Great Swiss Mountain dog.

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
I am starting the process of considering our next canine family member, and have been drawn to this breed. I have been reading up about them, but not met one yet. Any advice would be very helpful.

Nicnac

Visit site
Sorry not had a GSMD but have met a few. I have had 5 Bernese Mountain Dogs which are similar in many ways. They are, in my view, the best dogs in the world if you get a good one therefore worth doing the research into breeders. Their only issue, apart from the well documented hip dysplasia and cancers, is lifespan and after losing my last one in October at the age of 9, I took the decision not to have any more.

They don't need a huge amount of exercise but do take up quite a bit of room indoors as they want to be as near to you as possible at all times! They are wonderful with children - all people in fact - but are good guard dogs through their bark and their presence but wouldn't hurt a fly. Mine have all been really happy go lucky sorts who live life with relish and are very trainable.

Sprout

Nicnac, so sorry to hear you lost yours at a relatively young age, but thank you so much for your reply. A friend had a Burnese and she was wonderful, a true family dog. I have read about their health issues, and guess that the GSMD might suffer with similar problems?
I was drawn more towards the GSMD than the Burnese as I would like a dog with a bit more of a guarding instinct.
Thank you for your help.

Sprout

Oh Sprout have you given up thoughts of a Flatcoat? Ofcourse not a guard dog but perfect in every other way!

Not at all Chiffy, especially after all your wonderful advice ..... just doing some homework.
Our Dobie is sadly on her last legs, and I am noticing how much I miss her very good guarding instinct now she either doesnt hear people approaching or is asleep a lot! Being quite rural/ isolated, a guarding instinct is important, but having lived with our Dobie, I do find other people's fearful attitude towards them when we are out, no matter how well behaved she might be, quite difficult to deal with at times. So to have a dog that will protect at home, but not be subjected to preconceived opinions when out would be preferable. X

Nicnac

Visit site
OMG Sprout - I now have two flatcoats! DON'T GO THERE - complete mentallists compared to a lovely chilled Swiss dog. Seriously, they are nuts but adorable.

Sprout

OMG Sprout - I now have two flatcoats! DON'T GO THERE - complete mentallists compared to a lovely chilled Swiss dog. Seriously, they are nuts but adorable.

Nicnac you did make me laugh - I had heard they could be a little ..... exciteable and scatty, but then my physio got one and it was beautifully calm, and then recently Chiffy has been telling me how wonderful hers are!
I do appreciate hearing about different breeds .... warts and all!

Wishful

Visit site
Even labs have a bit of a guarding instinct... Our fox red would let anyone in if we're awake and aware but at night/in a more vulnerable situation he has one impressively deep bark. No image problems, but far less interesting than one of the mountain breeds.

Sprout

Wishful you have a point about labs, my neighbour had a fox red, stunning to look at but with an impressive bark when I walked past their house.

Thistle, I didnt realise Boxers had a woof in them, whenever I have seen one I have always been surprised at how incredibly playful and athletic they are.

This is brilliant advice, thank you.

Thistle

Visit site
I have just lost my second boxer. Both were castrated males living with other dogs. Both had similar guarding traits, patrolled the boundary and woofed if anyone approached. Once I let someone in both were friendly quiet house dogs.

Scarlett

Visit site
I have just lost my second boxer. Both were castrated males living with other dogs. Both had similar guarding traits, patrolled the boundary and woofed if anyone approached. Once I let someone in both were friendly quiet house dogs.

I've knows 2 boxers who were both guard dogs and family dogs and they were wonderful, wonderful dogs. Big bark and imposing when needed yet affectionate, daft, loving house pets the rest of the time.

