Greatest Olympians

KautoStar1

Visit site
So, who is your greatest Olympian ?

Mine are Carl Hester, Sir Steve Redgrave & Sir Bradley Wiggins. For their consistency and longevity over many years and as leaders in their field, pushing their team mates to bigger and better things over and over again. Gentlemen I salute you.

deb_l222

Visit site
Hmm had to have a good think about this as there's so many to pick from but here's my top 10, so to speak (don't think there's actually 10). They're not all British, hope that's allowed ha ha.

Nadia Comaneci & Olga Korbut - I did a lot of gymnastics as a kid and these two pushed the boundaries in their day.

Michael Phelps - an absolute legend in his own lifetime. He's a cocky so and so but has the phenomenal talent to back it up.

Daley Thompson - when GB were pretty rubbish at anything Olympic, he was the shining light of the British team.

Sir Chris Hoy - lots of cyclists to pick from but (for me) Chris Hoy is the complete package. The ultimate competitor, totally committed to racing but a very humble person.

Not particularly a great Olympian but the person who has captured the feeling of the games for me is Justin Rose (golf). He has totally embraced golf being back in the Olympics, supported other events, attended the opening ceremony and won gold, just to top it off.

spookypony

Visit site
Reiner Klimke. Only just surpassed in medals by Werth, competed in TWO equestrian disciplines at the Olympics (was an eventer first!), kept up a hard-core career as a lawyer while training his own horses, was a showman without parallel (those flying changes!), rode in 6 Olympics (with 6 Golds and 2 Bronze), and was preparing for his 7th when he died unexpectedly.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Reiner Klimke. Only just surpassed in medals by Werth, competed in TWO equestrian disciplines at the Olympics (was an eventer first!), kept up a hard-core career as a lawyer while training his own horses, was a showman without parallel (those flying changes!), rode in 6 Olympics (with 6 Golds and 2 Bronze), and was preparing for his 7th when he died unexpectedly.

Yes, Reiner Klimke absolutely. A wonderful horseman, and a lovely human being too. Reminds me of a certain Mr. Hester....

smja

Visit site
Steve Redgrave, Chris Hoy, and Jess Ennis-Hill. Great competitors, nice people, and embodiments of good sportsmanship.

Carl Hester. Trainer, owner, mentor, rider - he does so much for our dressage team.

sasquatch

Visit site
Usain Bolt. Say what you want about him being cocky etc., but the man is an absolute freak of nature! Really interesting on the TV coverage when they were speaking about his height the other day and how he shouldn't be able to run the way he does, because he is so tall he would have bad starts and need more distance than 100m to get his speed up, but somehow he does it.

Mark Todd, I think is also the Brazilian team manager? and he's still riding and competing.

Ian Miller's achievements can't be overlooked, either.

Simone Biles, Nadia Comaneci & Olga Korbut. I have huge admiration for gymnasts.
I think Oksana Chusovitina deserves a mention too, she's a 41 year old gymnast who managed to get into the vault final. It's her 7th Olympics, and she kept competing for so long to help fund her son's cancer treatments (he's now cancer-free!)