GREAT NEWS ABOUT CLARITA!!!!!

GTs

Visit site
Her mum is keeping her - she is not going to do much - mainly look pretty, get hugs and kisses, go on walks, etc. If a wond waver surfaces she will go there but in the meantime she is just going to chill.

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

JessPickle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
but in the meantime she is just going to chill.

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ever thought about fal's I hear they are great to keep the wind out and avoid getting a chill.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

anyway, thats great news bet you cant wipe the
smile.gif
of your face

Tia

Visit site
How old is Clarita? What is she going to do for the rest of her life? Just plod around a field...

Don't get me wrong, that is nice that the girl is going to keep her; but I can't see the point unless she has loads of land and needs a companion-horse for the next 20 years. Sorry - no doubt I will be branded "nasty" yet again for saying something like this.....heyho.
crazy.gif

GTs

Visit site
Nope they are getting her rechecked in a year - see if it was viral that caused the heart problem (which can go away), or atleast get a little bit better. Also she could be a trail horse (at walk only) but we worry she is too hot to take that lifestyle - they are going to see if she can relax over the next year and get that as an option.

Seems like a good plan to me,
If they have a field that she can chill in then she may aswell!

rosita

Visit site
thats wonderful news, hopefully she may recover slightly, it has been known. Vets also have to be cautious, as i'm sure you already being a polo bod too, if she's a bit cooked at the moment a year out of work may chill her enough to take on a another job...Yay!!!!

Sooty

Visit site
Which is exactly what GTs would have said to anyone else in the same situation. Not nasty at all, you have to consider a horse's mental welfare as well as its physical. Also, it costs as much to keep a bad horse as a good one...

rosita

Visit site
Nothing wrong with her being in a field. But would be nice for her and GT's if she could poddle around at some point in the future. I breed off my unrideable mares, but not every one is in the position where this is practical.

Skhosu

Visit site
I don't really think it would be???
Unless the field is v. small.. I don't agree that horses find riding 'exciting'.
Depends on the horse of course, some may not adapt well. What about breeding? Is she good enough to breed from?
And if she could pootle around, even better.
What exactly would you all do then, those who wouldn't put her in a field to chill?

JadeWisc

Visit site
If the mare has plenty of food, space, a friend, and shelter I happen to think she would adore her life in the pasture. Horses are easy to please and if the family is willing and able to keep her I think it is noble of them.

I hope she gets better

Weezy

Visit site
Guys please remember that fields where she is arent fields as you know them - we are talking dust paddocks (unless she has moved)

Also there are 3 people on here that are absolutely adament AND vocal that if horses dont have a job then the best thing to do is to PTS - those people are me, Tia and, funnily enough, GTs!!!!!!!!! (Yes there are others but us 3 have always been very consistent on this matter)

Skhosu

Visit site
If it is a dust paddock, maybe there is a point about quality of life.
Would you class paddock ornament as having a job?
I would have to disagree there, but feel this is prob. an arguement which has been gone over one too many times!

JadeWisc

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Horses for courses isnt it! Personally no I would never keep a horse alive that was simply a paddock ornament
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I would if I had the money and space. If I had enough resources and help I could see myself spending my time running a retirement farm for horses otherwise considered useless to others. They would have to have a good quality of life and not be in pain or suffering. It is obvious if a horse is happy or miserable.

[ QUOTE ]
Horses for courses isnt it! Personally no I would never keep a horse alive that was simply a paddock ornament
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as the horse had good quality of life then I 100% would keep it.
However whn I answer I am thinking what would i do if it were my horse...i've had her a long time and would do anything for - if she was just a pet then that is fine. There are other horses though that come and go, that I wouldn't do as much for, I wouldn't necessarily have them shot but i wouldn't go to the same lengths.

So i suppose it depends on how long you keep your horses for and how you view their role in your life.........my mare is my pet who also does a job, but if she couldn't do her job she would still be my pet.