We have 2 boxer x's and they both have an excellent guard instinct - one is smaller than a boxer but has the bark and presence and the other is an adolescent boxer x staff who sounds ferocious from the other side of the fence/door but is a soppy git in the house. I spend a lot of time on my own at home and on the yard and they make me feel very safe.

satinbaze

Visit site
Flatcoats are NOT scatty 😀 yes they are slow to mature compared to a lab or a golden, they do need training BUT they are full of life and fun. They respond very well to clicker training and can turn their paw to most things. My old Maya was chilled and laid back in the house but would switch on when training or competing. She actively competed in breed, obedience, agility and working trials, not many dogs can do all of those. She was 13 when I lost her earlier this year
I adore my flatcoats and I hate it when people say they are silly!!!! or that they all die young
FLATCOATS RULE

Clodagh

Visit site
I think the thing about flatcoats is you see so few of them (compared to labs etc) and that numpty people seem drawn to them! I know three, one is the most lovely dog, affable, well trained and an absolute pleasure, the other two are hideous and so badly behaved you would avoid going to the owners' houses. But both of those are owned by people whos children are equally awful so I doubt it is the dogs fault.
We have labs, OP, and they have a good woof on them and really go for it if someone comes to the door. If that someone is carrying a gun though they both get overexcited and want to go and sit in armed persons car so they are no judge of character!

ETA and any boxer I have met have made a flatcoat seem very calm and trainable.

Sprout

Satinbaze, thanks for telling me about your Flat Coat, she sounded truly amazing. You obviously gave her plenty of variety to stimulate her mentally and physically, and they really do thrive on that life style.
I am really appreciating hearing from everyone, it helps in the long process of finding the right breed and then the right breeder.

satinbaze

Visit site
Satinbaze, thanks for telling me about your Flat Coat, she sounded truly amazing. You obviously gave her plenty of variety to stimulate her mentally and physically, and they really do thrive on that life style.
I am really appreciating hearing from everyone, it helps in the long process of finding the right breed and then the right breeder.
I currently have 2 flatcoats, lily is Maya's daughter and she is very bright and loving. She competes in breed and obedience. Unfortunately due to s GDV at 2 her trials and agility careers were cut short. She is now retired from obedience as she is nearly 9 and I'm busy training Tiva. Tiva is just 2 and she competes in breed and is training for obedience. Tiva is a sweetheart and very bright but I am taking her training slowly. I have entered her in the obedience at the flatcoat open show next month so watch this space to see how we do.
I strongly believe that all dogs need stimulation and varied training helps to create a balanced dog. Flatcoats respond very well to clicker training.
BTW my friends flatcoat came second in "A" obedience at the weekend only losing out to Mary Ray.😃

Feival

Visit site
Our yard dog is a Burnese x rottie, she is the soppiest loveliest girl around, but she guards us and the horses 100%. Delivery drivers refuse to get out when the hear her.

Feival

Visit site
She looks like a rottie, with a longer wavy coat and a white chest, I'll dig out a pic.

temporary_zps78pnim6d.jpg~original

Last edited:

PingPongPony

Visit site
What about a Black Russian Terrier?
My parents have one, great guard dog, a fab bark on him but I think I've heard him bark all of 5 times since the beginning of the year, we call him ninja, he creeps up on you silently, one minute you're stood in the doorway signing for a package, and the next he's right there next to you, staring at the postman, not growling, not barking, just stood square, staring.
But if we say that it's okay, he is then fine with the person walking into the house/garden, he just needs permission to let them in first.
He is a fantastic family dog, so happy, his tail never stops wagging, he loves to play, go for walks, he wants to play with all the dogs, but he's equally as happy to walk past them if that's what you want him to do, he's also equally happy to stay home all day and sleep.
He is so so intelligent, learns things very very quickly, and is eager to learn, but a training session has to be short and to the point, he's not the type of dog to repeatedly ask him to sit for 30min, he does get bored, and just lies down, turns onto his back and pulls silly faces at you! he does need boundaries, and does like to know what's expected of him though
He does love to be close to you, if you go to the toilet he won't come in (he would if you let him; he's tried to climb into the shower with me before so he's now not allowed to go in the bathroom!) but it's guaranteed he will be waiting right outside the door.
His best friend is my toy poodle, they love each other, one won't go out for a pee unless the other comes along too! (he knows not to do his business in the garden so will ask to be taken out when he needs it)
Oh and they don't shed :)
Unfortunately the colour choice is very limited, they only come in black :p
Most people don't have a clue what he is, so no stigma attached, he's just a happy fluffy bear trotting towards them wagging his tail with his tongue hanging out :)

image-8534f00b0b94df763d7fdf5a3eba3fc7d07282841fdbe3c2cde9e445da859497-V_zpsaze3xyff.jpg

