the gate to unknown persons.ive spoken to bailiffs solicitors etc and they are saying the same.as much as I can charge for 3 years grazing I will never see a penny.i would need a county court order to do this but again don't no there names and even if I did and had a court order granted there's not much I could send a bailiff to take.there caravan is classed as there home so no bailiff could or would touch that as it's against there human rights apparently.i read online about the travellers who brought a £30000 caravan for £200 (or so they claim) it was stolen from a elderly couple and the police have refused to take it back and return it due to there human rights.there cars are all on finance hp etc so they can't be taken anyway and there vans are and tools etc are classed as tools of the trade so again immune from any form of enforcement.i asked about taking the gate of and was told it would be very unwise to do this.as the horses are on my land I am liable for them.if they get lost run away etc guess who has to foot the bill? ME if they get hit by a car etc I'm also liable and in cases of a crash and somebody dies etc expect a manslaughter conviction.at the very minimum I could expect a animal cruelty charge to be brought against me for many things including abandonment to not bloody feeding them (a bit ironic don't you think) and also BANNED from keeping animals for doing this.i have a dog so defo wouldn't want to open a can of worms by opening the gate.even tho there not my horses untill there legally removed there my responsibility and I can even be sued myself for damages if they for example mess up somebody's garden damage property etc as there on my land and it would be me who allowed them to do this by letting them out ( basically the law is fully against me)it's the same with burglars if they break into your house and trip over your step and hurts himself even tho his illegally there he can sue you(the worlds gone crazy) so this is my plan.i have to call out a vet to check over and scan the horses for microchips etc.this could lead me to a persons name but was told it proberly won't due to there experience in these cases.i then have to put up a notice to say animals abandoned etc and they will be removed.if after 21 days they are not gone I need to start court proceedings for the judge to sign them over to me.depending on the horses identity I will then need to pay to get them microchipped and passported or if they already have a passport pay for a duplicate to be issued.then I can pay a bailiff to remove them from my land but would also need to pay transporting and storage costs witch is going to be very expensive.i could try to sell them myself (good luck with that) or even attempt a rescue center (again good luck with that) as the horses are not technically in need of a rescue nobody wants to no.thats if it all doesn't my way with no disputes from the gypsys.they have been known to dispute every little thing down to fake tenancy agreements to verbal contracts to you name it they try it.this would off course make court costs sky rocket witch I'd need to pay and claim back of them (not going to happen) it can also make the court cases take forever just as when they illegally set up sites.dale farm took ten years to evict them if I'm right? That would cost me thousands and defiantly outweigh the value of my property.in terms of grazing rights there is such a thing on common and private land but a certain time period must pass first.im still waiting for clarification on this.ive been told to have a budget of a minimum of £2000 and that's if it goes according to plan.if not triple that.i think it's so unfair the law is totally on there side and I can't just simply remove them.i asked about ploughing and was told try the notice for now and more laws and costs will have to be looked up as that could actually make my matters a whole lot worse.ive also been told if they are indeed claiming adverse possession that the owner could be excluded from the land untill a court order has been approved and they could even sue ME for trespass as that's the whole point of adverse possession and untill a court order has been approved I could be liable.it gets worse and worse.im 150 miles away so won't go back to the land untill next weekend now.i will obviously keep you all updated on how it all goes and thank you for all your input