GTs

Visit site
OK to settle a few things:

The thing I am against is selling or trading hands of a horses who are not suitable to be ridden. If the horse is on livery, and you want a riding horse I would agree with the notion of PTS and take care of yourself - you do not owe it to the horse to take care of it. Now if you own 300 acres, have 30+ horses, 2 grooms and 1 professional rider - if you want to keep a horse that does not do much I do not think there is anything wrong with that.

Clarita lives in a 4 acre field with a number of other horses (including Stella). During the day the gates get opened and they have 15-20 acres for them to be in. CO is dry so it is not grass covered fields like you have in England, but it is not dusty. The views from her fields are lovely, especially when it snows.

Clarita has no problems breathing - it was just after one game she had problems catching her breath, which is why all of this came about - I do not think stuffing her face or getting big hugs is going to cause a reoccurance.

I personally do agree with horses like the notion of being useful and while certain horses do not adopt to retirement, I think many of them do and quite like being bought in occasionally to be brushed, or have a cuddle.

Enfys

Visit site
Also there are 3 people on here that are absolutely adament AND vocal that if horses dont have a job then the best thing to do is to PTS - those people are me, Tia and, funnily enough, GTs!!!!!!!!! (Yes there are others but us 3 have always been very consistent on this matter)

[/ QUOTE ]

I happen to agree with that sentiment Weezy, not that long ago I choose to have a relatively young and very active horse put to sleep rather than be a field ornament because I considered his future quality of life to be dismal given his circumstances.

It's all a very personal thing and every case should be treated individually.

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It's all a very personal thing and every case should be treated individually.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I think the bottom line in every case everyone involved loves their horse and will make the right decision for them, even if it is the tough one!

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The thing I am against is selling or trading hands of a horses who are not suitable to be ridden.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you've hit the nail on the head for me. However if this girl is prepared to keep Clarita for the rest of her life and she doesn't mind paying out for her in that time then I suppose it is perhaps not unreasonable that Clarita could enjoy the next 20 or so years life there.

I think the problem often comes about when people say they would keep a horse like this if they could.....I'm not sure there are many who in the cold light of day would actually commit to this to be honest. Heck of a commitment.

I know I wouldn't keep a non-useful horse for 2 decades if it wasn't doing anything - yes I have plenty of beautiful acres for my horses to run around in and I have an abundance of hay to feed them but even with all this I won't have any hangers-on. All of mine are here for some sort of purpose and if they didn't have a purpose then they would be sold.

Worming, farrier work, hard feeding, rugging etc adds up to more than $/£1,000 per year......no; unless I owed that horse big time or had an overwhelming adoration for it, then sorry but it wouldn't remain here; I certainly couldn't afford to keep it at the expense of not being able to have another horse who would be a contributing member.

I do however respect the owners decision and my apologies to you; I thought that Clarita had breathing issues aswell as heart problems which is why I queried why they would even consider keeping her.

GTs

Visit site
No probs - you and I are on the same page. I think this owner would normally put the horse down, but Clarita is something special! Having owned her I guess it is just how nice she is. She is so well behaved, just being around her is a joy!

There are some horses who you just break the rules for - my friend Tim gave me Stella. I spoke to him about the dilemma of Clarita yesterday and he said in no uncertain terms to kill her. The funny thing is when Tim had Stella, he made excuses to his boss three times why Stella did not go to auction - while he desperately searched for a home for her as he liked her so much. He has taken many horses to auction, and not thought twice about them, but he thought Stella deserved more.

I guess the moral of the story - everyone breaks rules for nice horses.

Parkranger

Visit site
It's a tough one - I think that as long as she will enjoy life then why not keep her alive? My old saddlebred broke his back leg - vet said that he could try and save it, keep him strapped in a stable for 8 weeks and then the best he'd be able to do is hobble around the field - that is a candidate for being PTS.

If Clarissa can still enjoy life, have a gallop around and a buck and be well looked after then I agree with what you're doing. x