DSC_0913_zpsw2oocmmy.jpg

IMG_20150522_000000_zpsuow2ov0e.jpg

Thistle

Visit site
What about a Black Russian Terrier?
My parents have one, great guard dog, a fab bark on him but I think I've heard him bark all of 5 times since the beginning of the year, we call him ninja, he creeps up on you silently, one minute you're stood in the doorway signing for a package, and the next he's right there next to you, staring at the postman, not growling, not barking, just stood square, staring.
But if we say that it's okay, he is then fine with the person walking into the house/garden, he just needs permission to let them in first.
He is a fantastic family dog, so happy, his tail never stops wagging, he loves to play, go for walks, he wants to play with all the dogs, but he's equally as happy to walk past them if that's what you want him to do, he's also equally happy to stay home all day and sleep.
He is so so intelligent, learns things very very quickly, and is eager to learn, but a training session has to be short and to the point, he's not the type of dog to repeatedly ask him to sit for 30min, he does get bored, and just lies down, turns onto his back and pulls silly faces at you! he does need boundaries, and does like to know what's expected of him though
He does love to be close to you, if you go to the toilet he won't come in (he would if you let him; he's tried to climb into the shower with me before so he's now not allowed to go in the bathroom!) but it's guaranteed he will be waiting right outside the door.
His best friend is my toy poodle, they love each other, one won't go out for a pee unless the other comes along too! (he knows not to do his business in the garden so will ask to be taken out when he needs it)
Oh and they don't shed :)
Unfortunately the colour choice is very limited, they only come in black :p
Most people don't have a clue what he is, so no stigma attached, he's just a happy fluffy bear trotting towards them wagging his tail with his tongue hanging out :)

image-8534f00b0b94df763d7fdf5a3eba3fc7d07282841fdbe3c2cde9e445da859497-V_zpsaze3xyff.jpg

DSC_0913_zpsw2oocmmy.jpg

IMG_20150522_000000_zpsuow2ov0e.jpg

I met one of these recently, about the size of a Shetland pony, beautiful dog.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Oh this is the first time I've seen this thread Sprout, I did wonder if I'd missed something! Sorry to hear that Pip's not doing so well :(

I haven't got any advice but I do love the look of the Black Russian Terrier, he looks like a very large version of the office dog at one of my of clients.

Doormouse

Visit site
My rescue lab is the most gentle and affectionate girl but she has a great bark and growl with strangers and makes us all feel safe. She is very protective of my toddler too.

Sprout

PPP I have never heard of that breed ..... off to read up more about them .... yours sounds a wonderful character.

JB, Pip is suddenly ageing really fast, is VERY arthritic, developed some nasty lumps, cant really be bothered to guard much any more ..... so just doing some homework for the future!

sport horse

Visit site
Flat coats are known as the 'Peter Pan' of the dog world because they take a long time to mature but they are delightful dogs. However the breed in the UK is troubled greatly with cancer - I have had four and each one lived less time than its predecessor. The last one died of cancer aged only 5 years and was treated by a very well known vet practice that pleaded with me not to get another for the time being. I did speak to some breeders at Crufts and it seems that some breeders are now importing foreign blood lines to try and eliminate the problem. All I can suggest is to ask to see both parents and try to establish the ages of grandparents etc to assure yourself you are buying into a healthy line. They are hugely fun dogs and I really miss having one.

Sprout

Sport Horse - so sorry to hear you lost your Flatty atvsuch a young age.
It seems that the Burnese Mountain Dogs are also having the same problems, which is such a shame.
Thanks for your advice.

Tern

Visit site
If you want a guard dog Czech Shepherds are great although not as easy to come by in this country. German Shepherds.

Labs are fun but very excitable.