honetpot

Visit site
When I had my unwanted lodger I found out all the information you have obtained. If you speak to solicitors they go for worst case and think of the costs. I knew someone who does security and he gave me hope. Pin up your eviction notices and get someone to keep pinning them up when they rip them down. You do not need a solicitor to get a court order, if you go on the Court web sites they give you information and my friend who is the letting agent says if you have a problem ring the Clerk to the courts. Once you get the court order you can either get the bailiffs in, but my security mate said by then they usually go which mine did before I even went to the court. My unwanted guest, left when I put the eviction notice on the gates and I managed to find out where they were living and sent one there.
They are a bit like professional thieves, they know the law and work on the fact that most people do not and therefore get what they can while they can. When they find out you know your rights they will probably move them.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Hi thanks for your replys.ive been on the phone all day to many solicitors etc and it seems the only thing I can do is serve legal documents on unknown persons. As it's a civil offence they are not legally required to give me there name or address etc so I have to post it on the gate to unknown persons.ive spoken to bailiffs solicitors etc and they are saying the same.as much as I can charge for 3 years grazing I will never see a penny.i would need a county court order to do this but again don't no there names and even if I did and had a court order granted there's not much I could send a bailiff to take.there caravan is classed as there home so no bailiff could or would touch that as it's against there human rights apparently.i read online about the travellers who brought a £30000 caravan for £200 (or so they claim) it was stolen from a elderly couple and the police have refused to take it back and return it due to there human rights.there cars are all on finance hp etc so they can't be taken anyway and there vans are and tools etc are classed as tools of the trade so again immune from any form of enforcement.i asked about taking the gate of and was told it would be very unwise to do this.as the horses are on my land I am liable for them.if they get lost run away etc guess who has to foot the bill? ME if they get hit by a car etc I'm also liable and in cases of a crash and somebody dies etc expect a manslaughter conviction.at the very minimum I could expect a animal cruelty charge to be brought against me for many things including abandonment to not bloody feeding them (a bit ironic don't you think) and also BANNED from keeping animals for doing this.i have a dog so defo wouldn't want to open a can of worms by opening the gate.even tho there not my horses untill there legally removed there my responsibility and I can even be sued myself for damages if they for example mess up somebody's garden damage property etc as there on my land and it would be me who allowed them to do this by letting them out ( basically the law is fully against me)it's the same with burglars if they break into your house and trip over your step and hurts himself even tho his illegally there he can sue you(the worlds gone crazy) so this is my plan.i have to call out a vet to check over and scan the horses for microchips etc.this could lead me to a persons name but was told it proberly won't due to there experience in these cases.i then have to put up a notice to say animals abandoned etc and they will be removed.if after 21 days they are not gone I need to start court proceedings for the judge to sign them over to me.depending on the horses identity I will then need to pay to get them microchipped and passported or if they already have a passport pay for a duplicate to be issued.then I can pay a bailiff to remove them from my land but would also need to pay transporting and storage costs witch is going to be very expensive.i could try to sell them myself (good luck with that) or even attempt a rescue center (again good luck with that) as the horses are not technically in need of a rescue nobody wants to no.thats if it all doesn't my way with no disputes from the gypsys.they have been known to dispute every little thing down to fake tenancy agreements to verbal contracts to you name it they try it.this would off course make court costs sky rocket witch I'd need to pay and claim back of them (not going to happen) it can also make the court cases take forever just as when they illegally set up sites.dale farm took ten years to evict them if I'm right? That would cost me thousands and defiantly outweigh the value of my property.in terms of grazing rights there is such a thing on common and private land but a certain time period must pass first.im still waiting for clarification on this.ive been told to have a budget of a minimum of £2000 and that's if it goes according to plan.if not triple that.i think it's so unfair the law is totally on there side and I can't just simply remove them.i asked about ploughing and was told try the notice for now and more laws and costs will have to be looked up as that could actually make my matters a whole lot worse.ive also been told if they are indeed claiming adverse possession that the owner could be excluded from the land untill a court order has been approved and they could even sue ME for trespass as that's the whole point of adverse possession and untill a court order has been approved I could be liable.it gets worse and worse.im 150 miles away so won't go back to the land untill next weekend now.i will obviously keep you all updated on how it all goes and thank you for all your input

Hi,

I've had to deal with quite a few similar cases at work and it isn't fun.

I would serve a 14 day abandonment notice with a clear effect date on it - basically stating that if the animals are not removed within 14 days you will assume legal responsibility for them. Stick asd many as possible everywhere with a camera date on them.

Ring your local kennelman from the hunt and ask whether they would be able to come and take a look at them to give you a quote to dispose of them, and expect to give him £20 for his petrol.

If they are "travellers" the sight of a knackerman will have them packed up and gone within 24 hours, it is usually my last resort but hasn't failed yet.

Whereabouts in the country are you?

honetpot

Visit site
Hi,

I would serve a 14 day abandonment notice with a clear effect date on it - basically stating that if the animals are not removed within 14 days you will assume legal responsibility for them. Stick asd many as possible everywhere with a camera date on them.

Ring your local kennelman from the hunt and ask whether they would be able to come and take a look at them to give you a quote to dispose of them, and expect to give him £20 for his petrol.

If they are "travellers" the sight of a knackerman will have them packed up and gone within 24 hours, it is usually my last resort but hasn't failed yet.

Nice one.

Bigbenji

Visit site
I know a farmer who gave notice then on the last day moved in with the digger and starting digging a big trench round the field but leaving the side where the entrance was. He went back the following day to finish and surprise surprise they had left.
Op in your shoes I would play by the book and serve notice. Chances are they will go on the last day but if they do leave then plough or secure asap as some have been known to return a day or so later knowing full well you have to serve notice all over again :/

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
hi,

i've had to deal with quite a few similar cases at work and it isn't fun.

great post!

mandwhy

Visit site
When I had my unwanted lodger I found out all the information you have obtained. If you speak to solicitors they go for worst case and think of the costs. I knew someone who does security and he gave me hope. Pin up your eviction notices and get someone to keep pinning them up when they rip them down. You do not need a solicitor to get a court order, if you go on the Court web sites they give you information and my friend who is the letting agent says if you have a problem ring the Clerk to the courts. Once you get the court order you can either get the bailiffs in, but my security mate said by then they usually go which mine did before I even went to the court. My unwanted guest, left when I put the eviction notice on the gates and I managed to find out where they were living and sent one there.
They are a bit like professional thieves, they know the law and work on the fact that most people do not and therefore get what they can while they can. When they find out you know your rights they will probably move them.

Hi,

I think I'd do a combination of these! Also if you are going to do anything that poses a danger to the horses like ploughing etc (wouldnt surprise me if you had a pregnant mare on there) or taking off the gate then you need to warn them to move and make sure the horses can't come to any harm (secure them somehow somewhere) but I'd also try to come across like you wouldn't think twice about having them 'disposed of' as they will try to play on the fact that most people wouldn't do this.

I don't think you need to go for expensive option, I think you need to play them at their own games!